Collective Control

Miccara

@Mokisame here.

I also have it next to my left hip and have the axis reversed so I pull for max throttle and collective up. and push to bottom the throttle and down the collective.

having the throttle always at full back helps act as a guide for your hand. you know how much collective you are pulling by how close your hand is to the throttle.

saves you having to check the EGT gauge as often as you can get a feel for it instead. (collective position in relation to throttle).

having a short throw can make it a bit twitchy in the Hip and gazelle but for the huey I find it works well.

the stick on the other hand has a way too strong return/centre spring. to fly the huey neatly.

as the huey has no flight assist you need to "stir the soup" with constant little stick inputs.

i removed the big centre spring (there are youtube video showing how).

others get extensions to make the stick longer. (more leverage )

you can fly it with the spring in but it wont be as neat and you will have a sore hand after a long cruise.

• Like 2

My Rig: AM5 7950X, 32GB DDR5 6000, M2 SSD, EVGA 1080 Superclocked, Warthog Throttle and Stick, MFG Crosswinds, Oculus Rift.

I use a X52 throttle on a pedestal that angles it down 45 degrees so you get sort of the "pull up to increase collective" effect.

My throttle is just mapped to two keys, throttle up and throttle down.  I set the throttle to 100% and let the governor control the throttle.  If I really want to practice auto rotations I can use the button to throttle down but I haven't touched my throttle in flight in months.

An extension on the stick will make fine control of the cyclic much easier.  Throttle for collective. Pedals for yaw.  I know some people use stick twist instead of pedals so its possible but every bit of control helps with a helicopter since its naturally unstable and wants to kill you all the time.

I love the Huey.  I learned a lot about how helicopters fly that I wasn't aware of before.  Its great fun going low and slow, sightseeing at or below tree level. Its also very challenging and once you figure it out very rewarding.  The Huey is also very simple system wise so learning how to get it started and ready to go is easy.  You will spend your time learning to fly and not spending hours trying to memorise all the buttons and switches to get your weapons and targeting systems sorted out.

Edited by Andurula
bad grammar
  • Like 2

On 5/1/2021 at 9:38 PM, Miccara said:

Thinking of buying the Huey. I have a Warthog setup and wondered how you manage flying a chopper without a collective control?
What do I really need to fly choppers on DCS?

I use a X56 system. Throttle is set to a ROTARY SWITCH that I can't bump into as I fly. Why? you only need it for start up and shut down. The Collective is set to Both of the Throttle handles locked together. (I have a very large hand) The throttle works in REVERSE of a Jet and Prop Plane. Push the throttle forward to remove collective pull it back to Add Collective. after you get use to it. try to fly a plane. lol 

• Like 1

On 5/2/2021 at 3:38 AM, Miccara said:

Thinking of buying the Huey. I have a Warthog setup and wondered how you manage flying a chopper without a collective control?
What do I really need to fly choppers on DCS?

I fly with a TWCS (not quite a Warthog 😛) and it works just fine!

The main thing that I quickly found out was that you're gonna want a stick with not too much tension/self-centering, as you almost always fly with the stick out-of-center.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

First become an aviator, then become a terminator

On 5/4/2021 at 4:04 AM, DishDoggie said:

I use a X56 system. Throttle is set to a ROTARY SWITCH that I can't bump into as I fly. Why? you only need it for start up and shut down. The Collective is set to Both of the Throttle handles locked together. (I have a very large hand) The throttle works in REVERSE of a Jet and Prop Plane. Push the throttle forward to remove collective pull it back to Add Collective. after you get use to it. try to fly a plane. lol 

Same here exactly on the throttle and also removed the spring from the joystick.  Extension for the joystick would be nice but works great as is.

• Like 1

On 5/14/2021 at 10:59 AM, TimRobertsen said:

The main thing that I quickly found out was that you're gonna want a stick with not too much tension/self-centering, as you almost always fly with the stick out-of-center.

And if you want a more collective-like feel on the cheap:

49731637107_615bff5026_k.jpg

Edited by jym
  • Like 7

• 2 weeks later...

I made this out of pvc and it works great!

E54677C7-895B-41C1-8D0E-8B5715AA3020.jpeg

• Like 2

Modules I look forward too: BO-105, OH-58, AH-64, BS3, Eurofighter.
Wishlist: Ah-1 (any variant), HH-60 Pavehawk/ UH-60, A-4, AH6, and F-4

Joystick/Throttle/Rudder pedals: T.16000 Stick, TWCS throttle, and T-Flight rudder pedals.

On 5/8/2021 at 2:37 AM, Stonepile said:

The best deal available for a collective can be found right here on the forum. 

