HTC to announce two new VR headsets

dburne

It is a SteamVR platform, so you can buy any combination of SteamVR base station/controller and use with the Vive Pro 2. 

The problem with the Vive Pro 1 audio is that headphones need to be compressed against your ear to get a complete seal in order to get good sounds.  I hope they improve the audio aspect on the Pro 2, but again I’m buying this because of the video specs not audio.  

PC: 5800X3D/4090, 11700K/3090, 9900K/2080Ti.

Joystick bases: TMW, VPC WarBRD, MT50CM2, VKB GFII, FSSB R3L

Joystick grips: TM (Warthog, F/A-18C), Realsimulator (F-16SGRH, F-18CGRH), VKB (Kosmosima LH, MCG, MCG Pro), VPC MongoosT50-CM2

Throttles: TMW, Winwing Super Taurus, Logitech Throttle Quadrant, Realsimulator Throttle (soon)

VR: HTC Vive/Pro, Oculus Rift/Quest 2, Valve Index, Varjo Aero, https://forum.dcs.world/topic/300065-varjo-aero-general-guide-for-new-owners/

Dual/stacked lens design like the Valve Index likely for wide area of focus and 120 degree FOV.  

It’s coming out in a few weeks, so wait for my review if you are undecided. 

Joystick grips: TM (Warthog, F/A-18C), Realsimulator (F-16SGRH, F-18CGRH), VKB (Kosmosima LH, MCG, MCG Pro), VPC MongoosT50-CM2

Throttles: TMW, Winwing Super Taurus, Logitech Throttle Quadrant, Realsimulator Throttle (soon)

VR: HTC Vive/Pro, Oculus Rift/Quest 2, Valve Index, Varjo Aero, https://forum.dcs.world/topic/300065-varjo-aero-general-guide-for-new-owners/

16 minutes ago, Supmua said:

Dual/stacked lens design like the Valve Index likely for wide area of focus and 120 degree FOV.  

It’s coming out in a few weeks, so wait for my review if you are undecided. 

oh, I've pre-ordered already. 🙂

I didn't realize Index used the stack lens design as well. Man, so that's probably the reason why it's got so much glare since it's using 2 Fresnels instead of one. Sigh...  Can't have it all with this VR headset stuff..

Being how I just recently added an Index to my inventory of VR hardware, I will hold off on this one for a bit.

Using Index for made for VR games , and Reverb G2 for flight sims.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

I think so...at $799 compared to the G2's $599 it's not twice as expensive and what's a few more bucks to get another 600x300pixels and 30deg of fov and +30hz and better sound/comfort/tracking...we are flight simmers right?

Edited by unltd
  • Like 1

Ryzen 5950x PBO | MSI RTX 3090 | 32gb 3600 RAM | 2 x SSD | Quest 3 | TM Warthog

11 minutes ago, unltd said:

I think so...at $799 compared to the G2's $599 it's not twice as expensive and what's a few more bucks to get another 600x300pixels and 30deg of fov and +30hz and better sound/comfort/tracking...we are flight simmers right?

I have the G2, and if I wanted this I would need to spend a bit more than $799, correct? Or else I'd have a really nice paper weight?

Modules: Wright Flyer, Spruce Goose, Voyager 1

31 minutes ago, unltd said:

Yes, true...like another $400 but we're DCS simmers...lol  $$$$$$$

Having just recently got the Index Kit, I already have the tracking equipment needed.

Should I desire to drop yet more money into VR again so soon.

Think I am going to wait a bit on this one and see what others think...

Or I may sell my EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3 that I have been holding on to as a backup if needed, that should cover it should the urge become irresistible lol.

Edited by dburne

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

They offering another $50 off for Vive Pro owners for limited time... I'm tempted but hesitating because I know my aging PC wont be able to take advantage of all the new pixels.  And still can't find a graphic card.  Guess I'll just put it as business expense.

Edited by Taz1004

20 minutes ago, Taz1004 said:

They offering another $50 off for Vive Pro owners for limited time... I'm tempted but hesitating because I know my aging PC wont be able to take advantage of all the new pixels.  And still can't find a graphic card.  Guess I'll just put it as business expense.

hey buddy, we can always find a way to rationalize our sim/VR addiction... 

