Warthog stick emits false input

loziu

I have recently noticed that pulling the stick to its limit  (7-11 o'clock range) changes the weapon master mode.

By using the Windows property tool, I can clearly see that this kind of movement produces a button signal "5" alongside the axis input.
On the other hand, the master mode button works as expected.

I need some help to debug the problem, as I cannot figure out how this behavior is possible (possible shortcircuit in the base ?).

I must also add that I repaired the stick about 4 months ago  (replaced TMS and cable w/ original ones), but I have never opened the base since I bought the HOTAS set (6 years ago).

If you opened the handle, there's a chance you pinched wires when putting it back together. Your discrepancy sounds exactly the same when I pinched a wire after replacing the stick connector with an offset one. 

• Like 1

Twitch Channel

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Virtual Thunderbirds, LLC | Sponsored by Thrustmaster

Z390 Aorus Xtreme, i9 9900k, G.SKILL TridentZ Series 32GB, 1080ti 11GB, Obutto R3Volution, Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog, TPR, Cougar MFDs, FSSB R3L, JetSeat, Oculus Rift S, Buddy-Fox A-10C UFC, F/A-18C UFC, Tek Creations F-16 ICP

Hi

I hope someone can chime in as I need some inputs to rule out problems with my warthog stick that I have just created icon_sad.gif
Windows failed to detect stick after I opened a grip to do tailpiece mod(13-degree angle forward)

I reopened a stick and found a pinched wire at the main cable that connects the ps2 socket to a mainboard.
I fixed this issue but windows still failed to detect the stick.
I tried to connect to the stick base without a stick to verify if the problem stems from a stick but windows cannot detect the stick base either.

My question is,
Can stick base be detected by windows without a grip?
If so, I would assume that the mainboard of the stick base get damaged when I connected a stick base with pinched wire....

As you see from the attachment, wire was not broken and it may not be the culprit of the bricked stick base...

Kind of at a loss where to start...

Thanks

thumbnail_Image.jpg

Base is picked up by Windows without a grip on my end. That's the same wire I pinched when I swapped tailpiece as well.

Do you have another PC that you could test the base on e.g. laptop, neighbors?

Twitch Channel

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Virtual Thunderbirds, LLC | Sponsored by Thrustmaster

Z390 Aorus Xtreme, i9 9900k, G.SKILL TridentZ Series 32GB, 1080ti 11GB, Obutto R3Volution, Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog, TPR, Cougar MFDs, FSSB R3L, JetSeat, Oculus Rift S, Buddy-Fox A-10C UFC, F/A-18C UFC, Tek Creations F-16 ICP

Thank you for your input Panther.

So, it means I have problem with the base, probably with PCB.

Makes me wonder how the base got damaged by a pinched wire(steel wire is not even exposed) at grip end.😶

I will give it a try with another PC tomorrow.

Thanks.

If the base is not detected then one of the wires in the base could have come loose. The wires connected to the base DIN plug are fragile and pulling the stick in and out loosens the DIN connector and it can move. I had this issue, unscrew the DIN gently pull it up and ensure all wires are connected. It is a delicate solder but once connected it worked again. I used some superglue to ensure DIN was held better in place. Worth a look to see if this is the base issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Asus ROG IX | Intel i7-9700K | RTX 2080TI | G.SKILL 32GB DDR4 3200MHz RAM | Samsung 970 EVO 2TB M2 | LG 43” 4K Monitor | TrackiR | Stream Deck XL | Warthog HOTAS | Cougar MFDs x 3 | Saitek Rudder Pedals | Logitech G13| Corsair Virtuoso Wireless Headset |

Hi

Tested with two different laptops but no luck.

I will do one last check with DIN connector and then send the PCB to an ebayer who's offering  a repair service or request a new PCB to TM.

New stick base is selling at 150-ish so buying  a new PCB at 80-ish is not making much sense though....

6 hours ago, Mudspike said:

New stick base is selling at 150-ish so buying a new PCB at 80-ish is not making much sense though....

If you're going (or need to go) for a new base, consider a Virpil WarBRD one (you can keep running Target profles with it). It's a bit more then 150 but oh so much better.

