Switching to team Red: Anyone using 6800XT or 6900XT care to share their settings?

Sr.

I have a Reverb G2 and I am switching GPU to the RX 6900XT.  Having never used the AMD control panel, I'm hoping someone can share their settings/recommendations.

• Like 1

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | 64GB DDR4 3600| MSI RTX 4080 16GB Ventus 3X OC  | Samsung 970 Evo 2TB NVME | HP Reverb G2 | DIY Head Tracker Cap | Logitech X-56 throttle | VKB NXT Premium |  Win 11

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."

--Arthur C Clark

Using a 6900xt and 5800x. I'll write more after I get home tonight, but if you don't plan to manually OC the card, be sure to set your 6900xt to Rage Mode.

Edited by Hartsblade
Spelling
  • Like 1

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D 8-Core Processor | Asus TUFF nvidia GeForce RTX 4090 OC | Asus ROG Crosshair VII Dark Hero | 64GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4-3600 RAM | Windows 10 Pro x64 | Virpil MT-50 CM2 Throttle | Virpil Alpha on WarBRD base |  Virpil Ace 1 Rudder Pedals | Saitek Pro Flight Throttle Quadrant (x2) |Acer x34 P 3440 x 1440 | Valve Index VR | DCS on NVME

With the exception of the 6900xt, our systems are a bit different, but here are a few of the settings I've found useful in the AMD Adrenaline software.

First like I said before, enable "RAGE MODE" in the Tuning section of the Performance tab.

The only settings inside Adrenaline that I have turned on are

Radeon Imade Sharpening 80%

Radeon Enhanced Sync

That's it. I do suggest running some tests on the other options, but for me these two work.

The only other thing I've noticed with DCS is that it doesn't seem to like the Adrenaline screen open while the game is running. I get all sorts of odd behavior, lock ups and crashes.

• Thanks 1

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D 8-Core Processor | Asus TUFF nvidia GeForce RTX 4090 OC | Asus ROG Crosshair VII Dark Hero | 64GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4-3600 RAM | Windows 10 Pro x64 | Virpil MT-50 CM2 Throttle | Virpil Alpha on WarBRD base |  Virpil Ace 1 Rudder Pedals | Saitek Pro Flight Throttle Quadrant (x2) |Acer x34 P 3440 x 1440 | Valve Index VR | DCS on NVME

It's alive!

20210505_183807.jpg

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | 64GB DDR4 3600| MSI RTX 4080 16GB Ventus 3X OC  | Samsung 970 Evo 2TB NVME | HP Reverb G2 | DIY Head Tracker Cap | Logitech X-56 throttle | VKB NXT Premium |  Win 11

--Arthur C Clark

23 hours ago, Hartsblade said:

With the exception of the 6900xt, our systems are a bit different, but here are a few of the settings I've found useful in the AMD Adrenaline software.

First like I said before, enable "RAGE MODE" in the Tuning section of the Performance tab.

Radeon Enhanced Sync

That's it. I do suggest running some tests on the other options, but for me these two work.

The only other thing I've noticed with DCS is that it doesn't seem to like the Adrenaline screen open while the game is running. I get all sorts of odd behavior, lock ups and crashes.

Set.

How about your DCS and SteamVR settings?

--Arthur C Clark

56 minutes ago, Sr. said:

It's alive!

20210505_183807.jpg

Very nice. I like the socket propping the GPU up! 😄 

23 hours ago, Hartsblade said:

Radeon Enhanced Sync

How do you enable RAGE MODE? I have Tuning Control set to automatic and Auto Tuning set to GPU Overclocked.

Do you need Tuning Control set to Manual to be able to enable Rage Mode?

i5-11600K CPU, 64GB DDR4 RAM, XFX Speedster MERC319 AMD Radeon 6900 XT, Oculus Quest 2, HP Reverb G2

6 minutes ago, AlpineGTA said:

How do you enable RAGE MODE? I have Tuning Control set to automatic and Auto Tuning set to GPU Overclocked.

