Oculus Quest 2 VR DCS problem

Viciam1

Hi guys,

So up until about 2 weeks ago my DCS had been running amazingly smooth for 3/4 months when I first hooked up the quest 2 VR.

Since a couple of weeks ago, I changed over to openbeta from steam and it stuttered like crazy with low fps. I tried playing around with many settings such as in game PD...PD in the oculus debug tool but no luck.

I thought it may be an issue with 2.7 so I changed back to stable 2.5 on steam. But the stutters are here too now and I dnt know what to do. there was an update with Oculus around the same time i changed over to openbeta so not sure where the issue is.

Can anyone help? Also...if i restart my PC and go into dcs...it runs fine and smooth even in busy multiplayer servers. But if i close dcs and log on again say 5 mins later...it stutters. I need to restart my PC in order to play DCS smoothly.

Can anyone help please?

i9 10th gen
RTX 3080
32GB ram.

Edited by Viciam1

Better ask over at the dedicated VR subforum, more chance of a "hit".

https://forums.eagle.ru/forum/302-virtual-reality/

Win11 Pro 64-bit, Ryzen 5800X3D, Corsair H115i, Gigabyte X570S UD, EVGA 3080Ti XC3 Ultra 12GB, 64 GB DDR4 G.Skill 3600. Monitors: LG 27GL850-B27 2560x1440 + Samsung SyncMaster 2443 1920x1200, HOTAS: Warthog with Virpil WarBRD base, MFG Crosswind combat pedals, TrackIR4, Rift-S.

Personal Wish List: A6 Intruder, Vietnam theater, decent ATC module, better VR performance!

Thanks. I should follow up the above with the below after hours of testing....

If I restart my PC...the game runs smoothly and all is wonderful. I get a constant 36fps and If I turn the ASW OFF with oculus it can go upto 72fps which is real nice. The issue seems to happen when I quit DCS and then want to play again some time later...I only get 20 fps and stuttering and its unplayable. I have to restart my PC  then launch DCS again and then it runs fine.

Any ideas what could be happening here?

Have you checked your Resolution settings in SteamVR? Are you using Oculus link with a cable or Virtual desktop wireless though Steam VR?

I don't have the Steam Version so not sure how the VR Stack works, maybe try downloading the Stand alone version instead???

Mods I use: KA-50 JTAC - Better Fire and Smoke - Unchain Rudder from trim KA50 - Sim FFB for G940 - Beczl Rocket Pods Updated!

Processor: Intel Q6600 @ 3.00GHz

GPU: GeForce MSI RTX 2060 6GB

RAM: Crucial 8GB DDR2

HDD: 1TBGB Crucial SSD

Peripherals: Logitech G940 Hotas, TrackiR 5, Voice Activated commands , Sharkoon 5.1 headset. ,Touch Control for iPad, JoyToKey

I solved the stuttering by running at 72hz in the oculus software and locking frame rate at 72hz in nvidia software. 

I have only played single player for the moment, but im putting a ton of units in missions. 

rtx 2070 super

ryzen 7 3900 (I think)

motherboard has it running at 4.4mhz with just the built in overclocking in bios. 
64gb ddr4 (never peak above 35gb at high distance view setting in DCS)

if I use frame rate counter it stays around 36 even at airfield and carrier. From my experience, consistent frame rate over high frame rate as long as you stay above 30-35. 

DCS have inefficient VRAM usage structure. (Especially in multiplayer)

Therefore,  It's better to vram headroom be adjusted sufficiently.

In my case, possible to play normally on Growling Sidewinder Server.

My system 

RTX3080, Ryzen5 5600, oculus quest 2 link(not air, 80hz 5408x2736, bitrate 350), 36GbRAM

texture medium, terrain texture low, shadow low, cockpit dosplay res 512, msaa x2 , af x4, pd 1.0

I'm setting up conservative for the vram headroom.

Edited by Ahogephilia

On 5/7/2021 at 5:01 AM, Ahogephilia said:

DCS have inefficient VRAM usage structure. (Especially in multiplayer)

Therefore,  It's better to vram headroom be adjusted sufficiently.

In my case, possible to play normally on Growling Sidewinder Server.

My system 

RTX3080, Ryzen5 5600, oculus quest 2 link(not air, 80hz 5408x2736, bitrate 350), 36GbRAM

texture medium, terrain texture low, shadow low, cockpit dosplay res 512, msaa x2 , af x4, pd 1.0

I'm setting up conservative for the vram headroom.

Do you get a solid 90FPS on Quest2 with those settings on a RTX3080? because if you where running flat screen you would be getting 200+ FPS I'm sure. 

Mods I use: KA-50 JTAC - Better Fire and Smoke - Unchain Rudder from trim KA50 - Sim FFB for G940 - Beczl Rocket Pods Updated!

Peripherals: Logitech G940 Hotas, TrackiR 5, Voice Activated commands , Sharkoon 5.1 headset. ,Touch Control for iPad, JoyToKey

14 hours ago, jib said:

Do you get a solid 90FPS on Quest2 with those settings on a RTX3080? because if you where running flat screen you would be getting 200+ FPS I'm sure. 

possible in Freeflight mode.

But In complex missions or large multi-play, it only maintains +40 fps.

That sounds like the processor is the bottleneck then, you might be able to bump up your graphics settings without losing any FPS if your GPU is not at 100% but DCS VR does hurt performance more than almost anything so who knows!

• 1 month later...

Sounds like a Memory issue .

Check memory cache in win10 .

Restarting computer clears the memory cache .

Also F10 map and outside views build up memory cache .

Stutters more or less are caused by lack of memory please check your memory cache  . 

Hoggit server 19GB cache started to get stutters .

Had to restart computer to clear . 

Gigabyte - X570 UD ~ Ryzen - 5600X @ 4.7 - Pulse - RX-6800 -  XPG 32:GB @ 3200 - VKB - Gunfighter 4 - STECs - Throttle - Crosswinds Rudders - Trackir 5 .

I'm a dot . Pico Nero 3 link VR . @ 4k

Win 11 Pro 64Bit .

1 hour ago, KoN said:

Sounds like a Memory issue .

Check memory cache in win10 .

Restarting computer clears the memory cache .

Also F10 map and outside views build up memory cache .

Stutters more or less are caused by lack of memory please check your memory cache  . 

Hoggit server 19GB cache started to get stutters .

Had to restart computer to clear . 

It also happens after respawning several times in a plane. It become slide show even ni the menues and the only solution is shutdown DCS, Steam VR and WMR.

It will be nice if there is any investigation in place because it did not happen with the original 2.7 version as this started to happen in the last patch for the cloud jitter. 

Another changed after the patching, when opening the rearm refuel windows it takes at least 6 seconds just to pop, something that in the past was instant. 

Edited by NaCH

Yes ive noticed the weapons window delay . Its a shame as DCS looks amazing in VR . But its just not optimized . 

Edited by KoN

Gigabyte - X570 UD ~ Ryzen - 5600X @ 4.7 - Pulse - RX-6800 -  XPG 32:GB @ 3200 - VKB - Gunfighter 4 - STECs - Throttle - Crosswinds Rudders - Trackir 5 .

I'm a dot . Pico Nero 3 link VR . @ 4k

Win 11 Pro 64Bit .