DCS - GTX 3080 O10G - 32GB internal - i7700k: game settings?

10 minutes ago, draconus said:

What's your display res or VR?

Hi,

I have a 3440x1440 100Mhz 34 inch Rog Monitor.

(no VR)

thanks

Edited by Double Dutch

-----

Don't practise till you got it right.

Practise till you don't do it wrong

10 minutes ago, Double Dutch said:

I have a 3440x1440 100Mhz 34 inch Rog Monitor.

Then the linked thread is just for you. The guy has better CPU (5900x) paired with 3080 too, but it shouldn't matter that much, you'll probably get a bit lower min fps.

• Like 1

🖥️ Win10 i7-10700KF 32GB RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M HOTAS   ✈️ FC3, F-14A/B, F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR, PG, Syria

Hey @Double Dutch,

you could use the "medium" settings of my above linked benchmark as a starting point and work you're way up until you reach your personell framelimit.

With your setup you shoud be able to go with pretty high settings.

Keep in mind though, that the average fps are less important than the framedrops (min fps or 0.1/1% low) for a smooth experience.

Also keep in mind, that the usefulness of certain settings is a matter of opinion. Whilst the impact on performance can be measured (but only in the exact same szene, because the impact may vary from the content of the scene), the impact on visuals is a highly opinionated subject.

The best way to go, imho, is to learn what each setting actually does, educate yourself on the matter (there are tons of relevant contents on youtube) and than trial and error for yourself.

For me this is part of the fun!

Cheers

• Like 1

"Muß ich denn jedes Mal, wenn ich sauge oder saugblase den Schlauchstecker in die Schlauchnut schieben?"

2 minutes ago, Hiob said:

Hey @Double Dutch,

you could use the "medium" settings of my above linked benchmark as a starting point and work you're way up until you reach your personell framelimit.

With your setup you shoud be able to go with pretty high settings.

Keep in mind though, that the average fps are less important than the framedrops (min fps or 0.1/1% low) for a smooth experience.

Also keep in mind, that the usefulness of certain settings is a matter of opinion. Whilst the impact on performance can be measured (but only in the exact same szene, because the impact may vary from the content of the scene), the impact on visuals is a highly opinionated subject.

The best way to go, imho, is to learn what each setting actually does, educate yourself on the matter (there are tons of relevant contents on youtube) and than trial and error for yourself.

For me this is part of the fun!

Cheers

Hi Hiob,

Thank you for your message. I am eager to learn but have been out of it for a while. I am now learning all the abbreviations from the FA-18 Hornet Guide, I have to configure and setup my Virpil Hotas and this....

I was hoping for shortcuts to start with my feet on the ground. But I guess there is not 🙂

Step by Step I think.

-----

No, you're good.

As I said, with your setup you should be good to go with pretty high settings. I think my "final balanced" settings of the above mentioned benchmark thread would work for you, too.

You can change the graphics settings from there later at any point, when your comfortable in doing so.

There is really nothing that can be done "wrong".

EDIT: Just came to my mind...since you have a "weaker" cpu, you should probably deactivate wake turbulences (gameplay settings) and perhaps deactivate or lower civilian traffic, because those are more taxing on the cpu than gpu I think.

Edited by Hiob
  • Like 1

"Muß ich denn jedes Mal, wenn ich sauge oder saugblase den Schlauchstecker in die Schlauchnut schieben?"

16 minutes ago, Hiob said:

No, you're good.

As I said, with your setup you should be good to go with pretty high settings. I think my "final balanced" settings of the above mentioned benchmark thread would work for you, too.

You can change the graphics settings from there later at any point, when your comfortable in doing so.

There is really nothing that can be done "wrong".

EDIT: Just came to my mind...since you have a "weaker" cpu, you should probably deactivate wake turbulences (gameplay settings) and perhaps deactivate or lower civilian traffic, because those are more taxing on the cpu than gpu I think.

Do I need mirrors? I now only have F10 Map user Marks selected

-----

1 hour ago, Double Dutch said:

Do I need mirrors?

Ask yourself the question. They look great for immersion but are rarely used (depending on the aircraft/preferences) and can be taxing on fps. Just enable and hit M key during game play to turn them on/off.

Edited by draconus

🖥️ Win10 i7-10700KF 32GB RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M HOTAS   ✈️ FC3, F-14A/B, F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR, PG, Syria

1 hour ago, draconus said:

Ask yourself the question. They look great for immersion but are rarely used (depending on the aircraft/preferences) and can be taxing on fps. Just enable and hit M key during game play to turned them on/off.

Nothing to add to this!

I have to admit i find these threads weird.

Hi guys how fast can i drive my car but still be safe?

The answer is test is out yourself, YOU are the only one with your rig so set up DCS and try it out!  ?  yeah?

From there you have a base to start asking more specific questions.

Edited by 26-J39

What's your problem? The OP gets reasonable advice on a topic he is unfamiliar with.

...and your analogy is very questionable, isn't it?

@Double Dutch feel free to ask, if you want to know, what a specific setting does.

• Like 1

I might add to the discussion that comparison needs a static framework. I would record a flight track, broken clouds early morning setup, high a low altitude, landing, taxi, then save it, replay the track and mark some FPS (CTRL + Pause twice) at specific time codes. Then change graphic settings and repeat. Oh one more advice: Close DCS and restart Windows between test runs, that clears out the cache. If you don't, you may get the impression that your 2nd setup works way smoother, although it's an illusion due to caching.

Don't just fly around randomly, make the most of your time.

1 hour ago, Pocket Kings said:

I might add to the discussion that comparison needs a static framework. I would record a flight track, broken clouds early morning setup, high a low altitude, landing, taxi, then save it, replay the track and mark some FPS (CTRL + Pause twice) at specific time codes. Then change graphic settings and repeat. Oh one more advice: Close DCS and restart Windows between test runs, that clears out the cache. If you don't, you may get the impression that your 2nd setup works way smoother, although it's an illusion due to caching.

Don't just fly around randomly, make the most of your time.

You must be an engineer or research scientist. That is a very meticulous and exacting procedure, which reminds me of a grad course on research methods that I took.

To the OP. I am jealous that you got your hands on a RTX 3080. I have been looking for a 3080 for months. The only place they are in "stock" is eBay.  And, my heart will not allow me to pay more for the GPU than the entire rest of the computer.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, jmig said:

You must be an engineer or research scientist. That is a very meticulous and exacting procedure, which reminds me of a grad course on research methods that I took.

To the OP. I am jealous that you got your hands on a RTX 3080. I have been looking for a 3080 for months. The only place they are in "stock" is eBay.  And, my heart will not allow me to pay more for the GPU than the entire rest of the computer.

I'm a programmer, specifically a cluster & database architect. That's fancy language for "a bunch of servers have to function as virtually one, make it happen dude, yesterday".

I'm stuck on a GTX 1060 6GB because of the graphics card shortage. People told me "man you can sell your five year old card for the original retail price". Nice but, I can't buy a better one. And I'm certainly not paying 2-3x retail price compared to six months ago. However, I don't believe prices will normalize soon. My argument being that the Tsunami and Fukushima weren't as severe to the market back then but it took years for prices to settle down. Some niche hardware products never normalized even remotely close to prior levels.

Edited by Pocket Kings
typo
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, Pocket Kings said:

I'm a programmer,...

I'm stuck on a GTX 1060 6GB because of the graphics card shortage. People told me "man you can sell your five year old card for the original retail price". Nice but, I can't buy a better one. And I'm certainly not paying 2-3x retail price compared to six months ago. ...

Yes, I have a 2070S, which works well. I fly in VR with a Reverb G2 and love it. Since, I am building a new computer (i-10900) I would love to drop a 3080 in it. But, Alas! As you, I will not pay that much money for a GPU when I have one that works fine.

John

• Like 1

On 5/4/2021 at 1:13 PM, 26-J39 said:

I have to admit i find these threads weird.

Hi guys how fast can i drive my car but still be safe?

The answer is test is out yourself, YOU are the only one with your rig so set up DCS and try it out!  ?  yeah?

From there you have a base to start asking more specific questions.

hi,

I am sorry if my questions bother you. I haven't simmed in 25 years and just bought Virpil Hotas with DCS. Being a project manager for work I just try to collect as much relevant data to be able to start my 'project'. From what I read settings are one of them. They are at least intricate enough for people to post about in DCS forum and on YouTube.

As an example (my gear takes another 3 weeks to arrive) I am reading a Hornet Guide by Chuck and write down every abbreviations in a word document, I am on page 167 of 626 of the Guide and am already on 6 pages of abbreviations which I read every morning to get acquainted with the terminology. This is how my brain works/prepares, sorry for that.

Flying is hard enough so I am hoping to fall back on the experience of others for the peripherals if possible. Of course that doesn't mean I will change settings when I am into the game. Step one is get everything working and looking ok. step 2 is flying. 3 is optimizing once I am mission ready.

On 5/4/2021 at 4:21 PM, jmig said:

Hi,

I ordered the GTX3080 gaming early and was 167 on the backorder list when they came in by the 10's for weeks.... the wait was terrible 🙂

I am now waiting for my HOTAS.

