Anybody fly this module without rudder pedals?

Bought this module and haven’t even touched it yet. Worried about the taxi/wheel brake situation without pedals. My hotas is the gladiator nzt with an x52 throttle. 
I’m hoping one of u feel generous enough to help me figure out the best way to approach the situation. 
I’m a newb all around.  Couple months with fc3 planes amd bought the hornet, f-16 and the spitfire for the sale that’s going on now. 

Edited by Skwirl865

I used the X-52 twist on the stick with the Spitfire, for about 2 years before I bought pedals, but I've had this stick for a long time and was very use to it.

There's no doubt you're going to find it difficult, but it can be done.

The Spit doesn't have pedal brakes. It has differetial air brakes, with a lever on the stick. I map the D button on the throttle for brakes, with or without pedals.

Here's a vid from 2016.

Edited by Holbeach
  • Like 1

I7 2600K @ 3.8, CoolerMaster 212X, EVGA GTX 1070 8gb. RAM 16gb Corsair, 1kw PSU. 2 x WD SSD. 1 x Samsung M2 NVMe. 3 x HDD. Saitek X-52. Saitek Pro Flight pedals. CH Flight Sim yoke. TrackIR 5. Win 10 Pro. IIyama 1080p. MSAA x 2, SSAA x 1.5. Settings High. Harrier/Spitfire/Beaufighter/The Channel, fanboy..

It's entirely doable, but difficult. I've done a few take-offs and landings in the Spitfire with keyboard (Just to see if I could). If you have a twist stick, you'll be fine, but I'd definitely recommend getting a set of pedals when able - It's much more enjoyable!

Virtual Horsemen - Right Wing (P-51)  - 2008... 

Virtual Ultimate Fighters - Lead (P-47) - 2020...

I've only ever used twist grip stick, previously T1600 now VKB.    Also fly IL-2 and !L-2 Cliffs of Dover same way.  Dont "chase" the yaw on takeoff/landing, add a small amount and gauge the response.  The amounts needed vary dynamically as speed increases/decreases.  The damping on the VKB stick make it almost effortless

Edited by Reccelow
spelling
  • Like 1

I used to fly with twist stick T16000, it does work.

With keys, you will be able to take off and land and that's about it.

Dropping bombs with accuracy or shooting planes or ground strafing are impossible, most of the aiming are done via rudder, and you need quite precision there.

Edited by grafspee

System specs: I7 14700KF, Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite, 64GB DDR4 3600MHz, Gigabyte RTX 4090,Win 11, 48" OLED LG TV + 42" LG LED monitor

7 hours ago, Holbeach said:

I used the X-52 twist on the stick with the Spitfire, for about 2 years before I bought pedals, but I've had this stick for a long time and was very use to it.

There's no doubt you're going to find it difficult, but it can be done.

The Spit doesn't have pedal brakes. It has differetial air brakes, with a lever on the stick. I map the D button on the throttle for brakes, with or without pedals.

Here's a vid from 2016.

The “d” button on the x52 throttle?  Which one is that and how do I use it for the differential brakes?  Does it work in conjunction with the twist of the throttle to apply brakes to 1 wheel or the other?

6 hours ago, Mogster said:

Doesn’t the X52 throttle have a rocker under the handle you can use for rudder control. Maybe that’s just the X45.

Unfortunately it doesn’t. The tm t1600m throttle does. I’m not sure about the x-45

The D button is in front of the slider. Map it to "W". This operates the lever on the stick.

Hold the stick back, twist left, press D for operation of the left brake. Centre for operation of both brakes, right for right brake.

Juggle low power to keep moving. Practice on some open field, till you get the method sorted.

It will eventually come to you.

It's no more difficult than with pedals, but pedals are much more immersive.

Good luck.

I7 2600K @ 3.8, CoolerMaster 212X, EVGA GTX 1070 8gb. RAM 16gb Corsair, 1kw PSU. 2 x WD SSD. 1 x Samsung M2 NVMe. 3 x HDD. Saitek X-52. Saitek Pro Flight pedals. CH Flight Sim yoke. TrackIR 5. Win 10 Pro. IIyama 1080p. MSAA x 2, SSAA x 1.5. Settings High. Harrier/Spitfire/Beaufighter/The Channel, fanboy..

