Some performance observations after a spot of "fiddling" with the settings

Mr_sukebe

I watched a really good vid last week, from a chap who'd reviewed and tested the impact upon his system from various settings.

Based upon that, I "tweaked" a few settings, e.g. Terrain Textures to high, SSLR on etc.

Whilst running solo.  All seemed good.

Tried joining a friends server last night and my frame rate utterly went to poo, i.e. under 10fps.

Had a scan in MSI Afterburner, and I was using 46GB of RAM, all 8GB of VRAM, GPU was maxed out, whilst my CPU was just cruising.

It certainly wasn't the mission as neither the mission creator/hoster or the other friend were having issues.

So, had a play with the settings and "voila".  All back to normal.

My assumption is that Terrain Textures to High results in a significant increase in the VRAM requirements, resulting in more being loaded into main system RAM, and therefore additional access to my SSD.

In short, be careful of your settings and just because settings work for other people, doesn't mean that it'll work for yourself.

Additionally, instantly come here crying about your frame rates going to pieces, when chances are, that it's something in your settings that's killing performance.

• Like 1

System: 9700, 64GB DDR4, 2070S, NVME2, Rift S, Jetseat, Thrustmaster F18 grip, VPC T50 stick base and throttle, CH Throttle, MFG crosswinds, custom button box, Logitech G502 and Marble mouse.

Server: i5 2500@3.9Ghz, 1080, 24GB DDR3, SSD.

Interesting.

This might be a good edge case to test if there is a noticeable difference with GPU resizable bar enabled. Sounds like your computer was suffering from texture overload, which is all VRAM<->RAM+SSD transfer type transactions. If/when we get the PCI v4 direct disk access in DCS that might help as well. What was that called? GPUDirect? I forget...

Out of curiosity, what is your hardware? I haven't gotten around to experimenting with resizable bar yet myself.

But, yes - lots of complaints about frame rates out there where you have to wonder if the rig is set up realistically for the equipment at play.

I’m only running a 2070S, which doesn’t support ReBar unfortunately 

System: 9700, 64GB DDR4, 2070S, NVME2, Rift S, Jetseat, Thrustmaster F18 grip, VPC T50 stick base and throttle, CH Throttle, MFG crosswinds, custom button box, Logitech G502 and Marble mouse.

Server: i5 2500@3.9Ghz, 1080, 24GB DDR3, SSD.

Does it not? I was running a 2070 Super also - but have not investigated - assumed it was coming but... I guess I should look.

EDIT: I stand corrected - does not seem to be possible - at least not today.

Edited by reece146