Why do I have to wait until I get close to airport to contact with it?

ebabil

In some MP servers there are billion units that have atc frequency. So when I want to contact with desired airport or carrier, I need to get close to see it in the f5 atc list. But sometimes I even have to make overhead flight if there are too many ships. Why can not I just hit the mic button and talk to dialled freq? Do I really have to select it from the list? 

• Like 3

FC3 | UH-1 | Mi-8 | A-10C II | F/A-18 | Ka-50 III | F-14 | F-16 | AH-64 Mi-24 | F-5 | F-15E| F-4| Tornado

Persian Gulf | Nevada | Syria | NS-430 | Supercarrier // Wishlist: CH-53 | UH-60

Youtube

MS FFB2 - TM Warthog - CH Pro Pedals - Trackir 5

Absolutely...I have the EXACT same concern.  Also, even with VAICOM have to wait until within like 10 miles before I can call Strike/Marshall inbound.

Edited by Mower
  • Like 1

"You see, IronHand is my thing"

My specs:  W10 Pro, I5/11600K o/c to 4800 @1.32v, 64 GB 3200 XML RAM, ASUS RTX3060ti/8GB.

I don't know how this works in aviation,

I work in maritime industry, and I know that marinas don't have their radios set to max or in some marinas they don't even have radios of that power, only like 15nm range so that they don't hear when you call some other marina from a location 50nm away from them,that way all marinas are on the same channel, 17, And that way they reduce all the unnecessary chatter, why would they like to hear a boat reporting his approach to some other marina.

However there is a station that tracks emergency calls etc all the time and that station has strong radios, plus that is another channel. And for all other stuff you have preset channels with longer range etc etc.

Might be the case with ATC aswell,

cause why would lets say Al Dharfa ATC hear your inbound transmissions to Ras Al Khaimah for example, they don't need that info and they have no use of that, all they get is too much unnecessary info on the channel.

Edited by Furiz

On 5/5/2021 at 3:53 PM, Furiz said:

I don't know how this works in aviation,

I work in maritime industry, and I know that marinas don't have their radios set to max or in some marinas they don't even have radios of that power, only like 15nm range so that they don't hear when you call some other marina from a location 50nm away from them,that way all marinas are on the same channel, 17, And that way they reduce all the unnecessary chatter, why would they like to hear a boat reporting his approach to some other marina.

However there is a station that tracks emergency calls etc all the time and that station has strong radios, plus that is another channel. And for all other stuff you have preset channels with longer range etc etc.

Might be the case with ATC aswell,

cause why would lets say Al Dharfa ATC hear your inbound transmissions to Ras Al Khaimah for example, they don't need that info and they have no use of that, all they get is too much unnecessary info on the channel.

In Aviation,  ATC facilities use different seperate frequencies in order to not get this problem of having tons of unwanted transmissions to other stations filling up their frequency and because transmissions & receptions have to be made at much longer ranges than just 15NM.

I doubt that you will find two  ATC facilities within 200 NM(or likely even more)  of each other that use the same identical frequency. (with the exception of guard frequency that is monitored by all , but that is something entirely else and on purpose for emergencies , probably very similar to same concept in marine use.  ).

Edited by Snappy
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Furiz said:

Yep I agree, but still I doubt they have more than 50nm range for ATC.

SOP for carrier recovery is to contact ATC at 40 50nm. I bet they can handle much more.

Edited by draconus

🖥️ Win10  i7-10700KF  32GB  RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M  TWCS  TFRP   ✈️ FC3  F-14A/B  F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR  PG  Syria

2 minutes ago, draconus said:

SOP for carrier recovery is to contact ATC at 40nm.

Ah I didn't know that: I have been using 60nm as much as possible, as that seems to be when you get into range of the ship's radar. It seemed like the right thing to do, to announce my presence and intentions as soon as they see a blip on their radar screen 😉 

Spoiler

Ryzen 9 5900X | 64GB G.Skill TridentZ 3600 | Gigabyte RX6900XT | ASUS ROG Strix X570-E GAMING | Samsung 990Pro 2TB + 960Pro 1TB NMVe | HP Reverb G2
Pro Flight Trainer Puma | VIRPIL MT-50CM2+3 base / CM2 x2 grip with 200 mm S-curve extension + CM3 throttle + CP2/3 + FSSB R3L + VPC Rotor TCS Plus base with SharKa-50 grip mounted on Monstertech MFC-1 | TPR rudder pedals

OpenXR | PD 1.0 | 100% render resolution | DCS "HIGH" preset

27 minutes ago, Raven (Elysian Angel) said:

Ah I didn't know that: I have been using 60nm as much as possible, as that seems to be when you get into range of the ship's radar. It seemed like the right thing to do, to announce my presence and intentions as soon as they see a blip on their radar screen 😉 

Sorry, it's 50nm or closer. It's in the DCS Supercarrier manual.

• Like 1

🖥️ Win10  i7-10700KF  32GB  RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M  TWCS  TFRP   ✈️ FC3  F-14A/B  F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR  PG  Syria