Light transitions

Vanguard

Does it happen with normal time scale?

🖥️ i3-10100F 3.6-4.3GHz, 16GB DDR4 2666, GTX970 4GB, SSD SATA3   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M HOTAS   ✈️ FC3, F-14A/B   🚢 Supercarrier    🌍 NTTR, PG

First of all, I don't think visible range to "extreme" gains you any measurable benefits, except hogging RAM.

Turn on 2x MSAA, don't use SSAA, turn on SSLR and SSAO. Turn clouds to High and try to make out the difference 😉

Other than that looks fine to me.

Report back. Good luck!

Posted (edited)

I'm confused, you're telling me to reduce all my graphics settings to inferior settings and this will fix my reported lighting issue, or you just want me to be more polite to my hardware, but it won't make a difference with my reported issue?

Either way, even if it solves my issue, how is that not a bug?

Edited by Vanguard

I don't know how to properly respond without being possibly impolite.

Turning off MSAA and turning on SSAA rendering to two times isn't superior, it's not knowing what you're doing. Sorry to be blunt.

Secondly, I'm mostly a problem solver (for a living) when it comes to hardware and software issues. One thing I learned pretty quickly: Rule out the least probable cause, then circle the real issue, or what one might perceive as the real issue. But don't be surprised along the way.

So try it or don't, anything fine by me. From my experience I can tell you just SSAA makes a huge difference. What the harm in trying out?

Posted (edited)

The reason I'm not trying it is because I'm not looking to fix it, I'm requesting ED fix it. SSAA should have no bearing on the gradient of lighting, so, like I said, either way, even if it solves my issue, how is that not a bug?

Turning off MSAA and turning on SSAA rendering to two times isn't superior, it's not knowing what you're doing.

Really? Do you really know what you are talking about? MSAA is a "light" version as SSAA, specifically designed optimized to reduce computing overhead of SSAA at the cost of image quality. Period. That was it's goal when they designed it. No one is claiming MSAA is as pretty as SSAA even if "you know what you're doing".

I don't want to be impolite either, but asking people to basically downgrade their settings and expectation isn't a bug fix. If you're suggesting a temporary workaround until the core issue is resolved, that's a different story.

Edited by Vanguard

7 hours ago, Vanguard said:

...so, like I said, either way, even if it solves my issue, how is that not a bug?

No one is claiming MSAA is as pretty as SSAA even if "you know what you're doing".

I don't want to be impolite either, but asking people to basically downgrade their settings and expectation isn't a bug fix. If you're suggesting a temporary workaround until the core issue is resolved, that's a different story.

1. Did I ever say or imply that your observations aren't triggered by a bug? No I didn't. I believe it's a bug too. DCS is not Open Source Software, so we cannot prove the opposite. However I suppose you want to fly in the, possibly lenghty, meantime up until a fix comes out. That means often to aim for a compromise in the IT world. ED has its' hands more than full right now. The latest update didn't even address even more prominent and visible (and really visually distracting) issues that change the outcome of fights.

2. I know what MSAA and SSAA are. From my experience, unless you have super dope hardware, SSAA isn't worth the struggle and I had visual side effects as well with it (besides totally killing my FPS). Of course, you make a movie, by all means, use SSAA 10x if it was available. But I challenge the notion that it's a big deal under normal in-game conditions, battle, hands full with crosswinds and so on.

3. I'm sorry you got the impression that somehow I was justifying a fault on your behalf and shrug off ED's responsibility. IHMO I didn't. But then again, English is neither my first language nor I believe written English, at least to the degree I'm able to communicate, is a very precise language.

One more thing: There's no such thing as being impolite to your hardware with DCS, if your hardware isn't ancient. Nick said it himself, newer cards operate probably at ~ 30% of their capabilities, which is a real issue for ED to address while at the same time not punishing pilots with older architectures.

I appreciate you're only trying to help, and perhaps you're receiving some undue frustration, but basically here's how things work on this site.

Person A) I have a problem, here's my bug report

Person B) Oh, just try this and it will go away or minimize the problem

Person A) Wow, that worked great.

Now... ED believes it's fixed and will never look at it, because Person A is happy.

The rules are here for a reason: https://forums.eagle.ru/topic/124096-how-to-report-a-bug-faq-guide/

Specifically:

What we don't need

1. We don't need unnecessary discussions, we don't mind people adding to a report if they experience the same thing and maybe have a different angle, but no chit chat
  2. We don't need attitudes, maybe you think its a silly bug, or it should have been fixed before release or whatever, we require mature constructive reports without the fluff. In some cases, non-native speakers might be reading these reports, make them as clear as possible without extras for them to try and understand
  3. We don't need theories or opinions on other peoples reports.

I have no idea how I'm supposed to know if my bug has been received or acknowledged. I thought they were meant to be marked reported, investigating, whatever, but I don't see any bugs in this sections tagged with anything. Basically the mod police need to write a ticket, or it will never make it to court.

• 2 months later...

This issue has nothing to do with any settings. Its just built in game. And its very noticeable. Whole brightness and shadows change in an instance lets say every 20minutes or so (depends on the time multiplayer). I come from cars sim racing, same issue has had Assetto Corsa Competizione (24h racing and all weather), and they finally managed to fix whole thing to the lever its not noticeable or bothering after 2 years.

Here is DCS is both unfortunately.

Btw, I`m really surprised not many mention this issue.

image.png

image.png

These 2 images are taken in a difference of a fracture of a second, but you can see the huge difference in lighting, shadows falling on those mountains.

I think OP was talking about it, and not any graphics settings.

So now as it is, the day cycle is made out of some X number of segments (brightness from very bright at noon, to very dark at midnight). I would really like that to be fixed, and that the day cycle will be like IRL - so based on continuous sun travel over the sky. Or at least make the number of segments higher, so that the difference between each won`t be noticeable. 

Edited by skywalker22