Do you need Tuning Control set to Manual to be able to enable Rage Mode?

Go to Performance tab, Tuning, Preset, Rage

set.PNG

--Arthur C Clark

Ah, it must be for 6000 series cards only. My software is up to date but I don't have those options. I only have a RX 5700 XT.

AMD Control Panel.jpg

i5-11600K CPU, 64GB DDR4 RAM, XFX Speedster MERC319 AMD Radeon 6900 XT, Oculus Quest 2, HP Reverb G2

Is there a preferred driver version everyone is using, or better yet, one to avoid?

I'm very impressed so far with the over-all performance, except when trying to use motion smoothing. Without MS it's a little jittery looking around or simply panning view around the cockpit.  With motion smoothing enabled, the jittery is gone, super smooth but, there are some very off putting artifacts. Mostly this bubbly/flicker on instrument panels. It reminds me of the Vive Cosmos I had before my current G2. Vive wasn't able to use SteamVR motion smoothing, so they'd implemented their own "motion compensation."

--Arthur C Clark

On 5/5/2021 at 8:32 PM, Sr. said:

Set.

How about your DCS and SteamVR settings?

Here are my settings for SteamVR, DCS, and I've read a few things that under volting the 6900xt might be best for performance, so I've been playing with the Automatic Under volt preset.  I get a pretty solid 60fps unless I'm flying low over a city, then I get a steady 40 fps.

Settings are in the Spoiler tags...

Spoiler

SteamVR.png

Spoiler

DCS System.png

Spoiler

DCS VR.png

Spoiler

GPU undervolt.png

Hope those help you out

12 minutes ago, Hartsblade said:

Here are my settings for SteamVR, DCS, and I've read a few things that under volting the 6900xt might be best for performance, so I've been playing with the Automatic Under volt preset.  I get a pretty solid 60fps unless I'm flying low over a city, then I get a steady 40 fps.

Settings are in the Spoiler tags...

Hide contents

SteamVR.png

Hide contents

DCS System.png

Hide contents

DCS VR.png

Hide contents

GPU undervolt.png

Hope those help you out

Thanks, I'll give these a try run.  Do you set anything in particular for DCS under the SVR "per Application Video Settings?"

On 5/5/2021 at 7:38 PM, AlpineGTA said:

MacGyver fan club  😉

--Arthur C Clark

8 hours ago, Sr. said:

Thanks, I'll give these a try run.  Do you set anything in particular for DCS under the SVR "per Application Video Settings?"

MacGyver fan club  😉

Nope nothing extra, too lazy to do per game settings.

Ok, after a couple days worth of setting this, checking that, restarting ad nauseum, I have arrived at what I think is the sweet spot. 

I have SteamVR set to 100% global and 100% per game with motion smoothing set to forced (sooooo smooth). 

On Caucuses, I'm seeing stable/smooth 45 fps side, very little reprojection. GPU and CPU frame times are better than I thought I could get. GPU frametime stays 14-17.

Even very pleased with the Syria map.

In game settings.

Capture.PNG

--Arthur C Clark

58 minutes ago, Sr. said:

Ok, after a couple days worth of setting this, checking that, restarting ad nauseum, I have arrived at what I think is the sweet spot. 

I have SteamVR set to 100% global and 100% per game with motion smoothing set to forced (sooooo smooth). 

On Caucuses, I'm seeing stable/smooth 45 fps side, very little reprojection. GPU and CPU frame times are better than I thought I could get. GPU frametime stays 14-17.

Even very pleased with the Syria map.

That is what I have done with my G2, 100% Steam VR resolution with Motion Smoothing on and forced to 45 fps.

I get very smooth gameplay with some nice graphics.

• Like 1

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

7 hours ago, Topo said:

Forest and scenery detail at 0,1 isn't too low?

Not sure. I didn't think it was something I cared for. I had the forest detail set too high for a bit and it just seemed weird looking to me.

