Question regarding the LSO Main screen reticle/crosshair and the Ball

TimRobertsen

After about a month off, Im back doing some carrierlandings 🎉

According to the DCS Supercarrier Guide, the LSO Main Screen crosshair aims for a 3-degree glideslope, but on the LSO Main Screen it says that B/A is 3,5 degree. All the while the Ball is set for a 3,5-degree glideslope. There is clearly a mismatch here, if you fly the Ball spot-on you’ll be a slightly above the LSO Crosshair.

Does anyone know the reason for the discrepancy/deviation?

First become an aviator, then become a terminator

The PLAT is not used for GS calls. Additionally BA being 3.5 doesnt mean the GS will be. You're right though, there is a mismatch. Luckily you guys are all waving properly using the PLAT only for lineup, and your calibrated eyeball for GS...right?

476th Discord   |    476th Website    |    Swift Youtube
Ryzen 5800x, RTX 4070ti, 64GB, Quest 2

9 minutes ago, Swiftwin9s said:

The PLAT is not used for GS calls. Additionally BA being 3.5 doesnt mean the GS will be. You're right though, there is a mismatch. Luckily you guys are all waving properly using the PLAT only for lineup, and your calibrated eyeball for GS...right?

Im no expert, but that seems odd, considering that the LSO-screen has a bunch of information: Hook-to-eye, Hook-to-ramp, Hook Touchdown, Basic Angle, all of which are lateral information, for the setup of the PLAT-camera's angle/glideslope. Or am I completely off here?

Additionally, the PLAT-camera seems to be gyro-stabilized (Im not sure if that is the case IRL), wouldn't that make it the most precise instrument for estimating if an aircraft is on-glideslope? The Ball is fixed, as far as I know, so waves would throw it off.

If B/A isn't glideslope, then what is it? If B/A is the angle between waterline and crosshair-center, then it seems pretty glideslopy to me 😆

To me it seems that if the pilots head is in dead center of the PLAT-crosshair when the hook hits the deck, you catch a good 3rd wire everytime (from my obervation atleast).

First become an aviator, then become a terminator

Basic angle is the angle that the ball / icls glideslope is aimed up.  This is normally 3.5 degrees.  However, the way I understand it, remaining on this guidance effectively yeilds a roughly 3.0 degree slope flown by the aircraft, because of ship movement.  If the ship were stationary, you'd fly a 3.5 degree slope, but the source of your guidance is running away from you. 

3.0 is the effective glideslope, due to the relative movement as you say. However, the LOS from the carrier to the plane should always be 3.5 regardless at all points, for a 3.5 B/E that is. In any case, as Swift said, the PLAT crosshair could be misscalibrated for a lot of reasons as it is not a primary reference. Also, it shouldn't pitch up/down with the deck as it currently does in DCS (as you can see in all the YT pitching deck footage available)

Edited by Ahmed

7 hours ago, Ahmed said:

3.0 is the effective glideslope, due to the relative movement as you say. However, the LOS from the carrier to the plane should always be 3.5 regardless at all points, for a 3.5 B/E that is. In any case, as Swift said, the PLAT crosshair could be misscalibrated for a lot of reasons as it is not a primary reference. Also, it shouldn't pitch up/down with the deck as it currently does in DCS (as you can see in all the YT pitching deck footage available)

You'll have to remind me also. Isn't basic angle the angle of the IFLOLS, add into that the roll angle and it gives you the GS when lined up. Then from that GS the effective GS factors in the movement of the ship and the WOD.

476th Discord   |    476th Website    |    Swift Youtube
Ryzen 5800x, RTX 4070ti, 64GB, Quest 2