Weather to Below the Horizon

Posted (edited)

I know all is still WIP, and a lovely work it is, but I'd just like to request that the end product actually has the weather setup in a mission extend all the way to below the horizon. If it's very overcast and the horizon in all directions is a bright stripe of sky it just looks silly.

Edited by Captain Orso
spelling
  • Like 1

When you hit the wrong button on take-off

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

System Specs.

[TABLE]System board ... MSI X99A GAMING 9 ACK

CPU ............ Intel Core i7-5820K @ 3800MHz per OC Genie

CPU cooling .... Noctua NH-D15

Memory ......... 16GB DDR4-3000 G.Skill Ripjaw

PSU ............ Corsair AX860i PSU

Graphics card .. Zotac Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080 Ti Amp! Extreme

System disk .... SanDisk Extreme PRO 480GB SSD

Monitor ........ ASUS MG279Q, 27"

VR ............. Oculus Rift CV1[/TABLE]

On 5/5/2021 at 4:07 AM, Bailey said:

I think that’s going to be tough when DCS World is flat. 

^ This.

The problem is that DCS treats the world as flat.

Modules I own: F-14A/B, F/A-18C, Supercarrier, F-16CM, AJS-37, F-5E-3, MiG-21bis, Ka-50, A-10C (+ A-10C II), UH-1H, Mi-8MTV2, P-47D, P-51D, FC3, MiG-15bis, Yak-52, CA, C-101, Hawk

Terrains I own: Syria, The Channel, SoH

System (RIP my old PC): Dell XPS 15 9570 w/ Intel i7-8750H, NVIDIA GTX 1050Ti Max-Q, 16GB DDR4, 500GB Samsung PM871 SSD (upgraded with 1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus SSD)

VKB Gunfighter Mk.II w. MCG Pro

Dreams: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/mBG4dD

Is it? Haven't I seen screenshots of people reaching ultra-high altitudes in Mig-29s, up to about 80k feet+, in which you can clearly see the roundness of the earth?

Anyway, even if that were something DCS does only at extremely high altitudes and closer to the ground the geometry of the earth is a flat plain, you can still have the weather at least appear to touch the horizon at what would be the geographical the horizon, so that there are no ugly, silly looking, bright-sky stripes on the horizon at all times, even when the weather is set to overcast 8 with rain.

When you hit the wrong button on take-off

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

System Specs.

[TABLE]System board ... MSI X99A GAMING 9 ACK

CPU ............ Intel Core i7-5820K @ 3800MHz per OC Genie

CPU cooling .... Noctua NH-D15

Memory ......... 16GB DDR4-3000 G.Skill Ripjaw

PSU ............ Corsair AX860i PSU

Graphics card .. Zotac Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080 Ti Amp! Extreme

System disk .... SanDisk Extreme PRO 480GB SSD

Monitor ........ ASUS MG279Q, 27"

VR ............. Oculus Rift CV1[/TABLE]

Is it? Haven't I seen screenshots of people reaching ultra-high altitudes in Mig-29s, up to about 80k feet+, in which you can clearly see the roundness of the earth?

Anyway, even if that were something DCS does only at extremely high altitudes and closer to the ground the geometry of the earth is a flat plain, you can still have the weather at least appear to touch the horizon at what would be the geographical the horizon, so that there are no ugly, silly looking, bright-sky stripes on the horizon at all times, even when the weather is set to overcast 8 with rain.
The curvature is a visual effect only. But yeah, I agree with you, the bright border under the clouds, that extends to infinity, looks very jarring.

+1

The vCVW-17 is looking for Hornet and Tomcat pilots and RIOs. Join the vCVW-17 Discord.

1197644828_Screen_200911_044202-Copy.png.74d8c09ee9060cffd7408a75ab2c13ef.png

Z370 Aorus Gaming 7, i7-8700K, 3090 FTW3 Ultra, 32GB DDR4, 960 Pro, 970 Evo Plus, WD Gold 6TB, Seasonic Prime Platinum

F/A-18C, AV-8B, JF-17, A-10C (C II), M-2000C, F-16C, F-14, BS2, UH-1H, P-51D, Sptifire, FC3