Is it useful to go from 8600k to 5600x or more for DCS VR ?

dureiken

Hi guys and experts !

I actually have a 8600k@5.2ghz and a 2080ti, planning to go to a 6800xt or 6900xt.

I am wondering if for DS in VR it's useful to upgrade my CPU too. I see a lot of benchmarks but CPU are at different frequencies.

My 8600k runs pretty fast, even if I go with a 5600x or 5800x @5.0ghz, do you think I will see any difference or the graphic card and DCS engine is still the limit and I will loose money for nothing ?

thanks for your advices

The conventional thought on these forums is that VR performance is 

limited by the gpu , not the cpu .

Even in 2D , the gain from a 8600k @ 5.2 ghz to a 5600 is micro-minimal if any at all , and would hardly be worth a new cpu and motherboard .

9700k @ stock , Aorus Pro Z390 wifi , 32gb 3200 mhz CL16 , 1tb EVO 970 , MSI RX 6800XT Gaming X TRIO , Seasonic Prime 850w Gold , Coolermaster H500m , Noctua NH-D15S , CH Pro throttle and T50CM2/WarBrD base on Foxxmounts , CH pedals , Reverb G2v2

On 5/9/2021 at 5:48 AM, Svsmokey said:

Even in 2D , the gain from a 8600k @ 5.2 ghz to a 5600 is micro-minimal if any at all , and would hardly be worth a new cpu and motherboard .

Strong disagree. Run any complex multiplayer or single player mission and using fpsvr the cpu is often struggling. Why do you think people are saying potential multi threading with vulkan is going to be an improvement if there is no cpu performance limitations? 

On 5/10/2021 at 11:49 AM, ignition22 said:

Strong disagree. Run any complex multiplayer or single player mission and using fpsvr the cpu is often struggling. Why do you think people are saying potential multi threading with vulkan is going to be an improvement if there is no cpu performance limitations? 

Yes but with actual engine, it's only single thread, isn'it ? so only one core CPU performance ?

On 5/9/2021 at 11:21 PM, shoovie_groove said:

I went from a 3800x to 5800x to 5950x. I saw improvements at each upgrade within DCS

In VR ? what is your HMD and graphic card ? in term of fps or smooth ?

THanks

I recently upgraded my CPU (I kept the same GPU) and on instant action missions with a lot of AI units, I went from FPS that was often in the teens and running like a slide show to a smooth and very playable 40+ FPS, so it was a big improvement for me. But I imagine any improvement you might see will depend on how big an upgrade you're making. I went from a relatively ancient i7-3770 to an i5-11600K.

i5-11600K CPU, 64GB DDR4 RAM, XFX Speedster MERC319 AMD Radeon 6900 XT, Oculus Quest 2, HP Reverb G2

1 hour ago, AlpineGTA said:

I recently upgraded my CPU (I kept the same GPU) and on instant action missions with a lot of AI units, I went from FPS that was often in the teens and running like a slide show to a smooth and very playable 40+ FPS, so it was a big improvement for me. But I imagine any improvement you might see will depend on how big an upgrade you're making. I went from a relatively ancient i7-3770 to an i5-11600K.

yes a huge CPU upgrade

in my case, same frequency or maybe more for my 8600k, single core performance almost the same ? (how to test ?)

thanks

I would hang on to that CPU. 5.2 Ghz stable overclock is pretty high and it's not really that old. Get a graphics card first and see if you need to go for a full upgrade once you get your GPU sorted first. 

Specs: Win10, i5-13600KF, 32GB DDR4 RAM 3200XMP, 1 TB M2 NVMe SSD, KFA2 RTX3090, VR G2 Headset, Warthog Throttle+Saitek Pedals+MSFFB2  Joystick. 

So two years ago I was contemplating to build a new computer or just swap my 970 for a 2080 for DCS world, I opted for the 2080 and saw a huge boost in performance. 2 weeks ago I finally built a new rig going from a 3770K and 16 gig 1600 memory to a 9900k and 32 gig 3600 memory. 

Here is what I noticed, DCS world there is no difference at all as far as I can tell between my old rig and my new rig, single player. multi player both to my eyes play exactly the same.

On the other hand, I also play Assetto Corsa Competizione, my old rig would struggle on low settings and look like I had been poked in both eyes with a stick, dropping to low 20's frame rate. Now my new rig I have everything on high and ultra and am hitting 90 FPS around the track with an occasional drop to high 70's. 

So if you only play DCS world, then IMO the CPU doesn't matter, as I said going from a 9 year old 3770k to a 9900k shows no difference, but if you also play other games, then the CPU upgrade is a must.

GigabyteZ390, 9900K, RTX2080, 32 gig RAM,TM Warthog, Cessna Pro Pedals, Pico 4

On 5/10/2021 at 4:49 AM, ignition22 said:

Because DCS does not effectively use the cpu at present . I went from a i5-6500 to a 9700k and saw very little-to-no performance/graphics improvement . When i (some 10 months later) replaced my  1070 with a 6800xt , the difference was massive . 

9700k @ stock , Aorus Pro Z390 wifi , 32gb 3200 mhz CL16 , 1tb EVO 970 , MSI RX 6800XT Gaming X TRIO , Seasonic Prime 850w Gold , Coolermaster H500m , Noctua NH-D15S , CH Pro throttle and T50CM2/WarBrD base on Foxxmounts , CH pedals , Reverb G2v2

• 2 weeks later...

Hi.

