Jump to content

MiG-15 no rudder input needed to maintain coordinated turns


Recommended Posts

MiG-15 no rudder input needed to maintain coordinated turns. It didn't used to be this way but now, even when turning as hard as you can, the ball stays perfectly centered without requiring any rudder input. That can't be right, can it? Sabre and F-5 also seem to have this issue now. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 3 weeks later...
On 5/23/2021 at 12:25 AM, Nealius said:

Your question was already answered here:

 


That is incorrect. It's physically impossible. Yes, there's not a LOT of adverse yaw, but there has to be adverse yaw. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

And yet real fighter pilots say it's correct. 

 

Are you more experienced and more knowledgeable than real fighter pilots?

YouTube Channel: "Clutch"

 

Z390 Aorus Elite | i5-9600k @5.0Ghz | RTX3060 12GB | 32GB DDR4 | Windows 10 | Quest 2 | Warthog HOTAS | Sahaj 20cm Extension

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

EDIT: [DELETED] I've mixed up two threads. Sorry for making mess 😧


Edited by scoobie

i7-8700K GTX1060(6GB) 32GB 27"@1080p TM Hawg HOTAS TPR TIR3 SD-XL button/pot box
UH1 Mi8 Ka50 AJS37 10CII 18 5 86 MiG15 109 Spit 51 47 A8 superc. all maps

Link to post
Share on other sites

The A-10C is doing it too! Even with Yaw SAS turned off! This CANNOT be right!

Can we please have a developer verify that the variable that was previously used to enable auto-rudder is actually set to off and not on or undefined, please?

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
On 5/27/2021 at 10:14 PM, SMH said:

The A-10C is doing it too! Even with Yaw SAS turned off! This CANNOT be right!

The A-10C is doing it too because it does IRL as well:   The dual channel SAS provides rate damping in both the pitch and yaw axis as well as automatic turn coordination. 

 

If the yaw behavior with yaw SAS on and off is identical, it's because the flight model isn't so sophisticated that it simulates this 'failure' case.


Edited by bbrz

i7-7700K 4.2GHz, 16GB, GTX 1070 

Link to post
Share on other sites

The adverse yaw one is a funny one, there are many ways aircraft designers compensate for it, differential aliarons, powered ones, aerodynamic balancing. 

The thing that needs to be remembered is that the faster an aircraft goes the more lift it is producing and the more it can hang on so to speak, at lower speeds it becomes less stable and is more noticable however a lot of the aircraft we have in the sim are not so suseptable to adverse yaw but more so stalling at high aoa causing the aircraft to osciliate laterally. especially in winds. also another thing is that adverse yaw is not entirely to blame when it comes to flying coordinated. prop aircraft have torque and gyroscopic forces where are jets lack this meaning they get significantly less force to counter. also why its easier imo to fly a jet trimmed then it is a prop aircraft. 

 

low speeds and high alpha jets most certainly need the rudder, more so on the older aircraft like the mig 15 and 21, new aircraft not so much as some have roll coupled rudders iirc. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 3 weeks later...
On 5/30/2021 at 3:10 PM, zcrazyx said:

The adverse yaw one is a funny one, there are many ways aircraft designers compensate for it, differential aliarons, powered ones, aerodynamic balancing. 

The thing that needs to be remembered is that the faster an aircraft goes the more lift it is producing and the more it can hang on so to speak, at lower speeds it becomes less stable and is more noticable however a lot of the aircraft we have in the sim are not so suseptable to adverse yaw but more so stalling at high aoa causing the aircraft to osciliate laterally. especially in winds. also another thing is that adverse yaw is not entirely to blame when it comes to flying coordinated. prop aircraft have torque and gyroscopic forces where are jets lack this meaning they get significantly less force to counter. also why its easier imo to fly a jet trimmed then it is a prop aircraft. 

 

low speeds and high alpha jets most certainly need the rudder, more so on the older aircraft like the mig 15 and 21, new aircraft not so much as some have roll coupled rudders iirc. 


That sounds right to me. So how is it I can do this with no rudder input at this low speed? (There is a very slight deflection of the ball here. But if you go much faster than this there's virtually none.)

 

Screen_210616_040844.png

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, SMH said:


That sounds right to me. So how is it I can do this with no rudder input at this low speed? (There is a very slight deflection of the ball here. But if you go much faster than this there's virtually none.)

 

Screen_210616_040844.png

Hmm perhaps it could be to do with the wing fences stopping downwash from root to tip of the wing? im not so sure how much of an effect they would have. I think the only logical way to test it would be to compare the in game aircraft with a real one

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, zcrazyx said:

Hmm perhaps it could be to do with the wing fences stopping downwash from root to tip of the wing? im not so sure how much of an effect they would have. I think the only logical way to test it would be to compare the in game aircraft with a real one


I've actually asked a real MiG-15 pilot (who confirmed my assumptions) to join us in this discussion. Perhaps he will. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...