I cannot praise this stick highly enough. I have had this collective stick for just over a week now.  Massively improves my handling of the Mi-8. Have not yet tried with the Huey or Gazelle yet but I expect similar results. It replaces my warthog throttle , which I used as a collective and throttle. Which to be fair did a reasonable job. Nothing beats a real collective though, in my opinion. My mounting was slightly altered as well because I couldn't get it to fit well to my chair, but the table frame is perfect with and additional mounting bracket.

IMG_0070.JPG

• Like 1

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-10700K CPU @ 3.80GHz, 3792 Mhz, 64Gb RAM, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4090,

CONTROLS: VPC Rotor TCS Base, VPC Hawk-60 Collective Grip, VPC MongoosT-50CM3 Base, VPC Constellation ALPHA Prime [R], Thrustmaster Warthog – Throttle, Thrustmaster TPR - Pendular Rudder Pedals, Honeycomb Alpha Flight Control (For Anubis C-130 Hercules), Meta Quest Pro.

SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 11,

The Huey becomes an extension of your thoughts and the Gazelle suddenly becomes a much more enjoyable experience. I really can’t say enough good things about the collective. Just a really good piece of kit for the price paid. I had no idea of what I was missing before I had it. 

• 4 months later...
On 5/14/2021 at 11:59 AM, TimRobertsen said:

Trying to get the hang of  a Hueyit too, and it seems there's no way you can set an off-center neutral point with the DCS axis controls software settings.. 

I hate TARGET, but maybe there's some scripting expert who can dive into that ? Or better, a MODDED lua script file for DCS warthog joystick profile ...

2 hours ago, jackd said:

Trying to get the hang of  a Hueyit too, and it seems there's no way you can set an off-center neutral point with the DCS axis controls software settings.. 

I hate TARGET, but maybe there's some scripting expert who can dive into that ? Or better, a MODDED lua script file for DCS warthog joystick profile ...

There is, in DCS, I can't remember what its called, something auto-pilot-cycle.

You'll find it in the controlls-meny. When you have the joystick in a position which gives you neutral flight, you push the button and release the joystick (let it re-center). Then DCS will perceive the joysticks center-position as the neutral/center-position in the Huey. Tricky to explain in text, but you'll get it the instant you test it 🙂 There is also a cancel/off-button for this function. You'll quickly find that you turn it on and off many times throughout a flight, as the Huey's neutral stick-input varies with flight-conditions.

Edit:

I think it's called Force Trim. And, if Im not mistaking, it also neutralizes the pedels in the same way, maybe.

Edited by TimRobertsen
New info

First become an aviator, then become a terminator

2 hours ago, jackd said:

yes, there is, its called trimming .. here is a good tutorial:

• Thanks 1

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

2 hours ago, jackd said:

PS can someone explain what a cyclic vs collective control is? I have a Warthog set ...

Sorry, but i am new to helicopters, and they were the reason for me to finally buy DCS a few days ago ..

Collective is your throttle. Cyclic is your stick.

5 hours ago, admiki said:

Collective is your throttle. Cyclic is your stick.

well not really. Helicopters have cyclic, collective and throttle (and pedals). Collective controls the angle of the rotor blades, resulting in more or less lift. In some helicopters, throttle and collective are linked however.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Eugel said:

well not really. Helicopters have cyclic, collective and throttle (and pedals). Collective controls the angle of the rotor blades, resulting in more or less lift. In some helicopters, throttle and collective are linked however.

Really? So, we have someone that is completely new to helicopters and asking about collective and cyclic.. Do we want to talk about ETL, transient torque, LTE, VRS, RBS? Sprag clutch? Flapback? Translational tendency?

I tried to keep it simple for him.

Collective makes him move (throttle in an airplane), cyclic makes him steer (stick in an airplane).

4 hours ago, admiki said:

I tried to keep it simple for him.

Collective makes him move (throttle in an airplane), cyclic makes him steer (stick in an airplane).

Me too, but a collective is not a throttle. Do you really think that telling a new (helicopter) player collective moves the helicopter up and down is too complicated ?
I didn´t talk about ETL, LTE, VRS and whatever.

• Like 1

I use a Warthog setup but I use it in the opposite way to the planes. Ie Throttle up in a plane is push forward. Throttle up in a chopper is pull backwards. I use the left half as the throttle and the right as the collective as this seems to make sense in my mind while playing. Raise a collective up, pull a collective back works out the same in my head and I have no issues when hoping in planes.

It is also helpful for me to rest the left side of my hand on the throttle which allows my fingers to have much finer control of the collective.

• Thanks 1

i9-9900K,Z390 Aorus Master, 32GB GSkill Trident F4-3600 DDR4, ROG Strix RTX 2080 Ti, Oculus Rift S. Thrustmaster Warthog T&S, TPR Pedals.