Data cartridges

Mivina

Make a uniform waypoint insertion system by data cartridges.

This is mostly for multiplayer to reduce monotonous manual waypoint insertion after death/change of aircraft.

As i imagine after you slot into your aircraft for the first time you would use some kind of interface or even the map to set waypoints and then use a radio command to have the cartridge plugged into the aircraft (or it can be made automatically on rearming). I know that different aircraft already use map for this, but the marks should be entirely clientside and we would love a solution from ED that would then cover all the planes that can use it. This could also remove the navigation restraints from the planes that don't have manual waypoint creation (such as FC3)

• Like 7

yes, this has been brought up multiple times already. good new is, that it is worked on (or has been worked on in the past), but no word on when to expect such a feature.

by the way it should cover more than just adding waypoint from mapclicks. i hope and expect a full mission planner to cover all parts of flight planning, including fuel calculations and aircraft setup not covered by a cartridge alone (radio setup, laser codes...). hopefully also a user friendly way to manage and customize your kneeboard etc.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, twistking said:

yes, this has been brought up multiple times already. good new is, that it is worked on (or has been worked on in the past), but no word on when to expect such a feature.

by the way it should cover more than just adding waypoint from mapclicks. i hope and expect a full mission planner to cover all parts of flight planning, including fuel calculations and aircraft setup not covered by a cartridge alone (radio setup, laser codes...). hopefully also a user friendly way to manage and customize your kneeboard etc.

This.

DTC functionality, without some kind of planning tool kinda defeats the point, especially given just how many different parameters and functions can be controlled via the DTC.

Take a look at the F-16CM or the Hornet for instance, there's a heck of a lot more to it than just navigation steerpoints. And for multiplayer the planning tool should be available via the ground crew menu when cold, or in the lobby or something.

Edited by Northstar98
  • Like 4

Modules I own: F-14A/B, Mi-24P, AV-8B N/A, AJS 37, F-5E-3, MiG-21bis, F-16CM, F/A-18C, Supercarrier, Mi-8MTV2, UH-1H, Mirage 2000C, FC3, MiG-15bis, Ka-50, A-10C (+ A-10C II), P-47D, P-51D, C-101, Yak-52, WWII Assets, CA, NS430, Hawk.

Terrains I own: South Atlantic, Syria, The Channel, SoH/PG, Marianas.

System:

GIGABYTE B650 AORUS ELITE AX, AMD Ryzen 5 7600, Corsair Vengeance DDR5-5200 32 GB, Western Digital Black SN850X 1 TB (DCS dedicated) & 2 TB NVMe SSDs, Corsair RM850X 850 W, NZXT H7 Flow, MSI G274CV.

Peripherals: VKB Gunfighter Mk.II w. MCG Pro, MFG Crosswind V3 Graphite, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro.

This.

DTC functionality, without some kind of planning tool kinda defeats the point, especially given just how many different parameters and functions can be controlled via the DTC.

Take a look at the F-16CM or the Hornet for instance, there's a heck of a lot more to it than just navigation steerpoints. And for multiplayer the planning tool should be available via the ground crew menu when cold, or in the lobby or something.
Don't you have the Jeff, North?
If I remember correctly, when on the ground, you make your waypoints on the F10 map, and ask the crew to update the DTC
And if you forget to open your canopy, they will knock on it.
Now the Jeff have also all kinds of settings on the special tab. If one could have a way of updating/changing these settings in game and updating the DTC with them. That would be cool.

Sent from my MAR-LX1A using Tapatalk

7 hours ago, MAXsenna said:

Don't you have the Jeff, North?
If I remember correctly, when on the ground, you make your waypoints on the F10 map, and ask the crew to update the DTC

I do not, but the Viggen has a similar system, but it's mostly employed as a workaround, given that we don't have a dedicated planner for it.

