14 hours ago, 01G8R said:

Are you using those buttons in the mpd ?Wouldn't they be to big? Im going to use the small square tactile buttons. And print my own button caps.

https://www.dennisdeal.com/products/120-stuks-tactiele-tact-mini-drukknop-pakket-micro-schakelaar-zakjes-12-soorten-elk-10-stuks_1300898?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=gss&gclid=Cj0KCQjwkbuKBhDRARIsAALysV7o1TAvQgXxuvtJ5BDymIKcCShEx0hMJsQBmTtr2yciqA6NbtpVyiUaAtt6EALw_wcB

something like these, but i got them somewhere else.

thanks for helping out with supplying the link for the dimensions for @Hajime

3 hours ago, Jself said:

image.png

image.png

Oke wow that looks sick!! Thanks for sharing!

9 hours ago, RedskinMike said:

Are you using those buttons in the mpd ?Wouldn't they be to big? Im going to use the small square tactile buttons. And print my own button caps.

https://www.dennisdeal.com/products/120-stuks-tactiele-tact-mini-drukknop-pakket-micro-schakelaar-zakjes-12-soorten-elk-10-stuks_1300898?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=gss&gclid=Cj0KCQjwkbuKBhDRARIsAALysV7o1TAvQgXxuvtJ5BDymIKcCShEx0hMJsQBmTtr2yciqA6NbtpVyiUaAtt6EALw_wcB

something like these, but i got them somewhere else.

thanks for helping out with supplying the link for the dimensions for @Hajime

Oke wow that looks sick!! Thanks for sharing!

Yeah, those are the switches I'm going to use for the MPD.  The body is 15mm square and the switch itself is 11mm square.  This 11mm is close to the size of the original.  I'm only using mine in VR and I'm not concerned about it matching the physical appearance of the original.

3 hours ago, 01G8R said:

Yeah, those are the switches I'm going to use for the MPD.  The body is 15mm square and the switch itself is 11mm square.  This 11mm is close to the size of the original.  I'm only using mine in VR and I'm not concerned about it matching the physical appearance of the original.

Aah alright! Yea i kinda need them to match but thats just me being picky cause i want them to feel the same way they do Irl. Actualy took the switches i had with me to compare, if they were close to how they feel in the actual aircraft 😅

but love to see your work when its done!! 

9 hours ago, slowmover said:

Nice work mate.I am fallowing too

Thanks! I see ur a chinook guy ? 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, RedskinMike said:

Aah alright! Yea i kinda need them to match but thats just me being picky cause i want them to feel the same way they do Irl. Actualy took the switches i had with me to compare, if they were close to how they feel in the actual aircraft 😅

but love to see your work when its done!! 

Thanks! I see ur a chinook guy ? 

Yes I am 😎

• Like 1

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

On 9/25/2021 at 5:54 PM, 01G8R said:

Thank you for your answer.
Honestly Iam more interested to learn the size and position of the buttons relative to each other and to the screen.

I tried to measure it from the drawing you linked, but it is quite inaccurate.😅 But I give it a try.
I want to avoid to build a MFD with PCB etc. and then realize that the button position does not match to the screen (and I do not want to wait until the Apache is released)

So I would love to have a detailed .dxf or a drawing.
I can post my measurements when I finished it.

P.S. Converting inch to mm and back all the time hurts my brain and setting my CAD-system to inch feels like my skin is burning 🤣
No offense🤣

Thanks.

Edited by Hajime

Google search for the Apache manual.  That manual has higher resolution pictures of the MPD.  I took a screenshot of the PDF and put that in Fusion360 as a canvas.  Re-sized it to match the external dimensions that we know from the other PDF.  The button spacing is really easy to get once you have done that.  I believe the horizontal buttons are .75" CTC and the vertical are .8" CTC if I remember correctly.  I modified mine slightly to match the buttons I have.  My panels should be done next week and I will post pictures. 

