Reverb G2 Horizon Tilted

01G8R

I have a Reverb G2 and when using it with DCS the horizon is tilted about 3 degrees down right.  Not really noticeable in normal flight, but when using the HMD in it is very noticeable.  The HMD appears tilted much more.  I have removed and re-installed WMR.  Re-set environmental data multiple times.  I also talked to HP support and they replaced the headset with a new one because they couldn't figure out what is wrong.  The new headset exhibits the exact same behavior with the horizon tilted.  I tested in MFS2020 and it appears to be tilted as well, but I'm not 100% sure on that.  Is there anything else with regard to SteamVR or DCS itself that might be causing the issue?  I have done a repair on DCS also with no change. 

Sorry, have you checked that your seat is level ? (Not trying to be funny)

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero
SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 11, VoiceAttack & VAICOM PRO

YOUTUBE CHANNEL: @speed-of-heat

1569924735_WildcardsBadgerFAASig.jpg.dbb8c2a337e37c2bfb12855f86d70fd5.jpg

Well I have a G2 and did not notice this? altho my heqadset is down by the cable I am hoping to get it back and running within the month.. Sorry I can't test for you to see if the new 2.7 made the tilt.

ASRock Z590 Phantom Gaming 4/AC / Intel i7 10700K @ 5.1Ghz / Noctua DHS-14 Heatsinkw/Fan /  Samsung 970plus m.2 1TB  /  eVGA FTW3 2080Ti /  RipJaws - 64GB RAM @3200  /  SoundBlaster Z  / Reverb G2 VR /  ThrustMaster HOTAS Cougar & MFD's / Buttkicker Gamer 2

5 hours ago, 01G8R said:

Thanks.  Yes, the seat is level and has been checked.  WMR environment data has been cleared multiple times as indicated in the OP.

Try uninstalling and reinstalling WMR

After you've uninstalled and rebooted you'll find that the WMR icon is still in your start menu (I guess because it's part of the OS). Just launch it again and it'll take you through G2 setup again.

RYZEN 5900X | 32GB | ASUS Strix RTX3090 | 500GB NVMe OS 1000GB NVMe DCS | Warthog HOTAS | HP Reverb G2 | VA & ViacomPRO

My DCS Apps:    Radio KAOS for DCS      KB Quick - Quick and Easy Kneeboards

5 hours ago, 01G8R said:

Thanks.  Yes, the seat is level and has been checked.  WMR environment data has been cleared multiple times as indicated in the OP.

The only other thing I can think off, is to try resetting the seated position in steamvr?  

this is not a generic problem with 2.7, I’m ocd enough to have spotted it being out of true for me.

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero
SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 11, VoiceAttack & VAICOM PRO

YOUTUBE CHANNEL: @speed-of-heat

1569924735_WildcardsBadgerFAASig.jpg.dbb8c2a337e37c2bfb12855f86d70fd5.jpg

hace 13 horas, 01G8R dijo:

Tengo un Reverb G2 y cuando lo uso con DCS el horizonte se inclina unos 3 grados hacia abajo a la derecha. Realmente no se nota en vuelo normal, pero cuando se usa el HMD en él se nota mucho. El HMD parece mucho más inclinado. He eliminado y reinstalado WMR. Vuelva a configurar los datos ambientales varias veces. También hablé con el soporte de HP y reemplazaron el auricular por uno nuevo porque no pudieron averiguar qué estaba mal. El nuevo auricular exhibe exactamente el mismo comportamiento con el horizonte inclinado. Probé en MFS2020 y parece estar inclinado también, pero no estoy 100% seguro de eso. ¿Hay algo más con respecto a SteamVR o DCS en sí que pueda estar causando el problema? También hice una reparación en DCS sin cambios. 

I suffered a similar problem in DCS and IL-2 and the problem was that in the configuration of the windows mixed reality, EXPERIENCE OPTIONS, I had the option of Best performance, it was to put Best visual quality and  problem solved

WMR has been removed and re-installed without change.  I should have noted this was a problem before 2.7 so it has nothing to do with the update.

11 hours ago, speed-of-heat said:

The only other thing I can think off, is to try resetting the seated position in steamvr?  

this is not a generic problem with 2.7, I’m ocd enough to have spotted it being out of true for me.

I didn't know this was in SteamVR.  I will investigate and try to reset it.  Thanks for the suggestion.

9 hours ago, Werewolf_fs said:

I suffered a similar problem in DCS and IL-2 and the problem was that in the configuration of the windows mixed reality, EXPERIENCE OPTIONS, I had the option of Best performance, it was to put Best visual quality and  problem solved

I believe I have this set to Best Performance so I will try changing that to Best Visual Quality and report back.  Thanks.

I had WMR settings on Best Visual Quality already and tried switching to Best Performance and back with no change.

I reset seated position in SteamVR with no change, but the interesting thing is when I click reset seated position a countdown box comes up and is tilted the same as during the game.  The surrounding VR backdrop is level, but the countdown box is tilted.  I re-ran the SteamVR room/seated setup multiple times and that hasn't solved it.  The countdown box and view in DCS is tilted.  I will continue to investigate other settings in SteamVR to see if there is something there that is causing this issue. 