And it's still fairly bare bones compared to a dedicated planner (the F10 map just navigation steerpoints AFAIK, it doesn't do things like pre-planned threats etc), I'm not familiar with the DTC capabilities of the JF-17, but for the Hornet and F-16, there's a heck of a lot more to it.

Now the Jeff have also all kinds of settings on the special tab. If one could have a way of updating/changing these settings in game and updating the DTC with them. That would be cool. emoji4.png

Yes, and if I remember rightly the options in special tab in the settings are usually present in 'additional parameters for aircraft' in the ME.

The best system though for me personally, is something along the lines of that other F-16 orientated sim if you're familiar with it.

Edited by Northstar98
  • Like 2

Modules I own: F-14A/B, Mi-24P, AV-8B N/A, AJS 37, F-5E-3, MiG-21bis, F-16CM, F/A-18C, Supercarrier, Mi-8MTV2, UH-1H, Mirage 2000C, FC3, MiG-15bis, Ka-50, A-10C (+ A-10C II), P-47D, P-51D, C-101, Yak-52, WWII Assets, CA, NS430, Hawk.

System:

GIGABYTE B650 AORUS ELITE AX, AMD Ryzen 5 7600, Corsair Vengeance DDR5-5200 32 GB, Western Digital Black SN850X 1 TB (DCS dedicated) & 2 TB NVMe SSDs, Corsair RM850X 850 W, NZXT H7 Flow, MSI G274CV.

Peripherals: VKB Gunfighter Mk.II w. MCG Pro, MFG Crosswind V3 Graphite, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro.

Snip...

The best system though for me personally, is something along the lines of that other F-16 orientated sim if you're familiar with it.

This one, that's as old as you?
But we will get there eventually. I'm sure they're pretty far along, and the Viper is the perfect candidate. I'm just crossing my fingers the solution will incorporated in all existing (and future) modules where applicable. And I hope we will have sort of per mission/campaign save function.
Cheers!

0d4833e263f0bbbc68e7ed2ff6d4dd17.jpg

Sent from my MAR-LX1A using Tapatalk

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, MAXsenna said:

This one, that's as old as you? emoji6.png

Yep, that's the one! 😅

15 minutes ago, MAXsenna said:

But we will get there eventually. I'm sure they're pretty far along, and the Viper is the perfect candidate. I'm just crossing my fingers the solution will incorporated in all existing (and future) modules where applicable. And I hope we will have sort of per mission/campaign save function.
Cheers!

It certainly is, and definitely agreed!

• Like 1

System:

15 hours ago, Northstar98 said:

This.

Honestly, I don't even care about a planning tool at this point. Just put an .lua file somewhere in the Saved Games folder that doesn't get nuked after each patch and let the community develop the tools to use it like we've done with everything else. A lot of things like countermeasure programs and screen setups don't change between flights. We'd only need a software like CombatFlite to edit and export steerpoints to the .lua and we're able to do everything we need to do.

• Like 5

-Col. Russ Everts opinion on surface-to-air missiles: "It makes you feel a little better if it's coming for one of your buddies. However, if it's coming for you, it doesn't make you feel too good, but it does rearrange your priorities."

DCS Wishlist:

MC-130E Combat Talon   |   F/A-18F Lot 26   |   HH-60G Pave Hawk   |   E-2 Hawkeye/C-2 Greyhound   |   EA-6A/B Prowler   |   J-35F2/J Draken   |   RA-5C Vigilante

7 hours ago, WHOGX5 said:

Honestly, I don't even care about a planning tool at this point. Just put an .lua file somewhere in the Saved Games folder that doesn't get nuked after each patch and let the community develop the tools to use it like we've done with everything else. A lot of things like countermeasure programs and screen setups don't change between flights. We'd only need a software like CombatFlite to edit and export steerpoints to the .lua and we're able to do everything we need to do.

While I appreciate everything modders can do that turns everything to gold, at the same time I see them as poison.  I cringe every time I see a new mod come out (A-4 for example, a module I really want to see in game) because it doesn't give ED much incentive to actually move forward and do it themselves.  Why is ED going to invest time in making troops deployable and such, when CTLD will do the same thing.  Again, nothing against modders.  ED just needs to step up their game.

