(Proper) documentation vs YouTube tutorials

lawyer

Gentlemen, fellow pilots,

I wonder whether I am the only one in this forum who is using the stable version (rather than the beta one) and who is increasingly dissatisfied with the documentation -- or rather the lack of a proper one --for this payware (!) product. Developers, please note: I do *not* want to watch dozens of YouTube tutorials from various sources, reflecting various (undocumented... what else) stages of development, from outdated to beta, of a product in unclear versions (stable or beta). I do expect proper documentation of a payware product in original manuals, and so I shall discontinue to use the F/A-18C, along with the other modules and DCS itself. @ admin: Feel free to ban me if you want ... I am not going to return here anyway.

Happy landings to all of you

Lawyer

(real-life GA pilot, IFR-rated, G1000, 1200 hrs)

The flight manual is kept up to date with the stable version. I agree that all the video tutorials out there referencing the open beta can be confusing. So just stick to the FM as your primary source. 

2 minutes ago, GGTharos said:

You can just watch WAGS' videos, they're all about the product.

But Wags many times makes videos about features which are upcoming in the OB. They’re good videos, you just need to realize the state of development. Frankly every tutorial video seems to use the OB so they can be the newest. 

Edited by SharpeXB
  • Like 1

i9-13900K @ 6.2GHz oc | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO | 64GB DDR5 5600MHz | iCUE H150i Liquid CPU Cooler | 24GB GeForce RTX 4090 | Windows 11 Home | 2TB Samsung 980 PRO NVMe | Corsair RM1000x | LG 48GQ900-B 4K OLED Monitor | CH Fighterstick | Ch Pro Throttle | CH Pro Pedals | TrackIR 5

If you are craving for official manuals, be advised that Many of them can be found online for almost all planes present in DCS... Some might still be undisclosed and classified but those aside, you will already have your plate full... 

No need for YT videos.... 

Look around for following:

F/A18 NATOPS

JDAM employment guide

NAVMIC

CNATRA

Carrier Natops

etc etc

Rig: MB Gigabite z390UD, CPU Intel I7 8700k, RAM 32G DDR4 3200 Gskill ripjaws, GPU MSI RTX2080SuperOC, HDD Crucial mx500 1tb M2 sata, PSU Corsair 850W, watercooling Corsair h100,

Controlers TM f/a 18 stick on Virpil warbrd base, TM cougar f16 stick on cougar base, Cougar F16 throttle on TUSBA, ch pedals, TM cougar MFD

27" monitor with trk IR 5 and HP Reverb HMD.

Modules F18, F16, F86, Mig15, FW 190D9, Nellis range map, Aggr campaign, Middle East map

lawyer is obviously disgruntled, too bad! But I do understand him to some extent. And I don't fly the Hornet much for the same reasons. I don't care for hopping from one youtube video to the next and so on forever. Once we have a complete flight manual I will learn how to use it and until that time I will try to be patient and accept that I bought it in early access.

• Like 3

LeCuvier

Windows 10 Pro 64Bit | i7-4790 CPU |16 GB RAM|SSD System Disk|SSD Gaming Disk| MSI GTX-1080 Gaming 8 GB| Acer XB270HU | TM Warthog HOTAS | VKB Gladiator Pro | MongoosT-50 | MFG Crosswind Pedals | TrackIR 5

there is a substantial 400+ page manual, it's found in your DCS install directory -> mods -> aircraft -> f18 -> docs.  they tend to wait for features to pile up before updating it, but you can watch wags' videos to to learn in the meantime.  he always uploads brief tutorials for the newest features as they're released

1 hour ago, Desert Fox said:

Could absolutely see the reasoning behind this... if the Hornet wasn't an early access module aka "work in progress". It says so when you buy it. Should have read 🤷‍♂️

And if a yet incomplete documentation for a yet incomplete product triggers you so much it makes you stop use all the other associated products too... 😄 buddy, do as you please. It's your time so spend it on whatever you want. No one's going to stop you!

early access is nothing more than a marketing gimmick

12 minutes ago, naizarak said:

there is a substantial 400+ page manual, it's found in your DCS install directory -> mods -> aircraft -> f18 -> docs....

Why bother giving advice when the OP has left the building already?  🤔

• Like 3

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

Well, he does make a fair point, if a little emotionally.  The actual manual has been outdated for even the stable version for the whole time I've been using the Hornet.  Sure, even the stable version is still "early access", which is an easy-to-hide-behind excuse for anything unfinished, including the manuals; but when a person spends real money on the module (it's not as if it's cheap because it's early access), it IS fair to expect actual documentation about how to use what you've just purchased.  Instead, we're often left trying to decide if what's in the manual is up-to-date, or if this youtube video or internet post we found is more current, or contains errors... the base point the OP makes, that there really should be exactly one official, go-to source for information on the product, IS fair. 

The old superbug product switched to an online wiki for a manual, and that worked really well as it could be updated in real time. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Stearmandriver said:

The old superbug product switched to an online wiki for a manual, and that worked really well as it could be updated in real time. 

A PDF can be updated just as easily, and has the added advantage of being much easier to use on an e-reader or tablet. I really prefer it much more than a webpage document.

• Like 2

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

16 hours ago, lawyer said:

I wonder whether I am the only one in this forum who is using the stable version (rather than the beta one)

@ admin: Feel free to ban me if you want ... I am not going to return here anyway.

You're probably one of three, and this is not an airport, you do not have to announce your departure, dear GA pilot.

Lawyers... figures.

• Like 2

i7 - 9700K | 32 GB DDR4 3200 | RTX 2080 | VKB Gunfighter Mk II /w MCG Pro | Virpil T-50CM2 Throttle | TrackIR 5 | VKB Mk. IV

AJS-37 | A/V-8B | A-10C | F-14A/B | F-16C | F-18C | F-86F | FC3 | JF-17 | Ka-50 | L-39 | Mi-8 | MiG-15bis | MiG-19 | MiG-21bis | M2000-C | P-51D | Spitfire LF Mk. IX | UH-1H

• ED Team
16 hours ago, lawyer said:

Gentlemen, fellow pilots,

I wonder whether I am the only one in this forum who is using the stable version (rather than the beta one) and who is increasingly dissatisfied with the documentation -- or rather the lack of a proper one --for this payware (!) product. Developers, please note: I do *not* want to watch dozens of YouTube tutorials from various sources, reflecting various (undocumented... what else) stages of development, from outdated to beta, of a product in unclear versions (stable or beta). I do expect proper documentation of a payware product in original manuals, and so I shall discontinue to use the F/A-18C, along with the other modules and DCS itself. @ admin: Feel free to ban me if you want ... I am not going to return here anyway.

Lawyer

(real-life GA pilot, IFR-rated, G1000, 1200 hrs)

Sorry to hear you are not happy, we dont ban people for sharing an opinion as long as the rules are followed, they can be found at the top of the page. 

The latest manual can be found here also https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/downloads/documentation/?SHOWALL_1=1
and in your dcs install DCS World\Mods\aircraft\FA-18C\Doc

You can also use Wags training videos, 52 available at the time of this post 

if you have any suggestions of what you would like to see added please feel free to PM me. 

Thank you for your feedback

• Thanks 2

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2