X-56 HOTAS Tutorial

Mark Proulx

Hello everyone...

I am a brand new gamer hoping to enjoy the continuation of my flying after retirement. So, please forgive me if my question as silly...

I am trying to figure out how to set up my new X-56 HOTAS. However, I can't figure out how to set it up. Is there any kind of on-line tutorial that shows how to configure the various joystick axis' and throttle movements? 

Thanks for any insight you can provide to me.

Mark Proulx

Win11 Pro 64-bit, Ryzen 5800X3D, Corsair H115i, Gigabyte X570S UD, EVGA 3080Ti XC3 Ultra 12GB, 64 GB DDR4 G.Skill 3600. Monitors: LG 27GL850-B27 2560x1440 + Samsung SyncMaster 2443 1920x1200, HOTAS: Warthog with Virpil WarBRD base, MFG Crosswind combat pedals, TrackIR4, Rift-S.

Personal Wish List: A6 Intruder, Vietnam theater, decent ATC module, better VR performance!

There's also a Saitek subforum on the DCS forum: https://forums.eagle.ru/forum/335-saitek/

You can check there for info too (i can't help more then that, i don't have an X-5?)

But you'll figure it out...😉

• Thanks 1

Win11 Pro 64-bit, Ryzen 5800X3D, Corsair H115i, Gigabyte X570S UD, EVGA 3080Ti XC3 Ultra 12GB, 64 GB DDR4 G.Skill 3600. Monitors: LG 27GL850-B27 2560x1440 + Samsung SyncMaster 2443 1920x1200, HOTAS: Warthog with Virpil WarBRD base, MFG Crosswind combat pedals, TrackIR4, Rift-S.

Personal Wish List: A6 Intruder, Vietnam theater, decent ATC module, better VR performance!

• 1 month later...

Mark,

What aircraft are you trying to set up for in DCS ?

Are you flying using a VR Headset or on a Computer Monitor ?

Are you just trying to program to use the X56 within DCS itself or are you OK with using the Logitech G programming software for the X-56 HOTAS ? 

Every Sim Pilot has their favorite setups/settings and it's all good .... what ends up working best for you is what matters .... 

If just using DCS settings and not Logitech G you'll still have a lot of capability but won't get any real use out of the Mode M2 and M3 positions ..which is fine if you don't need them.

A VR setup is different than a PC Monitor Setup (depending again on aircraft/helo) because in VR you can set up left and right mouse clicks and mouse wheel movements on the X-56 and you don't need to program every function/switch to the joystick. In a PC Monitor Setup you may want to program more of the functions to the joystick.

For PC Monitor flying (non-VR) my go to was set up all buttons, toggles, triggers, wheels etc on M1 to be Navigation/landing/takeoff, M2 was for Air to Air Functions, and M3 was for Air-to-Ground.  Some functions exist on all three Modes (because you REALLY need them at any moment and don't want to have to worry about what Mode you are in when you do)

In the most simple manner (short of LUA programming) Some Aircraft (Flaming Cliffs) don't have mouse-clickable cockpits so you end up having to program aircraft functions to the joystick keys or map what joystick inputs you do to the functions.

One other.. I always set up pitch, roll, yaw (stick/cyclic/rudder) and throttle/collective axis in DCS Axis mapping itself regardless of whether I map everything directly in DCS or use Logitech G also with DCS mappings.

The answers to these questions will help us help you and I might have a decent X-56 profile you could use if you are using Logitech G (depending on which Aircraft and what mode (VR versus PC monitor.. I have both for some)

• Like 1

Semper Fi

AldoUSMC

Intel i7-6700 CPU @ 4 GHz, 32 GB Ram, GeForce GTX 980 Ti, Windows 10 Pro -64 Bit