To the OP, I agree, something more universal needs to be done to make MP more enjoyable. 

Not to derail the thread, but imho ED needs to create a unified platform for modders, something like github or gitlab for programmers. Currently the whole modding scene is a mess. Some zip files on a google drive, some dude posts them to mega, another one in the forums, some files are 404.

I truly believe modding is the only alternative to bring DCS on par with expectations. Many DCS pilots have been in the military themselves and can provide valuable insight into procedures. This knowledge would vanish with them if they'd lose interest in DCS due to lack of sufficient improvement.

Does anybody remember the original Counter-Strike? One of the most successful games in history? Guess what, it was a mod at first that eventually changed the landscape of competitive multi player gaming.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/2/2021 at 10:50 AM, Pocket Kings said:

Not to derail the thread, but imho ED needs to create a unified platform for modders, something like github or gitlab for programmers. Currently the whole modding scene is a mess. Some zip files on a google drive, some dude posts them to mega, another one in the forums, some files are 404.

I truly believe modding is the only alternative to bring DCS on par with expectations. Many DCS pilots have been in the military themselves and can provide valuable insight into procedures. This knowledge would vanish with them if they'd lose interest in DCS due to lack of sufficient improvement.

Does anybody remember the original Counter-Strike? One of the most successful games in history? Guess what, it was a mod at first that eventually changed the landscape of competitive multi player gaming.

And even better, imagine having a solution like that integrated with DCS. Being able to download mods via the DCS menues, activate/deactivate with checkboxes, create different presets, getting updates pushed, etc. Would make things a whole lot easier than moving stuff between folders depending on if you do IC or non-IC friendly stuff.

• Like 2

-Col. Russ Everts opinion on surface-to-air missiles: "It makes you feel a little better if it's coming for one of your buddies. However, if it's coming for you, it doesn't make you feel too good, but it does rearrange your priorities."

DCS Wishlist:

MC-130E Combat Talon   |   F/A-18F Lot 26   |   HH-60G Pave Hawk   |   E-2 Hawkeye/C-2 Greyhound   |   EA-6A/B Prowler   |   J-35F2/J Draken   |   RA-5C Vigilante

11 hours ago, WHOGX5 said:

And even better, imagine having a solution like that integrated with DCS. Being able to download mods via the DCS menues, activate/deactivate with checkboxes, create different presets, getting updates pushed, etc. Would make things a whole lot easier than moving stuff between folders depending on if you do IC or non-IC friendly stuff.

And lets not forget the security factor here. If you visit some of these download pages, there are a couple of DOWNLOAD HERE buttons, but they're basically malware. I wonder how many people have killed their Windows install by clicking on the wrong link. With an integrated tool, we could do checksumming and cryptographical verification in order to prohibit corrupted files from entering the system.

• Like 1

On 5/1/2021 at 1:52 PM, WHOGX5 said:

I agree. ED will need a .lua file for their DTC variant anyway, so releasing this as soon as possible would be a nice stopgap until they finish their DTC and Mission Planner (2022-2023?).

I use CombatFlite, so this would be awesome. But if the possibility is availabe, I'm sure there will be enough incentive for some other freeware tools beeing created.

• Like 2

Intel I9 10900k @5.1GHz | MSI MEG Z490 Unify | Corsair Vengeance 64GB - 3600MHz | EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3
VPC T-50 Base /w Viper & Hornet Grip | VPC Rotor TCS Pro w/ Hawk-60 Grip | TM TPR
LG C2 42" | Reverb G2 | TIR 5 | PointCtrl | OpenKneeboard

• 1 month later...

I would add, please include the countermeasures programs programming in those data Cardriges.

Yes I know the existence of DICE, but there is compatibility issues between addons, for example DICE and VAICOM so including officially would force the creators to make them compatible.

Thanks!