New user - can't get options menu to show in game (and other issues)

Kula66

Hi,

purchased Viacom yesterday, so a very new user. I use VR and OB, and fly the 14.

I'm having trouble getting the options menus to show; I say something like 'scan range', and I can see that VA has decoded the command ok, and displays a message about command built, but nothing shows on screen. Any ideas? I've tried switching various options on/off in VP, but nothing seems to help. A possible cause is my '\' key has some OEM scan code, which has caused issues in the past - could this be affecting it?

UPDATE: Rebooted and it started working 🙂 

Thanks,

James

PS> Why does Viacom disbable the standard Jester menu system? I've got 'Jester options' working, but the cockpit disappears which is horrible!

Edited by Kula66
Other issues

• Kula66 changed the title to FIXED: New user - can't get options menu to show in game

Hi,
purchased Viacom yesterday, so a very new user. I use VR and OB, and fly the 14.

I'm having trouble getting the options menus to show; I say something like 'scan range', and I can see that VA has decoded the command ok, and displays a message about command built, but nothing shows on screen. Any ideas? I've tried switching various options on/off in VP, but nothing seems to help. A possible cause is my '\' key has some OEM scan code, which has caused issues in the past - could this be affecting it?

UPDATE: Rebooted and it started working  

Thanks,
James
PS> Why does Viacom disbable the standard Jester menu system? I've got 'Jester options' working, but the cockpit disappears which is horrible!

I don't have the F+14, but somebody might be able to answer. I believe the F-14 addin conflicts with Jester.

As a side note for future reference. VAICOM doesn't use the comms menu or keypresses. It communicates with DCS over the network.
Your subject/question was a little confusing, as I didn't understand your issue or how it was solved. But that's fine, since you solved it.
Anyway, did you actually find out how to get the options menu to show?( Hold TX and say "options" while you keep holding it?)
Cheers!

Sent from my MAR-LX1A using Tapatalk

13 hours ago, MAXsenna said:

I don't have the F+14, but somebody might be able to answer. I believe the F-14 addin conflicts with Jester.

As a side note for future reference. VAICOM doesn't use the comms menu or keypresses. It communicates with DCS over the network. emoji6.png
Your subject/question was a little confusing, as I didn't understand your issue or how it was solved. But that's fine, since you solved it. emoji4.png
Anyway, did you actually find out how to get the options menu to show?( Hold TX and say "options" while you keep holding it?)
Cheers!

@MAXsennais correct - there is some technical reason why the Heatblur Jester wheel cannot run at the same time as Vaicom.

Windows 11 Home ¦ Z790 AORUS Elite AX motherboard ¦ i7-13700K ¦ 64GB Corsair Vengeance DDR5 memory @ 5600MHz ¦ Samsung 990 Pro 1TB SSD for OS, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB SSD for DCS ¦ MSI GeForce RTX 4090 Gaming X Trio 24GB ¦ Virpil WarBRD base with VFX grip, Thrustmaster A10c and F/A-18 grips ¦ VKB Gunfighter Mk4 and MCG Pro ¦ Thrustmaster Warthog Throttle ¦ VKB STECS Throttle ¦ Virpil TCS rotor base with Shark and AH-64D  grips ¦ MFG Crosswinds ¦ Total Controls Multi-Function Button Box ¦ Pimax Crystal

Ok, thanks all. So its the Jester wheel we all know and 'love' or VP. Very different from Baileys VA profile in syntax, but hopefully it will get easier with use - just have to give it a fair trial.

Not sure how it was solved myself! Lots of clicking various options, and shouting at VA, DCS restarts, VA restarts ... and it started working. Not the easiest process.

Ok, thanks all. So its the Jester wheel we all know and 'love' or VP. Very different from Baileys VA profile in syntax, but hopefully it will get easier with use - just have to give it a fair trial.

Not sure how it was solved myself! Lots of clicking various options, and shouting at VA, DCS restarts, VA restarts ... and it started working. Not the easiest process.
Like I wrote. VAICOM uses export.lua and not keypresses like Bailey's does.
But could it be possible to tune it editing aliases in the keywords editor, to tune it to your liking?

Perfect you got it working!
"Hello world"

During a couple of games last night, I could not get the 'Jester options' to appear in MP ... just get the static noise. Other voice commands were working. Worked ok earlier in the day in stand alone. The game was running a 'SATAL' standard mission. I even tried a reboot, but it didn't fix it. Is there an issue with the Jester option in MP? This was required for setting the navigation 'Fixed point' to Bullseye. 
Thanks.

Edited by Kula66

During a couple of games last night, I could not get the 'Jester options' to appear in MP ... just get the static noise. Other voice commands were working. Worked ok earlier in the day in stand alone. The game was running a 'SATAL' standard mission. I even tried a reboot, but it didn't fix it. Is there an issue with the Jester option in MP? This was required for setting the navigation 'Fixed point' to Bullseye. 
Thanks.
Sorry for the obvious, but have you enabled the MP option in settings?
Cheers!

More 'funnies' in a game last night: 'Overlord, bogey dope' worked 100%, 'link host' worked 100%, 'link mode tactical' worked 100%, but 'link host overlord' ... 0% 😞 Despite dozens of attempts in my best BBC English, even after a reboot. This is sooo nearly working!

