oil temp & cockpit light bug

crousti

when i take off whith cockpit light on, after few minutes, temp oil needle go back to zéro, then i reset the circuit breaker (which is out), the temp oil needle works ! then i put the cockpit light on and ! bingo, circuit breaker out, needle back to zéro....:music_whistling::doh:

• 5 months later...

I have clarified the problem, I don't know if it's a bug or a feature. I will start according to the checklist and everything is OK, if I do not turn on the cockpit lighting switch and leave the light rheostat instrument at the default value, everything is OK even after reaching RPM 2000. However, as soon as I switch on the light rheostat instrument to the far right to the value "start" and then increase the speed above 2000, the OIL TEMP indicator stops showing and the compass circuit breaker "LT / OIL temp / OIL Dil" pops up.

Please explain if it is a BUG or if it is OK and then start checklist should contain an instruction that the rheostat instrument should not be turned full right to the "start" value, otherwise the lighting circuit will be overloaded and circuit breaker will pop up = OIL temp gauge (and others at same circuit) will not work anymore till circuitbreaker will be push back down.

Track included

-=Freedee=- aka -=Freesv=-

Thank you

oil temp gauge failure.trk

It is the same with me.

|Motherboard|: Asus TUF Gaming X570-PLUS,

|WaterCooler|: Corsair H115i Pro,

|CPU|: AMD Ryzen 7 3800X,

|RAM|: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3200MHz DDR4,

|SSD|: Kingston A2000 500GB M.2 NVMe,

|SSD|: Kingston 2.5´ 480GB UV400 SATA III,

|SSHD|: Seagate Híbrido 2TB 7200RPM SATA III,

|GPU|: MSI Gaming 980Ti,

|Monitor|: LG UltraWide 34UM68,

|Joystick 1|: Thrustmaster Hotas Warthog,

|Joystick 2|: T.Flight Rudder Pedals,

|Head Motion|: TrackIr 5.

• 2 weeks later...

I’ve noticed that in winter conditions (on aerobatics online) my oil temp never moves.  It stays pegged on “cold” side, even after long warm up period with oil cooler closed, oil dilution on, cowl closed, and oil pressure in normal ranges.   Might this be related?   This started with the latest release.

Edited by Cgjunk2

• 2 weeks later...

+1. Confirm.

Oil temp gauge CB will pop out if cockpit light is on, rheostat max and rpm 1500+.

Made short (as I could) track. Clean install, fresh Saved Games ...

-Spawn runway, parking brake

-cockpit light switch on, rheostat full

-rev up to 2000 rpm

-watch CB pop out / reset three times

Note, 1500 rpm is enough to quickly pop the CB. 1250 rpm holds (for a few minutes at least).

First CB pop-out at 00:39 [1:10]

DCS 2.5.6.59625 Open Beta

Intel Core i7 3630QM @ 2.40GHz (Max Turbo Frequency 3.40 GHz)

16.0GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 798MHz

2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 635M

447GB KINGSTON SA400S37480G (SATA-2 (SSD))

p47oil_temp_gauge_pops_CB_1500rpm_with_cockpit_light on.trk dcs.logs.zip

Edited by -0303-
  • Like 1

Intel Core i7 3630QM @ 2.40GHz (Max Turbo Frequency 3.40 GHz) | 16.0GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 798MHz | 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 635M | 447GB KINGSTON SA400S37480G (SATA-2 (SSD))

• 2 months later...
  • ED Team

the circuit breaker popping is reported to the team.

thanks

• Thanks 1

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

• ED Team

Hi all,

according to the schematics this is correct. Does anyone have any information it should be any other way?

Please share if you do.

thank you

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

Oil temp gauge CB pops at 1500 rpm if cabin light is on and at full rheostat. Cabin light and oil temp gauge runs through same CB?

If one squints at this photo.

http://www.nmusafvirtualtour.com/cockpits/WWII_tour/WWII-23.html

the top right breaker could read:

Compass LT

Oil Temp

Oil Dil

Inst A.    CKPIT T

something. So four things wired to this CB (including oil temp)?

Shouldn't light go out when CB pops out? Someone repeat my video at night?:detective:

Also, if CB drives "compass" in some way, that could be detectable to.

I did notice, CB doesn't pop if rheostat is low. Low rheostat is light enough (at night). One don't need to turn it up. Still, it makes no sense that full cabin light rheostat is unusable.

I'd love to see the schematics. How does this make sense?

