Disconnect and stow away Reverb G2

Jyge

I just got my Reverb G2. Until now I have had my Reverb G1 and I have got used to disconnecting the cable from the headset and stowing it away. I just left the cable hanging from the PC. Now reading the instructions about the correct order of connecting I got a bit vary about disconnecting it. I am wondering if it is ok to shutdown Steam VR and Microsoft WMR and the additional power plug and after that disconnect the cable from the headset? Do the people usually just leave the headset connected?

I just got my Reverb G2. Until now I have had my Reverb G1 and I have got used to disconnecting the cable from the headset and stowing it away. I just left the cable hanging from the PC. Now reading the instructions about the correct order of connecting I got a bit vary about disconnecting it. I am wondering if it is ok to shutdown Steam VR and Microsoft WMR and the additional power plug and after that disconnect the cable from the headset? Do the people usually just leave the headset connected?
Personally I leave it connected and just remove the power. The cable is "fussy" to say the least.

12900KF | Maximus Hero Z690 | ASUS 4090 TUF OC | 64GB DDR5 5200 | DCS on 2TB NVMe | WarBRD+Warthog Stick | CM3 | TM TPR's | Varjo Aero

I use my headset almost daily between DCS and Elite Dangerous, so I just leave it plugged in and powered up.

I do "cycle" the USB connection (unplug/plug) if my system stops "seeing" the headset, for example after a Windows update this has happened.

I have on "old guy" bias to NOT power down computer equipment unless necessary and apply that to the peripherals as well.

Best wishes.

24 minutes ago, zildac said:
34 minutes ago, Jyge said:

Personally I leave it connected and just remove the power. The cable is "fussy" to say the least.

similar.  I just unplug the power.

MSI MAG Z790 Carbon, i9-13900k, NH-D15 cooler, 64 GB CL40 6000mhz RAM, MSI RTX4090, Yamaha 5.1 A/V Receiver, 4x 2TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe, 1x 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD, Win 11 Pro, TM Warthog, Virpil WarBRD, MFG Crosswinds, 43" Samsung 4K TV, 21.5 Acer VT touchscreen, TrackIR, Varjo Aero, Wheel Stand Pro Super Warthog, Phanteks Enthoo Pro2 Full Tower Case, Seasonic GX-1200 ATX3 PSU, PointCTRL, Buttkicker 2, K-51 Helicopter Collective Control

Well I seen this advice from HP, well I would be cautious, after I unplugged my power from the headset. the next day it never came back on and I needed a new cable according to tech support.. I am finally after a month and a week getting my cable tomorrow..

I am unsure if unplugging the power caused my issue but it seemed awfully suspicous that it did not work after I did it. from now on I am just leaving it plugged in YMMV..

ASRock Z590 Phantom Gaming 4/AC / Intel i7 10700K @ 5.1Ghz / Noctua DHS-14 Heatsinkw/Fan /  Samsung 970plus m.2 1TB  /  eVGA FTW3 2080Ti /  RipJaws - 64GB RAM @3200  /  SoundBlaster Z  / Reverb G2 VR /  ThrustMaster HOTAS Cougar & MFD's / Buttkicker Gamer 2

I've never unplugged the USB since I first installed. I did however, install a surge-protected power socket with on/off switch, close enough so that I can switch it on and off without moving my fat ass 😉

RYZEN 5900X | 32GB | ASUS Strix RTX3090 | 500GB NVMe OS 1000GB NVMe DCS | Warthog HOTAS | HP Reverb G2 | VA & ViacomPRO

My DCS Apps:    Radio KAOS for DCS      KB Quick - Quick and Easy Kneeboards

I have my Reverb G2 plugged into a powered USB 3 Hub with individual on/off switches for each port.

When not in use I just switch it off and that kills everything.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

My concern is that I recall reading about sunlight potentially damaging the "screens" of VR goggles. The second thing about leaving it powered on is the heat, but these do not really seem to be issues...

5 minutes ago, Jyge said:

My concern is that I recall reading about sunlight potentially damaging the "screens" of VR goggles. The second thing about leaving it powered on is the heat, but these do not really seem to be issues...

Afaik, yeah, direct sunlight is not good for the lenses, but indirect/ambient light is fine. I keep mine aimed away from windows and sometimes throw a cloth cover on it when not in use.

As for power, interesting that mine is slightly warmer than I thought it would be turned off, as in it's not room temperature. That light for the HP logo must be putting out some heat.

I just unplug the little male connection from the little square power source when I’m done playing. I really need to a hub with a buttons shut down switch

ALIENWARE R11 - I9 10900KF @ 5.1 GHz - M.2 NVMe 2TB - RTX3090  - XFURY 64GB -3400 MHz RAM

Monitor AW3420DW @ 120Hz - Virpil CM3 Throttle - TM TPR Rudder pedals - Virpil CM2 w/TM Hornet Stick Center - Monstertech Deck Mounts 

RealSimulator FSSB-R3 Lightning Base w/ F16SRGRH SideStick - VR user / Varjo Aero - Big Thx to mbucchia

Start Date April 2020 

Well I guess, powering down is the reversal from powering up. So in this sense the last thing to plug in was the power, I would assume that powering down starts also from pulling the power plug? At least at that moment the headset "disconnects" - if it is powered up, it is irritating as, for example, the sound is directed to the headset. I also saw some discussions where people had some powershell scripts two disable the USB port which holds the Reverb...with G1 I got kind of used to disconnecting it. The connector and the cable sucked, but principally it was a good feature. Well I still need to test the G2 before I decide if it is a keeper, I have not sold my G1 yet...

I use a smart plug to disconnect and reconnect my G2 from power 

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero
SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 11, VoiceAttack & VAICOM PRO

YOUTUBE CHANNEL: @speed-of-heat

1569924735_WildcardsBadgerFAASig.jpg.dbb8c2a337e37c2bfb12855f86d70fd5.jpg