FPS drop in DCS 2.7, Time for a new PC?

Hello together!

Last week i changed from the 2.5.6 stable version to 2.7 open beta. As described in several threads i noticed also a massive frame drop in offline and, off course, in online missions. So i'm thinking about a new graphic card. Maybe a RTX 3090. In the case i'm able to buy one does it make sense to install this card to my old PC (i7-4770 CPU @ 3.40GHz, 32 GB RAM) or should i invest in a new PC? Usually i use a Oculus Rift CV 2. But thinking also about a better one with more resolution (any suggestions?).  Also i will use VRfree gloves.

Thanks a lot for information

Christian

so if you can afford to do it all, do it all... what is your current GFX card? a 3090 (or realistically any high end 3xxx card) would be pretty well bottle necked by the 4 series processor and motherboard it sits on...  

but finding a 3090 at sensible money might be hard as well.  so if you can't afford to do it all, would you get any benefit from a 3090... probably some (maybe even a lot depending on where you are currently bottle necked/existing gfx card, but you would need a more modern processor and MB to unlock its true potential. 

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-9700K @ 5.1 GHz, 32Gb RAM, EVGA 3090 XC3, Dell S2716DG, Thrustmaster Warthog + MFG Crosswinds V2, HP Reverb G2 @ 2836 x 2768
SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro x64, VoiceAttack & VIACOM PRO, TacView

VR Stuff:   My Settings for 3090 and G2  My Settings for 1080ti  Shaders MOD for VR  My variant of Kegetys mod with clear water and also IC PASS for current beta & stable, Patch Status

1569924735_WildcardsBadgerFAASig.jpg.dbb8c2a337e37c2bfb12855f86d70fd5.jpg

you have read that there is someone on this lucky forum who owns a 3090 and has had problems anyway.

Inviato dal mio SM-G950F utilizzando Tapatalk

“Quando camminerete sulla terra dopo aver volato, guarderete il cielo perché là siete stati e là vorrete tornare.”

i cannot recommend a RTX 3090 at all , the main problem with DCS is just a horrible optimization, On Syria with a chopper (KA50) i can't get more than 60 FPS, i have some drop to 20

I7 5930K

64 gb ram

RTX 3090

running in 2560X1080

a friend with a 6900XT got better result in 2K.

DCS can't exploit the power of RTX 3XXX series

• Like 1
2 hours ago, ThoWmas31 said:

i cannot recommend a RTX 3090 at all , the main problem with DCS is just a horrible optimization, On Syria with a chopper (KA50) i can't get more than 60 FPS, i have some drop to 20

I7 5930K

64 gb ram

RTX 3090

running in 2560X1080

a friend with a 6900XT got better result in 2K.

DCS can't exploit the power of RTX 3XXX series

Of the few VR games I play id say DCS is middle of the road optimized / performance. I am running a much lesser GPU then a 3090 and am often limited by my CPU which has a much higher single thread performance then your 5930K. You might be gpu limited sitting on the ground not doing anything but from my experience as soon as your actually in a mission your cpu would start limiting you.

Back to the OP if you have enough money that you don't care if you spend $100 or $1000 or 10,000 then get a 3090. It might give you a few % performance points over something much cheaper like a 3080 otherwise is pretty much just throwing money away.

If you want to upgrade id say get a AMD 5600x, 32gb ram, a RTX 3080 and a HP G2 headset. But don't expect to have a high res, super smooth, high fps experience. There is no hardware available yet that will give you that. Probably 15 mins into flying a mission you probably won't care anyway, still a great experience. 

• Like 1

Upgrading for DCS is always disappointing. 
MAYBE when they finally move to the new graphics engine in a few years time newer hardware will be more efficiently utilized but right now it's not worth it in my opionion. 

This goed double considering the hardware non-availability (and insanely inflated prices that come from it)

SATAL : "Summary - Tomcat limited to 2 AIM-54A mk74 Phoenix per aircraft for both Diamond and Gold leagues. All other Phoenix types, AIM-54A mk60 and AIM-54C, are currently banned."

please add track replays showing a performance issue so we can check.

thanks

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 10 Pro x64, NVIDIA MSI RTX 2080Ti VENTUS GP, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 32GB DDR @3000, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2