Edited by Double Dutch

-----

20 hours ago, jmig said:

In all fairness, good gaming rigs do tend to absorb about half of the cash on the graphics card. So, a grand for the card, a grand for everything else. Maybe 60% for everything else if if you want a CPU with a huge number of cores/threads, which don't do jack in a gaming system most of the time.

Unfortunately, new graphics cards are priced through the roof and are also subject to scalping. Hopefully it's temporary, but even if I had the cash to blow, I'd have one heck of a hard time justifying spending that kind of cash just to burn time playing video games. Even with nice graphics 🙂

AD

• Like 1

Kit:

B550 Aorus Elite AX V2, Ryzen 7 5800X w/ Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE, 2 x 16GB Kingston Fury DDR4 @3600MHz C16, Gigabyte RTX 3070 Windforce 8GB, EVGA SuperNova 750 G2 PSU, HP Omen 32" 2560x1440, Thrustmaster Cougar HOTAS fitted with Leo Bodnar's BU0836A controller.

--Flying is the art of throwing yourself at the ground, and having all the rules and regulations get in the way!

If man was meant to fly, he would have been born with a lot more money!

On 5/5/2021 at 4:25 PM, Double Dutch said:

hi,

I am sorry if my questions bother you. I haven't simmed in 25 years and just bought Virpil Hotas with DCS. Being a project manager for work I just try to collect as much relevant data to be able to start my 'project'. From what I read settings are one of them. They are at least intricate enough for people to post about in DCS forum and on YouTube.

As an example (my gear takes another 3 weeks to arrive) I am reading a Hornet Guide by Chuck and write down every abbreviations in a word document, I am on page 167 of 626 of the Guide and am already on 6 pages of abbreviations which I read every morning to get acquainted with the terminology. This is how my brain works/prepares, sorry for that.

Flying is hard enough so I am hoping to fall back on the experience of others for the peripherals if possible. Of course that doesn't mean I will change settings when I am into the game. Step one is get everything working and looking ok. step 2 is flying. 3 is optimizing once I am mission ready.

Hi,

I ordered very early and was 167 on the backorder list when they came in by the 10's for weeks.... the wait was terrible 🙂

I am now waiting for my HOTAS.

Fair call i do apologize for being rude.   You have provided more context and i can see where you are coming from.   All the best 👍

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, 26-J39 said:

Fair call i do apologize for being rude.   You have provided more context and i can see where you are coming from.   All the best 👍

No worries 🙂 I can understand some questions being asked 2000 times or not very intelligent.

on the positive side, I received my TrackIR yesterday. Installed the soft- and hardware, tweaked the configuration with help of Youtube (Jabber video) and it works like a charm!! 

Ps. Yes I  did pre-search the Jabber video to be ready when my hardware arrived. Next is to get zoom working (pre-searched Spudknocker youtube video). 🙂 🙂

Edited by Double Dutch

-----

I don't own TrackIR nor a comparable system yet and I'm not familiar with the limitations of the axis.

I wonder however if you could use the same disproportional horizonal scale on the Z-axis as well. An example: Since we don't have 10 screens 360° around us, we have to compensate for the lack of X-axis visibility and FOV. Meaning you move your heads' bearing 5° to the left, in-game it translates to 50°.

Would it be possible to increase this factor on the Z-axis equally? Meaning if I lower my heads' distance to the monitor by 5cm, in-game that would translate to a zoom of 50 cm?

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Pocket Kings said:

Would it be possible to increase this factor on the Z-axis equally? Meaning if I lower my heads' distance to the monitor by 5cm, in-game that would translate to a zoom of 50 cm?

Of course it all is possible. It's basic functionality setting of IR headtracking.

Z axis is actually forward/aft movement in DCS controls.

Edited by draconus
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, Double Dutch said:

I received my TrackIR yesterday. Installed the soft- and hardware, tweaked the configuration with help of Youtube (Jabber video) and it works like a charm!! 

🙂 🙂

Congratulations!    Takes a bit to get used to but it's a game changer!! 

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, draconus said:

Of course it all is possible. It's basic functionality setting of IR headtracking.

Z axis is actually forward/aft movement in DCS controls.

Well then it should be possible to define a new HOTAS modifier button in conjunction with TrackIR Z-axis and tune the axis for sensitivity in order to increase zoom.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Pocket Kings said:

Well then it should be possible to define a new HOTAS modifier button in conjunction with TrackIR Z-axis and tune the axis for sensitivity in order to increase zoom.

I have this one saved to install zooming, maybe it helps.

-----