How do you use the KY-58 radio system?

secretcode
Go to solution Solved by secretcode,

Whenever I fly with my squadron we set Radio 1 to a General Freq where all flights can talk, and Radio 2 to the inter comms of the flight.

The problem I have is that I need a 3rd radio for the AWACS. I know that the KY-58 radio works on SRS, so I would like to know how to use it so maybe I can set the inter comms of the flight to that system and leave Radio 2 to the AWACS.

So do you know how they work? Do I have so set them in a specific way?

Does that radio system have any pros and cons ?

KY-58 is not a radio, but cryptographic system.

Hornet has only two "radios". But it also has two data link comms - MIDS. Move your flight comm to MIDS.

KY-58 is simulated by SRS, but AFAIK not in DCS, so it doesn't work.

Edited by Foka
  • Like 1

• Solution

Ok I after looking on the Internet I finally got to set 4 different voice channels on SRS on the F18.

I thought the KY-58 would allow me to have extra voice radios. But it has nothing to do with it.

I managed to do it on the D/L settings, the MIDS A (VOC A) and MIDS B (VOC B) voice comms.

DbU2tX7.png

Edited by secretcode
  • Like 2

Yep, the MIDS radios are hugely useful in MP. As for using the KY-58, you need to turn it to ON, place the MODE knob to C. It'll encrypt COMM2. Select the same encryption channel (1-6) as the others and you're good to go.

I don't think the rest of the modes do anything in DCS/SRS.

• Like 3

The vCVW-17 is looking for Hornet and Tomcat pilots and RIOs. Join the vCVW-17 Discord.

CVW-17_Profile_Background_VFA-34.png

F/A-18C, F-15E, AV-8B, F-16C, JF-17, A-10C/CII, M-2000C, F-14, AH-64D, BS2, UH-1H, P-51D, Sptifire, FC3
-
i9-13900K, 64GB @6400MHz RAM, 4090 Strix OC, Samsung 990 Pro

pretty cool. Can you do this also in F16 ?

Intel I7-10700K, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB NVMe, MSI Z490 ACE, RAM:64GB DDR4 3600, WIN 10-64, 1080Ti😩

Waiting on a good RTX

AH-64D|AV-88|A10CII|F15E|F16CM|FA18C|F14B|NV|PG|Syria|Synia

6 hours ago, Hulkbust44 said:

Nope, cheap air force jet gets 1 UHF and 1 VHF.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Except you can, F16 has a KY58 and a cipher select switch on the front right of the right console. Next to the NUC switch

• Thanks 1

476th Discord   |    476th Website    |    Swift Youtube
Ryzen 5800x, RTX 4070ti, 64GB, Quest 2

Except you can, F16 has a KY58 and a cipher select switch on the front right of the right console. Next to the NUC switch
Well KY58 yes, but what OP was actually referring to was the Hornet's MIDS radios which the 16 doesn't have, just called it the KY58. Afaik the ED products lack a functional KY58 system, however the encryption is modeled on the Tomcat.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk