Ways to influence civilian road traffic (Exclusion zone or more)

Tinman

As a follow-up to my question here, I'd like to propose the introduction of ways to affect the civilian road traffic locally. Besides turning it off completely, it currently cannot be influenced (or even detected) at all.

An exclusion zone, that disables all traffic inside it (similar to the existing scenery removal functionality) would be great. Either by 'despawning' or just hiding the vehicles on entering this zone would be highly appreciated. Disabling sections of a road from the pathfinding of the vehicles (maybe between two intersections, so they still have somewhere to go and thus avoiding 'stuck' vehicles), or them reacting to units blocking the road would be even better (if feasible, I don't know how 'controllable' the system is under the hood).

On the Syria map (and maybe others) the traffic has a collision model and it makes operating on roadbases with civilian traffic enabled impossible, when you can be run over and damaged at any moment. With the upcoming releases of the Hind, Apache and Kiowa the importance of roadside bases will surely increase even more. And we do already have multiple airframes that are capable of operating from roadbases right now.

Additionally this would allow roadblocks/checkpoints/accident-sites in story-driven missions, that actually block the road instead of being constantly passed through by ghost cars.

• Like 2

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

16 minutes ago, Tinman said:

As a follow-up to my question here, I'd like to propose the introduction of ways to affect the civilian road traffic locally. Besides turning it off completely, it currently cannot be influenced (or even detected) at all.

An exclusion zone, that disables all traffic inside it (similar to the existing scenery removal functionality) would be great. Either by 'despawning' or just hiding the vehicles on entering this zone would be highly appreciated. Disabling sections of a road from the pathfinding of the vehicles (maybe between two intersections, so they still have somewhere to go and thus avoiding 'stuck' vehicles), or them reacting to units blocking the road would be even better (if feasible, I don't know how 'controllable' the system is under the hood).

On the Syria map (and maybe others) the traffic has a collision model and it makes operating on roadbases with civilian traffic enabled impossible, when you can be run over and damaged at any moment. With the upcoming releases of the Hind, Apache and Kiowa the importance of roadside bases will surely increase even more. And we do already have multiple airframes that are capable of operating from roadbases right now.

Additionally this would allow roadblocks/checkpoints/accident-sites in story-driven missions, that actually block the road instead of being constantly passed through by ghost cars.

+1

Been asked for quite often already. Can't remember ever seeing ED react to this wish though.

I'm pretty sure everybody would like to see this feature added

System specs:

i7-8700K @stock speed - GTX 1080TI @ stock speed - AsRock Extreme4 Z370 - 32GB DDR4 @3GHz- 500GB SSD - 2TB nvme - 650W PSU

HP Reverb G1 v2 - Saitek Pro pedals - TM Warthog HOTAS - TM F/A-18 Grip - TM Cougar HOTAS (NN-Dan mod) & (throttle standalone mod) - VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Plus with ALPHA-L grip - Pointctrl & aux banks <-- must have for VR users!! - Andre's SimShaker Jetpad - Fully adjustable DIY playseat - VA+VAICOM

~ That nuke might not have been the best of ideas, Sir... the enemy is furious ~ GUMMBAH

I agree that this would be an apt addition if we are truly to be in the 'year of the helicopter'. Writing a mission where you evacuate a victim in Syria without ever being able to land near a road is somewhat artificial and takes away a lot of realism. Pathing might be an issue, and simply turning off all traffic is even worse because IMHO Syria with live civ traffic looks so much more alive for helo drivers. 

• Like 1