--Arthur C Clark

2 hours ago, ignition22 said:

I'm pretty sure you would be better off with SSAA off and MSAA on for VR. I believe SSAA will do little for you but will hog resources a lot. Note SSAA doesn't take affect until you restart.  

I've since turned it off.  Wasn't seeing that it was doing much, if anything.

--Arthur C Clark

• 2 weeks later...

Holy JDAM!

Just this evening I finished a motherboard swap. Swapped my MSI B450 Tomahawk for the ASRock B550 Steel Legend, and from what I had read, was expecting a fractional if any performance boost... but wow! Just ran through several of favorites in DCS and I'm very impressed. I can even run 2x MSAA now and maintain 45 solid fps & frametimes in the mid-low teens in Syria free flight.

Not sure if the improvement is coming from the Gen 4 PCIE slot ,more effective use of PBO or affinity fabric.

Still WMR beta crashes though 😞

• Like 1

--Arthur C Clark

Hi all,

Just a quick question to you Sr. What combination of motion smoothing and reprojection are you running? And are you running forced DX11 or not?

I have a 6900XT as well and noticed the following.

For motion smoothing: DX11 off gives me much clearer images but the motion smoothing is very janky and not smooth. If I force DX11 on using wmr for steamvr it is silky smooth. So I have to choose between smooth motion or clarity which is quite annoying.

For reprojection: it introduces a lot of warping images (most noticeable on text and straight lines) no matter if I use auto or forced, and both in normal and with forced DX11.

So far my best compromise has been forced DX11 and reprojection off.

I am curious what settings you ended up with.

Kind regards,

Vincent

17 hours ago, Cleric812 said:

Hi all,

Just a quick question to you Sr. What combination of motion smoothing and reprojection are you running? And are you running forced DX11 or not?

For motion smoothing: DX11 off gives me much clearer images but the motion smoothing is very janky and not smooth. If I force DX11 on using wmr for steamvr it is silky smooth. So I have to choose between smooth motion or clarity which is quite annoying.

For reprojection: it introduces a lot of warping images (most noticeable on text and straight lines) no matter if I use auto or forced, and both in normal and with forced DX11.

Kind regards,

Vincent

Really wish I had noted those before the Radeon Software took a crap sometime last night. I was still enjoying/celebrating my new found glory.

I couldn't get the application to run, so I had to run DDU to force uninstall, then reinstall. Losing  my OC profiles, and anything else AMD I had just finished setting up.

Your post does bring me back to something I wonder myself. Are the settings under WMR/graphics separate from the per game video settings/motion smoothing in SVR?

I swear they flip flop off/on at random. And I'm still no straight on how to turn repro "off". Or does fpsVR report the rate regardless?

Edit:

Ok, I got my performance back. This card seems like it wants to be pushed.

To answer your original question, Yes I do use Force DX11 mode via WMR, and force motion smoothing via SteamVR.

I'm also happy to report, since the motherboard swap and a firmware up date, I am able to use the USB C port on the board without getting the error I used to get with the G2. Only option the was to use an add-on USB card.

Don't know if there's any benefit to the C over the other, but it's nice to know another "bug" has been eliminated.

Edited by Sr.

--Arthur C Clark

12 hours ago, Cleric812 said:

Hi all,

Kind regards,

Vincent

DX11 forced and reprojection off has netted the best results for me as well.  SS at 100%

5800X3d, 32GB DDR4@3400, 6800 xt, Reverb G2, Gunfighter/TMWH

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry for the slight OT post - but this seems the right crew to ask - does anyone know if the RX6700xt runs the Reverb G2 in 90Hz ? 

Come fly with us : https://discord.gg/tawdcs  TAW CJTF 13 - EU TZ MilSim Squadron

Ryzen 5 5600X | 32GB DDR4 3733| ASUS Radeon RX 6700 XT  | ASrock B550 Phantom Gaming 4 | HP Reverb G2 | Thrustmaster Warthog Throttle , F16 & F18 grips , TFRP Rudders |  Win 10