Edited by 01G8R
  • Like 1

On 9/30/2021 at 6:44 PM, Hajime said:

Thank you for your answer.
Honestly Iam more interested to learn the size and position of the buttons relative to each other and to the screen.

I tried to measure it from the drawing you linked, but it is quite inaccurate.😅 But I give it a try.
I want to avoid to build a MFD with PCB etc. and then realize that the button position does not match to the screen (and I do not want to wait until the Apache is released)

So I would love to have a detailed .dxf or a drawing.
I can post my measurements when I finished it.

P.S. Converting inch to mm and back all the time hurts my brain and setting my CAD-system to inch feels like my skin is burning 🤣
No offense🤣

Thanks.

Hi, i also used the outer dimensions for modelling my mpd's, I used some other dimensions like the buttons, and the inner screen diameter from there you can easily model the rest of the mpd with those dimension.

If my memory is correct the button size is 9.5x.9.5mm for the square ones and the rectangular ones were 12.5x9.5.

i measured these with a ruler and they were not exactly 10x10mm, but then again im not bothered to much about half a millimeter.

The measurements of the actual screen are 155x155mm

with the outside dimensions being 215x215mm

again these are my measurements that i did with a ruler.

hope this helps

hopefully this helps.

ps: i have added a picture of my model from the top, maybe it helps.

image.png

Edited by RedskinMike
added image of MPD model

• 3 weeks later...

How's the cockpit build going? I've been playing with the TEDAC to see if I can come up with a module that's completely 3D printed, even the handles, from Fusion. That'll be a while. Are you planning on sharing any of your files?

A-10C - FC3 - CA - L-39 - UH1 - P-51 - Hawk - BS2 - F-86 - Gazelle - F-5E - AV8B - F/A-18C

i5-4590 - GTX 1060 - Oculus CV1 - TM:Warthog

[sIGPIC]http://forums.eagle.ru/signaturepics/sigpic9979_1.gif[/sIGPIC]

Yeah Jself did a great job on the 3D printed F-18 cockpit. I started to do the OpenHornet build and had a few pieces already cut out of 3/4 inch oak plywood, so I used them for the cockpit build. I modified the OpenHornet build a little, since they are using MFD board. I cut down on the wood a little, of course this wood is a lot stronger. John's 3D prints were so good, I decided to just use his stuff and add to what I already had. This is just the start of my build. For the panels I used Rust-Oleum 2 and 1 fillable and sandable primer to fill in the 3D printer lines. Then painted it black and lightly sanded the lettering down with a 200 sanding brick. Next day it is a little warmer, I am going to put a flat clear coat on them. I still need to paint the wood of the pit also. Now John just needs to release his side panel plans, lol. 

ArmPanel.jpgSpinPanel.jpg

f18cockpitbuild.jpg

• Like 2

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Im also looking for AH-64 panel dimensions.
Start working on 3D files for the main MFDs (AutoCAD)
I'll use these12,4x12,4 tactile switches (TRU Components PBS-18B 701837):
TRU switch

FA-18 VR SimPit in progress...

20210615_065730.jpg

Edited by Sperrfeuer
  • Like 2

I7-7700k 4,2 / 32 GB RAM / Geforce 2080 TI / 2x M2 500GB SSD / 1 TB SSD / Pimax 5k / WinWing Stick and Throttle

Server: [Wolfpack] Germany 93.186.198.98 Port 10308

IG Callsign: Fenris

On 10/28/2021 at 12:37 AM, hog_driver111th said:

How's the cockpit build going? I've been playing with the TEDAC to see if I can come up with a module that's completely 3D printed, even the handles, from Fusion. That'll be a while. Are you planning on sharing any of your files?

Currently also working on the last couple of panels, 

most of the times goes towards the tedac grips. They are very hard to model though.

Having a hard time atleast. But they are getting there.

I have printed the power quadrant but they need some tweaking cause run in to some clearance issues cause i forgot to calculate in the thickness of the screws i was using.

Before i share anything i want to make sure its perfect.

I wont post files that are not done all the way.

might make a website where i will upload the files if i started building my pit.

not sure how i want to do it yet maybe post the progress on youtube

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lobinjaevel said:

I've gotten this far, let me know if anything of it helps!

Still just the basics, used the manual for approx. placement so far. Will correct hole placement and such with the correct specs.
Video panel is guesstimate tho!

progress.PNG

Looks amazing, i still have to model the windshield wiper and overspeed panel

But they are easy to model.

The multi purpose displays are almost done and then its full focus on tedac. Making that a working unit.

4 minutes ago, agrasyuk said:

Looking good. 

Not that it's to critical but I'm making my TEDAC screen 158.75mm. To my understanding that's what 6.25" translates to. 

Looking forward seeing more stuff from you guys

I believe i was talking about the mpd’s at that moment but i honestly cant remember.

but yea could be again i meassured with a ruler so i might be of a couple of mills

On 10/29/2021 at 8:13 AM, Sperrfeuer said:

Im also looking for AH-64 panel dimensions.
Start working on 3D files for the main MFDs (AutoCAD)
I'll use these12,4x12,4 tactile switches (TRU Components PBS-18B 701837):
TRU switch

FA-18 VR SimPit in progress...

20210615_065730.jpg

looking good !! thanks for sharing

On 10/28/2021 at 1:15 PM, Stewart said:

Yeah Jself did a great job on the 3D printed F-18 cockpit. I started to do the OpenHornet build and had a few pieces already cut out of 3/4 inch oak plywood, so I used them for the cockpit build. I modified the OpenHornet build a little, since they are using MFD board. I cut down on the wood a little, of course this wood is a lot stronger. John's 3D prints were so good, I decided to just use his stuff and add to what I already had. This is just the start of my build. For the panels I used Rust-Oleum 2 and 1 fillable and sandable primer to fill in the 3D printer lines. Then painted it black and lightly sanded the lettering down with a 200 sanding brick. Next day it is a little warmer, I am going to put a flat clear coat on them. I still need to paint the wood of the pit also. Now John just needs to release his side panel plans, lol. 

ArmPanel.jpgSpinPanel.jpg

f18cockpitbuild.jpg

your work is also looking great! how are you getting your letters on the panel if you are cutting them out of wood ?

• 2 weeks later...

I'm able to share my first prototype of the main MFD.
Normally I take the original dimensions and fit in the buttons and switches
But with the usage of the TRU switches the MFD shape looks distorted.
So this time I've streched the MFD dimensions for the size of the switches.

Original MDF:
dimensions: 8.5 w x 8.9 h (= 215,9mm x 226,06mm)
Screen: 8.8 diagonal / 6.25 w x 6.25 h (223,52mm dia / 158,75mm w x 158,75mm h)

My Prototype (VR use only):
255mm (w) x 255mm (h) + about a few mm more for the scew mounts at the bottom side
Screen: 260mm dia / 185mm w x 190mm h

AH65D-MFD_004.jpg

AH65D-MFD_001.jpg

AH65D-MFD_003.jpg

AH65D-MFD_002.jpg

AH-64_MFD.stl

AH65D-MFD_005.jpg

Edited by Sperrfeuer
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

I7-7700k 4,2 / 32 GB RAM / Geforce 2080 TI / 2x M2 500GB SSD / 1 TB SSD / Pimax 5k / WinWing Stick and Throttle

Server: [Wolfpack] Germany 93.186.198.98 Port 10308

IG Callsign: Fenris

• 4 weeks later...
19 hours ago, xander.blade said:

Hey,

just wanted to show progress on my cyclic and collective. I chose old school approach and used clay and carboard to make master model and then I will make a mould and use resin.

Cyclic is almost ready, collective still needs some adjustments.

Side.jpg

oh well done! The old techniques are not disappointing. I am also looking forward to what you are ending up with. Do keep us posted please 🤙🏻