IPD value estimation method

Draken35

I've been using the "feel right" method since I configured my Quest 2 back in January... After much experimentation I settle in 63, which, coincidentally is my pupil distance. But, I guess, that wasn't enough to satisfy my OCD and I've been looking for a "yardstick" to get an accurate as possible value. For some reason I focused my attempts around the stick and they weren't really working.

Last night, I realize that we do have a yardstick that we can compare in our VR and RL cockpits: the seat width, and, we can compare it with our fingers... The Quest2 touch controllers can be grabbed in way where the position of your index finger matches (close enough at least) the position of your real index finder...So, if you grab the controllers that way and use your virtual finger to touch the side of your virtual seat and your real index finger touches the side of your real seat, then, your IPD value is correct.

To make it more accurate, we could find the width of the ejection seat of the plane we are flying and use it to create tactile marks in our real seat. I haven't done this yet...But I suspect my OCD will make me to.

I use an OpenWheeler seat and try this method and came with a value of 55 ...

What method do you use?

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I have been wondering what the most accurate IPD scale value is for the Harrier. I was using 59 before but have now reduced it to 56 and it just feels right. I have no reference other than trying to estimate the width of the UFC in DCS. In real life it's 132 mm wide (not including the master caution/warning light rows), so I try to estimate what that would look like in DCS -VR. 

1 hour ago, Bog9y said:

I have been wondering what the most accurate IPD scale value is for the Harrier. I was using 59 before but have now reduced it to 56 and it just feels right. I have no reference other than trying to estimate the width of the UFC in DCS. In real life it's 132 mm wide (not including the master caution/warning light rows), so I try to estimate what that would look like in DCS -VR. 

Do you know the width of the Harrier's seat? I fly mostly the harrier too... 

I got to 55 using the Harrier btw.

Edit: lol... Just read that "have no reference other than" ,,, Need more coffee 

Edited by Draken35

I turn on the camera of my Vive Pro as overlay.  Place real world object like tip of water bottle to a corner of left MFD.  Make sure it's placed exactly on the corner by looking at it from all angles.  Place another on the right MFD.  Measure the distance of bottle with tape measure.

My finding is that setting it to actual IPD of my eyes is the correct dimension.

Incorrect sense of scale sometimes comes from incorrect focal length of each eyes.  Not IPD.  Like if you look through binocular, your IPD is correct but everything will look big.

Edited by Taz1004

That is a cool feature of the Vive Pro! ... I don't think it can be done with the Quest 2.

Yes, I suspect the real value is the IPD of ones eyes, despite all the posts to the contrary... But without a real yardstick (like in your case) , I have not not been able to prove it.

My method gave me 55 and my pupil distance is 60.. To be honest, I don't perceive a difference between those two values...  Most likely, my chair width is different to the Harrier's seat width and that is why I got 55 and not 60 or closer. Hopefully, if Bog9y finds the the real width, I should be able to take a more accurate measurement.

4 hours ago, Draken35 said:

That is a cool feature of the Vive Pro! ... I don't think it can be done with the Quest 2.

Yes, I suspect the real value is the IPD of ones eyes, despite all the posts to the contrary... But without a real yardstick (like in your case) , I have not not been able to prove it.

My method gave me 55 and my pupil distance is 60.. To be honest, I don't perceive a difference between those two values...  Most likely, my chair width is different to the Harrier's seat width and that is why I got 55 and not 60 or closer. Hopefully, if Bog9y finds the the real width, I should be able to take a more accurate measurement.

You know also, I just put my reading glasses and my monitor looks huge... well everything looks huge.  I put on my driving glasses and everything looks small.  Obviously my IPD hasn't changed from my reading glasses to driving glasses.  If you wear glasses and you take them off to put on VR headset, that may throw you off on scale too.

21 minutes ago, Taz1004 said:

You know also, I just put my reading glasses and my monitor looks huge... well everything looks huge.  I put on my driving glasses and everything looks small.  Obviously my IPD hasn't changed from my reading glasses to driving glasses.  If you wear glasses and you take them off to put on VR headset, that may throw you off on scale too.

Good point. I wear progressive lenses and can't see s... nothing with out my glasses. It was really difficult to use the headset with them, so ordered VR Opticians adapters with my distance Rx only. 

I gave it the old tried and true method, "eyeball and fart..."   55 looks good to me in the Jug, and I'm sticking with it.

MSI MAG Z790 Carbon, i9-13900k, NH-D15 cooler, 64 GB CL40 6000mhz RAM, MSI RTX4090, Yamaha 5.1 A/V Receiver, 4x 2TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe, 1x 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD, Win 11 Pro, TM Warthog, Virpil WarBRD, MFG Crosswinds, 43" Samsung 4K TV, 21.5 Acer VT touchscreen, TrackIR, Varjo Aero, Wheel Stand Pro Super Warthog, Phanteks Enthoo Pro2 Full Tower Case, Seasonic GX-1200 ATX3 PSU, PointCTRL, Buttkicker 2, K-51 Helicopter Collective Control