• Like 1

Win11 Pro 64-bit, Ryzen 5800X3D, Corsair H115i, Gigabyte X570S UD, EVGA 3080Ti XC3 Ultra 12GB, 64 GB DDR4 G.Skill 3600. Monitors: LG 27GL850-B27 2560x1440 + Samsung SyncMaster 2443 1920x1200, HOTAS: Warthog with Virpil WarBRD base, MFG Crosswind combat pedals, TrackIR4, Rift-S.

Personal Wish List: A6 Intruder, Vietnam theater, decent ATC module, better VR performance!

16 hours ago, Lange_666 said:

If you're going (or need to go) for a new base, consider a Virpil WarBRD one (you can keep running Target profles with it). It's a bit more then 150 but oh so much better.

First time ever searched that product.

Looks solid... nevertheless I grew up on TM, I would potentially consider it if the repair doesn't go well.

Even if you grew up on TM (i had a "modded" Cougar for 17 years and now a Warthog with Virpil Base+TM stick), your jaw will drop hard on the floor once you feel the smoothness of a Virpil (or VKB) gimbal. It will be like.... whaaaaat, no waaaaay... when you realize how crappy that TM gimbal really is compared to those. 

Win11 Pro 64-bit, Ryzen 5800X3D, Corsair H115i, Gigabyte X570S UD, EVGA 3080Ti XC3 Ultra 12GB, 64 GB DDR4 G.Skill 3600. Monitors: LG 27GL850-B27 2560x1440 + Samsung SyncMaster 2443 1920x1200, HOTAS: Warthog with Virpil WarBRD base, MFG Crosswind combat pedals, TrackIR4, Rift-S.

Personal Wish List: A6 Intruder, Vietnam theater, decent ATC module, better VR performance!

On 5/7/2021 at 5:38 AM, =Panther= said:

If you opened the handle, there's a chance you pinched wires when putting it back together. Your discrepancy sounds exactly the same when I pinched a wire after replacing the stick connector with an offset one. 

Yes, I reopened the grip and I found the GND wire for button 5 damaged (exposed strands). Some duct tape (I am out of electrical one) and a careful routing fixed the issue for me.

On 5/13/2021 at 3:31 PM, Mudspike said:

Hi

Tested with two different laptops but no luck.

I will do one last check with DIN connector and then send the PCB to an ebayer who's offering  a repair service or request a new PCB to TM.

New stick base is selling at 150-ish so buying  a new PCB at 80-ish is not making much sense though....

I've had two warthog bases and none was detected on windows without the grip connected...

I don't know if that's the case, but there's a chance that the wires that goes through the gimball get pinched by the gimbal itself, start showing strange behaviours when moving the stick and ended getting cutted and not detected on windows. Happened to me some time ago but it didn't ruined the pcb. If you are used to dissasemble things, it's easy to see just unscrewing the base ps2 connector and disconnecting the pcb din connector and getting the wire running through the hole pulling from the other side. If it doesn't run freely... you have a pinched wire. If it runs you can check the wires are all ok. It's an easy fix just replacing the wires damaged and you can put some slim shrinking tube around the part of the wires that go through the gimbal to prevent same damage in the future.

Hi deeleyer

Appreciate your input.

PCB and din cable are taken apart and in transit  for repair.

I also took out the PCB on the grip and sent it for inspection.

Will report back outcomes once repair is done.

Over the process I was checking possible solution to this matter, I took apart female din cable and found peeled off wires and tried to fix it with shrink tube.

A wire harness got a bit thicker with shrink tube on and I completely mess up with it when I was reassembling it.(through correct direction)😐

cbl.JPG

Order it from Thrustmaster direct, I got one earlier in the year, see below, pretty cheap and hassle free

The price is:

- HOTAS WARTHOG STICK FEMALE DIN CONNECTOR: €6.00

- standard shipping costs: €2.93

Asus ROG IX | Intel i7-9700K | RTX 2080TI | G.SKILL 32GB DDR4 3200MHz RAM | Samsung 970 EVO 2TB M2 | LG 43” 4K Monitor | TrackiR | Stream Deck XL | Warthog HOTAS | Cougar MFDs x 3 | Saitek Rudder Pedals | Logitech G13| Corsair Virtuoso Wireless Headset |