UPDATE: Had a similar thing in SP testing this morning, switch Host to 'Truman', then try switching back to 'Overlord'; these are the messages in the VA log:

8:40:42.446 Listening suspended
8:40:42.402 Joystick : 'Transmit TX4 release'
8:40:41.956 Done.
8:40:41.956 Constructing message...
8:40:41.955 TX4 | SEL/AUTO: [ Overlord ] ,  [ DL Host Overlord ]   
8:40:41.955 Have result, identified as command: Link Host Overlord
8:40:41.954 Have result, identified as recipient: Overlord
8:40:41.953 Captured sentence: link host overlord

But all I get is a click and no confirmation from Jester.

Edited by Kula66
  • Like 1

More 'funnies' in a game last night: 'Overlord, bogey dope' worked 100%, 'link host' worked 100%, 'link mode tactical' worked 100%, but 'link host overlord' ... 0% Despite dozens of attempts in my best BBC English, even after a reboot. This is sooo nearly working!
Train more (Microsoft one), and add words and phrases that you have trouble with to the Speech Recognition Dictionary with recordings. I have a couple of thousand added.

Ah, didn't spot that. Radios are tuned correctly of course.
Why are you using TX4?
How have you dialed the wheel in the control panel?
What frequency does it show when you press the TX?
Like I wrote, so, sorry if the these are stupid questions, but I don't have the Tomcat, yet.

I'm a beginner, so worth checking the basics.

I'm using TX4 because it appears the easiest, and other commands are generally working ok, so I think TX4 is working as intended, ie. its switching between  commands to Jester and AWACS correctly (apart from the 'Link Host Overlord' command).

Its doing VP sudo-calls correctly, eg. 'Link host' (displays the options) and some full radio calls, like 'Bogey dope', 'request rearming', etc ... just not actioning the 'Link Host Overlord', despite decoding it ok and me repeating the call again and again. Oh, 'Jester options' wasn't working either, so its not just this command. Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

'Right. I'm asking 'cause I've never used TX4. I only map TX1-3 for radios and TX5 for intercom, in corresponding airframes.
That's why I wonder how you've set it up and turned the dial.
IIRC, according to the manual TX1-3 are for radios, TX5 for intercom and TX6 as AUX (other VA commands), while TX4 is listed as reserved for future use. But I don't know if that has any impact actually.
It's strange that some commands work, and some others don't though. But it sort of sounds like when I give a command, get the confirmation beep but have it tuned to/(selected) the wrong recipient, OR I give a command and hear the click sound that will confirm that the command exists, but the recipient doesn't. Like missing AWACS etc.
Hmmmm....

I guess so, but I haven't used much else; just things like, 'request taxi', 'rearming', 'tomcat ball', tanker calls, tune radios, TACAN ... they all work ok. I can get to 2 pages in the kneeboard, but not the rest - so I think its working to a degree. However, 'Jester options' and 'Link Host Overlord' are important - flying in a match and being the only one without AWACS is not good 😞

• Like 1

• Kula66 changed the title to New user - can't get options menu to show in game (and other issues)
On 5/7/2021 at 3:13 AM, Kula66 said:

More 'funnies' in a game last night: 'Overlord, bogey dope' worked 100%, 'link host' worked 100%, 'link mode tactical' worked 100%, but 'link host overlord' ... 0% 😞 Despite dozens of attempts in my best BBC English, even after a reboot. This is sooo nearly working!

UPDATE: Had a similar thing in SP testing this morning, switch Host to 'Truman', then try switching back to 'Overlord'; these are the messages in the VA log:

8:40:42.446 Listening suspended
8:40:42.402 Joystick : 'Transmit TX4 release'
8:40:41.956 Done.
8:40:41.956 Constructing message...
8:40:41.955 TX4 | SEL/AUTO: [ Overlord ] ,  [ DL Host Overlord ]   
8:40:41.955 Have result, identified as command: Link Host Overlord
8:40:41.954 Have result, identified as recipient: Overlord
8:40:41.953 Captured sentence: link host overlord

But all I get is a click and no confirmation from Jester.

The log says that the command is being sent to Overlord instead of Jester. Try using "Jester, Link Host Overlord." In general if a command is not working make sure you are specifying the correct recipient. Sometimes the recipient is identified by context and/or previous selection of a recipient. But in this case you only named one recipient in the command, namely Overlord.

Edited by sthompson
added additional explanation.
  • Like 1

I'm Softball on Multiplayer. NZXT Player Three Prime, i9-13900K@3.00GHz, 64GB DDR5, Win 11 Home, Nvidia GeForce RTX 4090 24GB, TrackIR 5, VKB Gunfighter III with MCG Ultimate grip, VKB STECS Standard Throttle, CH Pro pedals

You have to make sure you use the correct radio for the right recipient.

COM 1 (Pilot) to the tuned Freq

COM2 (RIO) to the tuned Freq

ICS for all stuff you tell Jester.

If your radios are not tuned correct, or you use the wrong PTT, commands won't be executed.

You could switch ICS to Hot, so Jester can listen in all the times, he will pick stuff up you broadcast on the "wrong" channel and work his switches