"hi group, my name is Jav, and I'm a VR-holic...." 🙂

• Like 1

MSI MAG Z790 Carbon, i9-13900k, NH-D15 cooler, 64 GB CL40 6000mhz RAM, MSI RTX4090, Yamaha 5.1 A/V Receiver, 4x 2TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe, 1x 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD, Win 11 Pro, TM Warthog, Virpil WarBRD, MFG Crosswinds, 43" Samsung 4K TV, 21.5 Acer VT touchscreen, TrackIR, Varjo Aero, Wheel Stand Pro Super Warthog, Phanteks Enthoo Pro2 Full Tower Case, Seasonic GX-1200 ATX3 PSU, PointCTRL, Buttkicker 2, K-51 Helicopter Collective Control

2 hours ago, unltd said:

You know it doesn't really work without the base stations right?

And if you do want to do any other VR, you're going to need controllers.

It's not a $799 complete VR experience, it's $1399 and right now, it's an unknown quantity since review units haven't really made it into anyone's hands.

Personally I'm waiting. The G2 is fine for now, if the HTC is better that's great I may upgrade later on but so far it's not exactly blowing my skirt up.

Edited by FoxTwo
  • Like 2

It looks like the Vive Focus 3 might also be compatible with SteamVR via USB-C cable (like the Quest 2), according to VROasis.  Personally, I like the design of the Focus 3 better especially that swappable battery pack module; but the Pro 2 is cheaper and seems a better option for PCVR with good backward compatibility with existing accessories.

1 hour ago, DigitalEngine said:

That may cause me to go for the Vive Pro 2, along with having to do a new system build to support it... :noexpression:

HTC's Vive Pro 2 webpage link

With the advent of Reshade, DCS experience on my Valve Index and current PC setup has been phenomenal especially with the new weather engine.  Can’t wait to see how much better it will be with this new headset.  It will be worth the upgrade when paired with the right CPU and GPU.

15 hours ago, Taz1004 said:

I cannot find any info on a discount for Vive Pro owners.  Do you have a link?  Is that in addition to or the same as the $50 off for signing up for the email?

I don’t either. Just sub to their mailing list and you should get the code. 

I hate myself for it, but I pre-ordered one and ordered a set of base stations and valve knuckle controllers.   Probably paid a little more than I would have if I waited for the entire kit, but then I wouldn't have knuckle controllers, which I have no use for VR controllers in DCS, but,  I hope to enjoy other VR titles as well.  

I am dubious at the aspect of such a high resolution's impact on performance, but I have friends using the G2 and they seem to be enjoying it.   

Frankly, for me, the biggest factor was the fact that it's adjustable up to 72mm IPD, which I have around a 72mm IPD.    I'd have probably bought the reverb already if not for the fact that they max out at a 68 IPD adjustment.  

This should be a pretty big upgrade from my OG Odyssey.. not even the plus version.    Although.. I have everything setup to run at 60fps, with my HMD at 60hz right now and am a little scared of going back to any form of motion reprojection. 

I figure if performance is horrible or motion reprojection ruins it for me I can likely return the headset.. and I've been wanting to try pairing the knuckles with my WMR headset for awhile now. 

Edited by Headwarp
Spoiler

Win 11 Pro, z790 i9 13900k, RTX 4090 , 64GB DDR 6400GB, OS and DCS are on separate pci-e 4.0 drives 

Sim hardware - VKB MCG Ultimate with 200mm extension, Virpil T-50CM3 Dual throttles.   Blackhog B-explorer (A), TM Cougar MFD's (two), MFG Crosswinds with dampener.   Obutto R3volution gaming pit.  

20 hours ago, dburne said:

Having just recently got the Index Kit, I already have the tracking equipment needed.

Should I desire to drop yet more money into VR again so soon.

Think I am going to wait a bit on this one and see what others think...

Or I may sell my EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3 that I have been holding on to as a backup if needed, that should cover it should the urge become irresistible lol.

buddy, I can almost make a prediction...  🙂

• Like 2

MSI MAG Z790 Carbon, i9-13900k, NH-D15 cooler, 64 GB CL40 6000mhz RAM, MSI RTX4090, Yamaha 5.1 A/V Receiver, 4x 2TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe, 1x 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD, Win 11 Pro, TM Warthog, Virpil WarBRD, MFG Crosswinds, 43" Samsung 4K TV, 21.5 Acer VT touchscreen, TrackIR, Varjo Aero, Wheel Stand Pro Super Warthog, Phanteks Enthoo Pro2 Full Tower Case, Seasonic GX-1200 ATX3 PSU, PointCTRL, Buttkicker 2, K-51 Helicopter Collective Control

2 minutes ago, javelina1 said:

Lol don't even...

Don B

15 hours ago, javelina1 said:

Ok I caved... ugh.

Time to finally sell my 2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra I guess.

• Like 1

Don B

HTC has clarified the 120 degree FOV of the Vive Pro 2 is actually horizontal, which is great.

Don B