Weather to Below the Horizon

Captain Orso

I know all is still WIP, and a lovely work it is, but I'd just like to request that the end product actually has the weather setup in a mission extend all the way to below the horizon. If it's very overcast and the horizon in all directions is a bright stripe of sky it just looks silly.

Edited by Captain Orso
spelling
  • Like 1

When you hit the wrong button on take-off

hwl7xqL.gif

System Specs.

Spoiler
System board: MSI X670E ACE Memory: 64GB DDR5-6000 G.Skill Ripjaw System disk: Crucial P5 M.2 2TB
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D PSU: Corsair HX1200 PSU Monitor: ASUS MG279Q, 27"
CPU cooling: Noctua NH-D15S Graphics card: MSI RTX 3090Ti SuprimX VR: Oculus Rift CV1

On 5/5/2021 at 4:07 AM, Bailey said:

I think that’s going to be tough when DCS World is flat. 

^ This.

The problem is that DCS treats the world as flat.

Modules I own: F-14A/B, Mi-24P, AV-8B N/A, AJS 37, F-5E-3, MiG-21bis, F-16CM, F/A-18C, Supercarrier, Mi-8MTV2, UH-1H, Mirage 2000C, FC3, MiG-15bis, Ka-50, A-10C (+ A-10C II), P-47D, P-51D, C-101, Yak-52, WWII Assets, CA, NS430, Hawk.

Terrains I own: South Atlantic, Syria, The Channel, SoH/PG, Marianas.

System:

GIGABYTE B650 AORUS ELITE AX, AMD Ryzen 5 7600, Corsair Vengeance DDR5-5200 32 GB, Western Digital Black SN850X 1 TB (DCS dedicated) & 2 TB NVMe SSDs, Corsair RM850X 850 W, NZXT H7 Flow, MSI G274CV.

Peripherals: VKB Gunfighter Mk.II w. MCG Pro, MFG Crosswind V3 Graphite, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro.

Is it? Haven't I seen screenshots of people reaching ultra-high altitudes in Mig-29s, up to about 80k feet+, in which you can clearly see the roundness of the earth?

Anyway, even if that were something DCS does only at extremely high altitudes and closer to the ground the geometry of the earth is a flat plain, you can still have the weather at least appear to touch the horizon at what would be the geographical the horizon, so that there are no ugly, silly looking, bright-sky stripes on the horizon at all times, even when the weather is set to overcast 8 with rain.

When you hit the wrong button on take-off

hwl7xqL.gif

System Specs.

Spoiler
System board: MSI X670E ACE Memory: 64GB DDR5-6000 G.Skill Ripjaw System disk: Crucial P5 M.2 2TB
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D PSU: Corsair HX1200 PSU Monitor: ASUS MG279Q, 27"
CPU cooling: Noctua NH-D15S Graphics card: MSI RTX 3090Ti SuprimX VR: Oculus Rift CV1

Is it? Haven't I seen screenshots of people reaching ultra-high altitudes in Mig-29s, up to about 80k feet+, in which you can clearly see the roundness of the earth?

Anyway, even if that were something DCS does only at extremely high altitudes and closer to the ground the geometry of the earth is a flat plain, you can still have the weather at least appear to touch the horizon at what would be the geographical the horizon, so that there are no ugly, silly looking, bright-sky stripes on the horizon at all times, even when the weather is set to overcast 8 with rain.
The curvature is a visual effect only. But yeah, I agree with you, the bright border under the clouds, that extends to infinity, looks very jarring.

+1
  • Like 1

The vCVW-17 is looking for Hornet and Tomcat pilots and RIOs. Join the vCVW-17 Discord.

CVW-17_Profile_Background_VFA-34.png

F/A-18C, F-15E, AV-8B, F-16C, JF-17, A-10C/CII, M-2000C, F-14, AH-64D, BS2, UH-1H, P-51D, Sptifire, FC3
-
i9-13900K, 64GB @6400MHz RAM, 4090 Strix OC, Samsung 990 Pro

• 2 weeks later...

ohno! i'm still on stable and did not dare to ask and just hoped that the devs would have foudn a solution to the flat earth horizon problem. it already looked bad with the old clouds.

i hope it can be fixed by somehow curving the cloudbase downwards, or maybe just trick it otherwise. the bright glow is really silly.

On 5/7/2021 at 12:50 PM, Captain Orso said:

Yes, it is flat, the curve you see in DCS is purely a visual effect.

On 5/7/2021 at 12:50 PM, Captain Orso said:

I mean, if the maps were shaped such that they fit on a sphere in the first place, then this wouldn't be an issue at all, as well as the numerous other issues caused by using flat maps.

• Like 2

Modules I own: F-14A/B, Mi-24P, AV-8B N/A, AJS 37, F-5E-3, MiG-21bis, F-16CM, F/A-18C, Supercarrier, Mi-8MTV2, UH-1H, Mirage 2000C, FC3, MiG-15bis, Ka-50, A-10C (+ A-10C II), P-47D, P-51D, C-101, Yak-52, WWII Assets, CA, NS430, Hawk.

Terrains I own: South Atlantic, Syria, The Channel, SoH/PG, Marianas.

System:

GIGABYTE B650 AORUS ELITE AX, AMD Ryzen 5 7600, Corsair Vengeance DDR5-5200 32 GB, Western Digital Black SN850X 1 TB (DCS dedicated) & 2 TB NVMe SSDs, Corsair RM850X 850 W, NZXT H7 Flow, MSI G274CV.

Peripherals: VKB Gunfighter Mk.II w. MCG Pro, MFG Crosswind V3 Graphite, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro.