Gaining altitude spin problem

gdotts

After takeoff 200-600 feet I sometimes get into this extreme spin that is hard to get out of.  I have a TM warthog joystick and HOTAS combo with a Logitech G rudder pedals and use the rudders them to straighten out torque from the revved up collective in gaining altitude.  Using the rudder sometimes isn't enough to cancel the spin.  Did I go too heavy on the collective in order to gain altitude and it caused an extreme spin??  Please advise!

Edited by gdotts
Added extra self comment

Did you take a look at your RPM gauge? First, full collective creates huge amount of torque that need to be canceled by tail rotor. If you drop RPM, since tailrotor is geared in higher ratio than main rotor, you lose more of RPM/ effectiveness. At full RPM, you should be able to maintain heading. If you lose just a bit of RPM, not anymore.

do a hover check and note your torque. to climb add 20% to this torque and maintain a speed of 60knots for best climb.

you don't need anymore collective from the hover torque to cruise. once you have translational lift. (you actually need slightly less)

do not exceed the red line on the torque gauge.

in real life hydraulic fluid gets sprayed out of the rotor hub and everybody can see that you exceeded it. its the same as shitting your pants. hard to hide and embarrassing.

in the game the rotor will come off .

use the torque gauge to tell you how much collective to use.

the RPM gauge will tell you if you are moving the collective too quickly.

any change in RPM and you are making to quick demands for changes in power. so move the collective slower. so the engine governor can keep up.

also keep an eye on the EGT, balance torque with the engine exhaust gas temp. to keep everything sweet.

most people fly around in DCS using as much torque as EGT will allow. (up too the red line on the torque)

rather than sticking to set speeds and preserving engines/ gearboxes by using just enough torque.

like you would in real life.

• Like 2

My Rig: AM5 7950X, 32GB DDR5 6000, M2 SSD, EVGA 1080 Superclocked, Warthog Throttle and Stick, MFG Crosswinds, Oculus Rift.

On 4/30/2021 at 3:49 PM, gdotts said:

After takeoff 200-600 feet I sometimes get into this extreme spin that is hard to get out of.  I have a TM warthog joystick and HOTAS combo with a Logitech G rudder pedals and use the rudders them to straighten out torque from the revved up collective in gaining altitude.  Using the rudder sometimes isn't enough to cancel the spin.  Did I go too heavy on the collective in order to gain altitude and it caused an extreme spin??  Please advise!

You go straight up to 200-600ft?

• 2 weeks later...

Easing up on the collective is (almost) always a good go-to-solution 😀🎉 And, of course, climbing with forward speed.

Finding the neutral position of the collective, in level forward flight, where the Huey doesn't bank or yaw much, and then do slight adjustments to initiate a climb, is what I've found to be the best way to do it 🙂 

This might sound silly, but the collective is "powerfull", so pulling too much is usually not necessary. Just nice easy small adjustments goes a long way 🙂 

First become an aviator, then become a terminator