Edited by -0303-

Intel Core i7 3630QM @ 2.40GHz (Max Turbo Frequency 3.40 GHz) | 16.0GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 798MHz | 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 635M | 447GB KINGSTON SA400S37480G (SATA-2 (SSD))

• 4 weeks later...

Hi I’m having an issue with the oil temp gage apparently failing on take off.  It drops to zero when running up the engine for takeoff.  However it does not show as a failure in the flight log.  Also I can complete a full flight with no problems other than not knowing my oil temp.

warm up still takes forever, is there something I am missing?

if I do a hot start it works fine, so I’m not sure if it is a bug or me doing something wrong.

Cheers.

I think I have had this before... Are you putting any cockpit lights on? I have a feeling (could be a bug) that if you have cockpit lighting on, when you pass 1500rpm the oil temp circuit breaker pops and you lose the gauge. If you look where your left knee would be, you should see a circuit breaker that isn't in the like others. Click on it and you will get oil temp back until you pass 1500rpm or so. I don't use the cockpit lighting so don't see this anymore but it sounds like a bug to me...

Sent from my SM-G780F using Tapatalk

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Badders46 said:

I think I have had this before... Are you putting any cockpit lights on? I have a feeling (could be a bug) that if you have cockpit lighting on, when you pass 1500rpm the oil temp circuit breaker pops and you lose the gauge. If you look where your left knee would be, you should see a circuit breaker that isn't in the like others. Click on it and you will get oil temp back until you pass 1500rpm or so. I don't use the cockpit lighting so don't see this anymore but it sounds like a bug to me...

Sent from my SM-G780F using Tapatalk

Thanks that could well be it, it do often set the cockpit lighting.  I will give it a try.  Thanks.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 2/27/2021 at 1:53 PM, Spooky32 said:

I've noticed an issue with the oil temperature gauge, it will increase reading after starting up and stay at reasonable temps whilst flying - but about 10-15 mins into the flight the needle will often drop all the way to the left of the gauge to well below freezing temps and stay there, flying around 8000 feet on a 20c clear day on the Channel map

Screen_210227_135009.png

On 2/27/2021 at 10:48 PM, -0303- said:

Cockpit light on? I think you popped a Circuit Breaker.

On 2/27/2021 at 11:30 PM, Spooky32 said:

Ahh, I see - yes that is the same issue.

Forgive me, didn't realise there was already a thread mentioning it

There are other threads about this. If this is real behaviour it seems strange.

Edited by Mogster
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

I am not sure about this one, apparently the Fluorescent fixtures were removed when they moved to the G model so that is probably indicative of the issue being experienced here. I have found all sorts of documentation online https://drive.google.com/file/d/1OcD8c_YCv3OUFLcmR99J-_p1l1XBWmV5/view though I can't find details of this particular CB's amp rating but something tells me that having 4 devices wired to it that when you ramp the lighting up full you are probably overloading the circuit. 

I am gonna have a play around and see what is going on now that you mention it

https://ww2aircraft.net/forum/threads/cockpit-lighting-in-p-47d-30.51237/

EDIT: Ok, had a little test on the channel at temp 2c in January. Warmed her up on the ramp slowly and found that everything worked as expected until I went past 30MP toward takeoff power which caused the UV spot lights to stop working 🤔 not sure why* but there was no recovering them and the CB did not pop...

The temp gauge, compass light etc all remained on as did the fluorescent cockpit lights. Strangely, the rheostat being turned ALL the way toward start turns off the UV spots but when you turn it slightly back from 100% they come on at full. 

*I am going to assume that I blew the lamps in the spots when moving toward takeoff power, as the amp meter was reading higher than the suggested 40/50 amps for general flight, which could have overloaded the filaments before the circuit breaker popped.

I would love to see the schematics that @BIGNEWYmentioned as without them it is all guess work at best and there is conflicting opinion out there (see link above) about what lights were present in the D model cockpit. Certainly most of the images available out there show only the spot styles and not the baton style fluorescents which are featured in DCS P-47D. This could certainly influence whether or not the circuit would have been overloaded as easily, though I would assume the technicians would have worked around such an issue by removing or replacing the culprit. Can't see a pilot putting up with such an issue given the environment they were flying into... 

8131627898_3f8c05dd07_b.jpgattachment.php?attachmentid=58143&d=1375dc91f3a820a6e76011ead5064c54ccd3.jpg

P47 cockpit lights.rar

Edited by Bagpipe