Persian Freedom Mission 4 - Failed ATC Procedures on RTB

So obviously Spoilers on Mission 4 of the campaign ahead.

So, here is how my mission went:

- Request startup with F10 Menu - Cleared for Startup - Startup engines

- Request Taxi with F10 - Cleared Taxi - Taxi to Runway, holding short of 09 on Alpha

- Request Takeoff via F10 - Cleared - Takeoff Runway 09

Fly to WP 4, reaching it at 21:50 as briefed. Contact Razor and wait for clearance into the target area.

Fly into Target Area, destroy Targets Charlie and Delta.

On Egress, I didn't have many weapons left, so I declined the tasking from whiplash.

Continuing on the RTB Path, I reach Waypoint 10 and there is no message to contact Al Minhad Tower. I set VHF to Al Minhad Tower and hold for some minutes, still no message to contact the tower appears.

I proceed to land and get the message "Mission is a fail because you failed ATC procedures". Obviously, this is at the landing, but why didn't I get the option to request landing there?

7 hours ago, Disala said:

So obviously Spoilers on Mission 4 of the campaign ahead.

So, here is how my mission went:

- Request startup with F10 Menu - Cleared for Startup - Startup engines

- Request Taxi with F10 - Cleared Taxi - Taxi to Runway, holding short of 09 on Alpha

- Request Takeoff via F10 - Cleared - Takeoff Runway 09

Fly to WP 4, reaching it at 21:50 as briefed. Contact Razor and wait for clearance into the target area.

Fly into Target Area, destroy Targets Charlie and Delta.

On Egress, I didn't have many weapons left, so I declined the tasking from whiplash.

Continuing on the RTB Path, I reach Waypoint 10 and there is no message to contact Al Minhad Tower. I set VHF to Al Minhad Tower and hold for some minutes, still no message to contact the tower appears.

I proceed to land and get the message "Mission is a fail because you failed ATC procedures". Obviously, this is at the landing, but why didn't I get the option to request landing there?

Hi Disala,

Thank you for the purchase and apologies you've run into a problem.

Usually these sorts of issues are cased by the radio not setting correctly so most likely this is the cause of the problem, watch out if using pre-sets as the A-10 radios are buggy at the moment.  The most obvious bug is the pre-set wheel not allowing you to select certain channels but I have found when testing recently that channel 1 pre-set will often not register as well when you return to it (it works fine at mission start on the ground).  Also make sure the radio is in the correct mode, eg. manual/pre-set (apologies if you already know all this).

The trigger to add the F10 option has three conditions - the radio set to Al Minhad, proximity to the airbase of around 10 miles and the destruction of the Silkworm Radar.  Sounds like you killed all the targets but I just checked the mission and note that it's the radar itself, not the launchers that must be destroyed to complete the mission.

Hope that helps, please let me know if I can be any further assistance.

Thank you for the extensive answer. It seems that the Bug with the preset got to me. Channel 1 Preset worked fine on the ground, as did swithing to overlord via preset 2, so I naturally assumed going back to Preset 1 would tune the radio to Al Minhad. 😄

1 hour ago, icemaker said:

So for now i always use manual radio setting to avoid using presets...

Excellent advice!

2 hours ago, Disala said:

Thank you for the extensive answer. It seems that the Bug with the preset got to me. Channel 1 Preset worked fine on the ground, as did swithing to overlord via preset 2, so I naturally assumed going back to Preset 1 would tune the radio to Al Minhad. 😄

No problem...it's a bit of a pain and probably catches a few people out.