AIM-9 in TWS?!

Cmptohocah

So aparently AIM-9 can be launched from 20-25km by usind TWS, so I was just wondering what black magic is involved there?
Why did the Soviets bother with developing EOS when radars can be used to slave IR missiles just like EOS does?
Thanks in advance!

Cmptohocah=CMPTOHOCAH 😉

17 minutes ago, Cmptohocah said:

So aparently AIM-9 can be launched from 20-25km by usind TWS, so I was just wondering what black magic is involved there?
Why did the Soviets bother with developing EOS when radars can be used to slave IR missiles just like EOS does?
Thanks in advance!

IR missiles have been able to be radar-slaved for ages IRL, theres no "black magic" involved, and its certainly not a bug. Both US and Russian jets do this. EOS is mainly meant for ECM heavy environments, and as an overall compliment to the radar.

• Like 1

Eagle Enthusiast, Fresco Fan. Patiently waiting for the F-15E. Clicky F-15C when?

HP Z400 Workstation

Intel Xeon W3680 (i7-980X) OC'd to 4.0 GHz, EVGA GTX 1060 6GB SSC Gaming, 24 GB DDR3 RAM, 500GB Crucial MX500 SSD. Thrustmaster T16000M FCS HOTAS, DIY opentrack head-tracking. I upload DCS videos here https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC0-7L3Z5nJ-QUX5M7Dh1pGg

3 minutes ago, dundun92 said:

IR missiles have been able to be radar-slaved for ages IRL, theres no "black magic" involved, and its certainly not a bug. Both US and Russian jets do this. EOS is mainly meant for ECM heavy environments, and as an overall compliment to the radar.

Ah I see. Shame that ECM doesn't really make a difference in DCS, or am I wrong? I mean regarding this topic.

Cmptohocah=CMPTOHOCAH 😉

ECM would make no difference anyway if all systems were modeled - one would uncage from he radar and just use the seeker.

TWS shouldn't be used to slave IR missiles generally, unless you're facing a well-behaved/cooperative target.   The radar points the seeker at where the target should be, the seeker then attempts to lock-on.   With TWS you could be between frames and fast-moving target might not be where the seeker is pointed.

No idea if you could even select a 9 in TWS IRL, but I simply haven't seen anything in the employment documentation other than employment from STT when it comes to using the radar for pointing those missiles.  It's a bit of a DCSism. 

• Like 1

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Reminder: SAM = Speed Bump :D

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

5 minutes ago, GGTharos said:

No idea if you could even select a 9 in TWS IRL, but I simply haven't seen anything in the employment documentation other than employment from STT when it comes to using the radar for pointing those missiles.  It's a bit of a DCSism. 

This actually makes sense, I always considered STT much more "precise" let's say compared to TWS. You loose the "precision", but gain multi target engagement.

Cmptohocah=CMPTOHOCAH 😉