Technical feedback from today's mission (maybe a good resume on the state of the F-16)

deadpool

10 hours ago, Machalot said:

I appreciate the speculation and assumptions, it's fun to come up with ideas and possibilities, but I was asking a real pilot for the actual answer. 

Deadpool gave you the best answer you can imagine. In ATP56B you will find everything.

Basically, for fighter, either it is radar rejoin until visual. Or via TACAN distance (and/or bearing depending on TKR equipments) and/or ARCP based procedures. Most differences are if Tanker in on station performing racetracks or if it is an EnRoute rendez-vous (rejoin Echo IIRC).

Edited by Dee-Jay

Tankers normally will have a TACAN with a rotating antenna (AIR TACAN) to provide distance and bearing information to receivers.

For fighters tipically a RV A is used, where the RV is done using radar vectors to tanker, and then the fighter with its radar just joins the formation.

RV B and C are not normally used, normally tankers pilot have never done it, is used on emergencies or abnormal ops on the equipment.

RV D is helpfull for heavy to heavy ops.

Other RV are less tipical. And some countries have some internal procedures for the RV, but its similar to the standard ones.

ATP56 have all the info. Now the doc is called ATP-3.3.4.2.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Dee-Jay said:

Deadpool gave you the best answer you can imagine. In ATP56B you will find everything.

Basically, for fighter, either it is radar rejoin until visual. Or via TACAN distance (and/or bearing depending on TKR equipments) and/or ARCP based procedures. Most differences are if Tanker in on station performing racetracks or if it is an EnRoute rendez-vous (rejoin Echo IIRC).

Yeah, I posted quickly on my phone from a campsite, and in hindsight what I wrote was pretty stupid in response to @deadpool.

Edited by Machalot

"Subsonic is below Mach 1, supersonic is up to Mach 5. Above Mach 5 is hypersonic. And reentry from space, well, that's like Mach a lot."

2 hours ago, Machalot said:

Yeah, I posted quickly on my phone from a campsite, and in hindsight what I wrote was pretty stupid in response to @deadpool.

All good, mate.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Lincoln said: “Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power."

Do not expect a reply to any questions, 30.06.2021 - Silenced by Nineline