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Hello G8R

I just had the same problem recdently (VERY tilted suddenly), and I uninstalled WMR for SteamVR and rebooted and reinstalled it and LO, no more tilted horizon! 🙂

Give it a try.

JEFX

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

In DCS I fly jets with thousands of pounds of thrust...

In real life I fly a humble Cessna Hawx XP II with 210 HP :D

• 2 years later...
On 5/2/2021 at 8:45 PM, 01G8R said:

I have a Reverb G2 and when using it with DCS the horizon is tilted about 3 degrees down right.  Not really noticeable in normal flight, but when using the HMD in it is very noticeable.  The HMD appears tilted much more.  I have removed and re-installed WMR.  Re-set environmental data multiple times.  I also talked to HP support and they replaced the headset with a new one because they couldn't figure out what is wrong.  The new headset exhibits the exact same behavior with the horizon tilted.  I tested in MFS2020 and it appears to be tilted as well, but I'm not 100% sure on that.  Is there anything else with regard to SteamVR or DCS itself that might be causing the issue?  I have done a repair on DCS also with no change. 

I just noticed this very same issue on my Reverb G2, only when I started using the HMD in the F-18 and F-16.

I tried clearing the environmente but to no avail and I have my settings to Best visual quality...

I think my horizon line is ok, it's only the HMD that shows as if my head is tilted a few degrees.

Edited by Muas

3 ideas come to my mind:
1) there is some registry data or some config file that is not erased automatically upon uninstall.
2) are you sure your head is level? You may assume it is, but your brain compensate eventual tilt of yout head. There are a number of reason that can make your head tilt without you to notice: teeth, neck or spinal isuee make your whole body compensate, and yes, usually the compensation should make your head level, but not always. I think I have moderately the same effect, but I just assume that in VR some tilt is much more noticeable.
3) Another source of tilt is that maybe the visor does not sit on your head exactly level with your eyes. just like people with glasses not always have them in line with their eyes, because heads are not specular.

Edited by Comante
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Comante said:

3 ideas come to my mind:
1) there is some registry data or some config file that is not erased automatically upon uninstall.
2) are you sure your head is level? You may assume it is, but your brain compensate eventual tilt of yout head. There are a number of reason that can make your head tilt without you to notice: teeth, neck or spinal isuee make your whole body compensate, and yes, usually the compensation should make your head level, but not always. I think I have moderately the same effect, but I just assume that in VR some tilt is much more noticeable.
3) Another source of tilt is that maybe the visor does not sit on your head exactly level with your eyes. just like people with glasses not always have them in line with their eyes, because heads are not specular.

These are pertinent issues, yet I don't think any of these really apply, because I don't see anything wrong with the horizon, in fact it seems to be perfectly leveled.

Only the head mount display on the visor of the F-16 and F-18 called my attention, as their appear tilted.

This first picture is what is displayed in my 2D screen, if I don't use VR. Everything is perfect here.

image.jpeg

This second one, is a screenshot taken when using VR.

What is strange is that in the picture, it's the horizon the seems tilted counterclockwise, where the HMD projection seems leveled. But what I really see through the headset is the horizon perfectly leveled and the HMD projection tilted clockwise, as if the whole image we see in the picture was rotated a few degrees clockwise making the horizon leveled but the HMD tilted. I don't know how to explain this.

image.jpeg

Edited by Muas

This happens from time to time on my ReverbG2

Solution ->

1. Close WMR
  2. Reset WMV environment in the VR Settings Control panel
  3. Reload WMR

About once a month

X-Plane 11.5x / DCS 2.5.6 / P3Dv5 / Aerofly FS 2 / War Thunder

Win10-x64 | ASUS Z390 Maximus VI | Intel i7-9700K @3.6GHz | Corsair Vengeance LPX 32 GB DDR4 | 6TB SSD Samsung 850 Pro | 2TB M2 PCI 4x | ASUS GTX 1080 ROG STRIX 8GB DDR5X | TM Hotas Warthog | Saitek Combat Pedals | Oculus Rift S

23 hours ago, muehlema said:

This happens from time to time on my ReverbG2

Solution ->

1. Close WMR
  2. Reset WMV environment in the VR Settings Control panel
  3. Reload WMR

About once a month

This does not have any effect, in my case.

I came to the conlcusion that the headset is perfectly fine, this is just a stance issue.

The slightest tilt in your head will be noticeable in the HMD, not in the horizon as it is supposed to be horizontal not matter your head angle.

So either I get use to it, or try to correct it (or both), and the best for this is flying the Apache, with it's large HMD.

On 12/11/2023 at 9:33 AM, Comante said:

3 ideas come to my mind:

I believe point 2) applies, in my case. The best way to confirm is to strap your headset on someone else, and see if the the same effect prevails.

Who could foresee that VR would reveal such a thing? Now, the more I fly with HMD on, the more the effect gets less pronounced.

Thank you all for your help.