ED. Do you know how to fix the clouds?

A guy posted this in discord. @BIGNEWYalready acknowledged the post in Discord ad said he forwarded it to the devs which is great!.

It struck me as very interesting. Also makes me wonder if the patch to fix VR clouds will actually require some pretty major re-engineering.

Thought I would share here though for interest:

"I know your team has already done tons of research about state of the art cloud rendering technology and such, but here is a guy explaining what he did to remove cloud jitter in VR for his game, maybe it can help the team:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5tHzP00qZMQ
in the description he writes:
"Cruising around the new volumetric cloud system I've created for my VR flight game, redacted VR. The system supports an unlimited number of cloud layers with varying density, volumetric lighting (even inside the cloud volume) and environmental effects like cloud shadows+occlusion, reflection probes and planar reflections.

It was built from the ground up to support highly defined and detailed cloud shapes at great performance. This is accomplished by baking the cloud data to 3D textures, one of which is a signed distance field which greatly speeds up rendering by allowing the ray-marcher to skip empty space more efficiently. Lighting data is also baked, allowing for shadows that span a great distance (combined with ray-marched detail shadows).

Additionally, the clouds are rendered to a spherical buffer instead of directly to the screen. This all but removes pixel jitter when rendering in VR, allows for non-power-of-two resolutions, removes the need for reprojection and doesn't require rendering the clouds in stereo (since the spherical buffer is sampled using the view direction, it can be sampled by both eyes). The buffer is then composited in each fragment, allowing the use of MSAA and removing the need for a camera depth texture.

The footage was captured on a Valve Index running on a GTX1070, at 100% render resolution and 4xMSAA."

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, Irish79 said:

A guy posted this in discord. @BIGNEWYalready acknowledged the post in Discord ad said he forwarded it to the devs which is great!.

It struck me as very interesting. Also makes me wonder if the patch to fix VR clouds will actually require some pretty major re-engineering.

Thought I would share here though for interest:

"I know your team has already done tons of research about state of the art cloud rendering technology and such, but here is a guy explaining what he did to remove cloud jitter in VR for his game, maybe it can help the team:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5tHzP00qZMQ
in the description he writes:
"Cruising around the new volumetric cloud system I've created for my VR flight game, redacted VR. The system supports an unlimited number of cloud layers with varying density, volumetric lighting (even inside the cloud volume) and environmental effects like cloud shadows+occlusion, reflection probes and planar reflections.

It was built from the ground up to support highly defined and detailed cloud shapes at great performance. This is accomplished by baking the cloud data to 3D textures, one of which is a signed distance field which greatly speeds up rendering by allowing the ray-marcher to skip empty space more efficiently. Lighting data is also baked, allowing for shadows that span a great distance (combined with ray-marched detail shadows).

Additionally, the clouds are rendered to a spherical buffer instead of directly to the screen. This all but removes pixel jitter when rendering in VR, allows for non-power-of-two resolutions, removes the need for reprojection and doesn't require rendering the clouds in stereo (since the spherical buffer is sampled using the view direction, it can be sampled by both eyes). The buffer is then composited in each fragment, allowing the use of MSAA and removing the need for a camera depth texture.

The footage was captured on a Valve Index running on a GTX1070, at 100% render resolution and 4xMSAA."

Holy shit. This dude needs to be signed by ED

• Like 1

Did anyone notice that the video is exactly a year old? How come people like these fly around for more than a year under the radar? Also, the video has 20k clicks, seriously? But when some Hollywood b_XYZ tells us what a great day she had in her 20 M $ mansion, she gets 20k clicks in a minute. Sad place...

• Like 3

• ED Team

Team is working hard on it, 

when we have news we will share it. 

thank you

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2