Saw this topic just now. Im not around much in the VR-forum, since Im on 2D.

I changed from a 9600k (quite the same as 8600k) at 5Ghz to a 5600X and saw only little change. In CPU-limited situations maybe a small gain in fps. Maybe +5fps on the SC with lots of planes around. The rare stutters in some scenarios I had, were not resovled by this upgrade. Also had tried 5,2Ghz on the 9600K before with no change. Only going from a 2070Super to a 6700XT resolved that stutters, which is strange since those scenarios all were CPU-limited. Maybe SAM or the supposed smaller overhead of AMD-GPUs??

But I know other people that say, they had good gains going from a 8700K to a 5900X.

I guess, different configurations are too different to make a good judgment. And the CPU is also only one part of the system.

When I still had the Rift S I often used fpsVR, which showed the frametimes for CPU and GPU seperately. I mostly had (tuned to 25ms framteimes) the CPU in the green or yellow, while my GPU was red, red and red.... So a new CPU would not have helped much, only in select CPU-limited situations.

But in general I still keep saying: investing lots of money in hardware for DCS will only give you a small in increase in experience.

If you look at the fps, you may see a small increase, but does if overall increase your experience? Will going from 4x MSAA to 2x MSAA or from 150%SS to 120%SS completly ruin DCS for you?  If you dont conentrate on those small changes, I guess not. But thats only my approach.

Edited by Wali763

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/23/2021 at 10:20 AM, Wali763 said:

Hi.

Saw this topic just now. Im not around much in the VR-forum, since Im on 2D.

I changed from a 9600k (quite the same as 8600k) at 5Ghz to a 5600X and saw only little change. In CPU-limited situations maybe a small gain in fps. Maybe +5fps on the SC with lots of planes around. The rare stutters in some scenarios I had, were not resovled by this upgrade. Also had tried 5,2Ghz on the 9600K before with no change. Only going from a 2070Super to a 6700XT resolved that stutters, which is strange since those scenarios all were CPU-limited. Maybe SAM or the supposed smaller overhead of AMD-GPUs??

But I know other people that say, they had good gains going from a 8700K to a 5900X.

I guess, different configurations are too different to make a good judgment. And the CPU is also only one part of the system.

When I still had the Rift S I often used fpsVR, which showed the frametimes for CPU and GPU seperately. I mostly had (tuned to 25ms framteimes) the CPU in the green or yellow, while my GPU was red, red and red.... So a new CPU would not have helped much, only in select CPU-limited situations.

But in general I still keep saying: investing lots of money in hardware for DCS will only give you a small in increase in experience.

If you look at the fps, you may see a small increase, but does if overall increase your experience? Will going from 4x MSAA to 2x MSAA or from 150%SS to 120%SS completly ruin DCS for you?  If you dont conentrate on those small changes, I guess not. But thats only my approach.

Sorry for the slight OT post - but do you know if the RX6700xt runs the Reverb G2 in 90Hz ? 

Come fly with us : https://discord.gg/tawdcs  TAW CJTF 13 - EU TZ MilSim Squadron

Ryzen 5 5600X | 32GB DDR4 3733| ASUS Radeon RX 6700 XT  | ASrock B550 Phantom Gaming 4 | HP Reverb G2 | Thrustmaster Warthog Throttle , F16 & F18 grips , TFRP Rudders |  Win 10

• 4 weeks later...

Hi

it's not VR but I made some benchmark to see CPU frequency influence on FPS. I tried 4.6, 4.8 and 5.1Ghz, with my 2080Ti almost all settings at max. I made some tests with SSAA 1 and others SSAA 1.5.

816b962ade281700b33bd9e7ef59fb08.png

Here are the results :

a4ebf64375b89eb4de7094cb7908b5f4.png

To sum up : 4.6GHz or 5.1GHz = 2080 Ti bottleneck.

Edited by dureiken

On 5/8/2021 at 12:48 PM, Svsmokey said:

Yes, but DCS in general is CPU bound. That said, If I had an 8600k @ 5.2 ghz, I might just hold out for the upcoming ddr5 stuff.

Going multi-core will significantly improve the experience for many. I think with the introduction of a campaign engine too it'll be necessary as that could well be quite a resource hog. At the moment - if I understand it correctly - DCS uses two cores, one for the sound and one for the sim (ie everything else). Mitigating drops in FPS in high CPU situations (like lots of players / units etc...) will be a godsend.

As for the OP, I think the performance improvement balance is roughly 70/30 split between GPU and CPU.

Now: Water-cooled Ryzen 5800X + 32GB DDR 4 3200 RAM + EVGA 3090 FTW3 Ultra 24 GB + Reverb G2 + Add-on PCI-e 3.1 card + 2x1TB Corsair M.2 4900/4200 + TM HOTAS Warthog + TM TPR Pendular Rudder  'Engaged Defensive' YouTube Channel

Modules: F/A-18C / AV-8B / F-16 / F-15E / F-4E (when it lands) / Persian Gulf / Syria / Nevada / Sinai / South Atlantic

Backup: Water-cooled i7 6700K @ 4.5GHz + 32GB DDR4 3200MHz + GTX 1080 8GB + 1TB M.2 1k drive & 250GB SSD drive 500MBps 4K 40" monitor + TrackIR 5

14 hours ago, cordite said:

Yes, but DCS in general is CPU bound. That said, If I had an 8600k @ 5.2 ghz, I might just hold out for the upcoming ddr5 stuff.

Agreed.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|