there is actually, a much easier way to steer on the ground with a twist joystick:

find the increase and decrease brakes controls in de controls list and bind them to something. now in the game, increase the brakes just a little. (look at the brake needles in the bottom left)  Now watch what happens when you use the twist on your joystick: one side of the brakes actually gets momentary released, allowing you to steer normally using the rudder, without having to tap the brakes all the time. It will take a little more power to get moving, since the brakes are continuously a little on , but this works way better than having to tap the brakes all the time.

don't actually use the normal brakes key when you do this though, because it will reset your brake amount to zero again, and you will have to increase the brakes again. unless off course, you need to actually stop, or are about to takeoff.

i even set my brakes up just before touchdown during a landing. not to hard off course, or you will tip over. This will give you immediate control on touchdown with a twist joystick.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 5/2/2021 at 9:42 PM, nighteyes2017 said:

there is actually, a much easier way to steer on the ground with a twist joystick:

find the increase and decrease brakes controls in de controls list and bind them to something. now in the game, increase the brakes just a little. (look at the brake needles in the bottom left)  Now watch what happens when you use the twist on your joystick: one side of the brakes actually gets momentary released, allowing you to steer normally using the rudder, without having to tap the brakes all the time. It will take a little more power to get moving, since the brakes are continuously a little on , but this works way better than having to tap the brakes all the time.

don't actually use the normal brakes key when you do this though, because it will reset your brake amount to zero again, and you will have to increase the brakes again. unless off course, you need to actually stop, or are about to takeoff.

i even set my brakes up just before touchdown during a landing. not to hard off course, or you will tip over. This will give you immediate control on touchdown with a twist joystick.

^ as Nighteyes says. This is my trick too. Set the brake very low, modulate rpm up and down from idle to1800 max and use the rudder twist/axis  🙂     If I can taxi with a T.Flight one hotas and no rudder pedals (albeit slowly) then anyone can.

Edited by Droning_On
Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600x [OC_4700Mhz  1.27v All Core],   AMD Rx6700XT 12GB,    32Gb DDR4_3200 CL16,    M.2_NVMe(OS) + 1TB M.2 SSD for DCS install ,    Delan opentrack IR,    QHD 1440p@75Mhz 32" HDR Monitor.

Hotas heavy modded  T.Flight Hotas One - 3D printed Mods. 3D Printed Pedals 3D prinded Delan Clip, Future mods…Upgrade T.flight to Hall sensors…more switches….F-16 ICP,  Spitfire/Mossie switch labels and future Athentikit Spit Mk iX controls.

• 4 weeks later...
On 4/30/2021 at 2:50 PM, reece146 said:

If you wanted an "excuse" to buy rudder pedals... here's your chance.

I can't imagine trying to learn this aircraft without pedals - yes it can be done as said above - but OMFG what a chore that must be!

I have pedals but for my P47, I only use them for wheel breaks for taxi and landing.  I've tried to use pedals for rudder I various game but find it unnatural as I'm so used to twist stick. Might be because my PC place doesn't allowed a lot of room for pedals so they are a little to close. Also the pedals are just G25 racing wheel pedals.  Not ideal for flight sims.

i7 13700k @5.2ghz, GTX 3090, 64Gig ram 4800mhz DDR5, M2 drive.

You can fly warbirds w/o rudder pedals, but this is only that, only flying. Forget about dogfighting where pedals are the most important thing which allow you to draw maximum turn performance from your plane. So you not only need some kind of rudder pedals but you need good quality rudder pedals with great precision, so you can fly with perfect coordination.

System specs: I7 14700KF, Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite, 64GB DDR4 3600MHz, Gigabyte RTX 4090,Win 11, 48" OLED LG TV + 42" LG LED monitor

No you really can’t fly this plane well without some sort of rudder control. A twist stick or pedals that provide an axis for this is pretty vital. There is an Auto Rudder setting though which would be the only way. That’s what it’s for. Using keys for the rudder would be a form of self inflicted torture. The Spitfire needs very deft rudder control on takeoff and landing (if you want to be able to use the plane again afterwards) and I’m not sure how Auto Rudder would function when landing in a crosswind. 

i9-14900KS | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO | 64GB DDR5 5600MHz | iCUE H150i Liquid CPU Cooler | 24GB GeForce RTX 4090 | Windows 11 Home | 2TB Samsung 980 PRO NVMe | Corsair RM1000x | LG 48GQ900-B 4K OLED Monitor | CH Fighterstick | Ch Pro Throttle | CH Pro Pedals | TrackIR 5

• 1 month later...

Precise rudder control is the most important thing while flying any warbird. It allow for coordinated flight. If you want turn tighter or fly as fast as possible rudder is way to go other wise even anton will out turn you