Strange flickering on Caucasus

Is anyone seeing strange flashes/flickering across the Caucasus map? It’s happening when using scattered cloud presets mainly. It’s like the ground shadows are popping in and out. 

i7 8700k @ 5.0ghz. Strix GTX1080Ti. 32GB RAM @ 3600. 2x Hyper X SSD’s with DCS on one. Oculus Rift S. Asus PG278-QR. Liquid Series PC with liquid CPU and GPU cooling.

Confirmed, I noticed those flashes while replaying a track. However they occur when I'm below the lowest "deck" of clouds, mainly in the under 3000 ft range. I only noticed them near the edges of rivers. I initially thought my graphics card had issues since it hit 60°C. I'll keep my eyes open.

7 hours ago, Pocket Kings said:

I initially thought my graphics card had issues since it hit 60°C.

60degC is not hot for GPUs nor any semiconductor and conductor in general 😄

one thing tho, it depends where the temperature is read, for example you could have 60degC core but 100degC hotspot somewhere on the GPU at the same time which could cause problems in some architectures. Usual artifacting culprit is video memory either it is running too hot or more likely speed for those timings is set too high.

Overall I wouldn't be so concerned about those since a lot of users are experiencing some kind of artifacting with 2.7, especially on AMD side.

8 hours ago, Pocket Kings said:

Confirmed, I noticed those flashes while replaying a track. However they occur when I'm below the lowest "deck" of clouds, mainly in the under 3000 ft range. I only noticed them near the edges of rivers. I initially thought my graphics card had issues since it hit 60°C. I'll keep my eyes open.

Yeah happens under the lowest deck. It’s particularly noticeable looking down in the valleys near the Caucasus mountains. 
My 1080Ti is on a EK water block and I’m still seeing temps of 72 degrees.

i7 8700k @ 5.0ghz. Strix GTX1080Ti. 32GB RAM @ 3600. 2x Hyper X SSD’s with DCS on one. Oculus Rift S. Asus PG278-QR. Liquid Series PC with liquid CPU and GPU cooling.

I just noticed some 'black diamonds' rotating/flickering across the screen. Wasn't able to do some screenshots or a video yet though. Was at Caucasus ~ 20.000 ft between 2 cloud layers.

I just happend from the inside view. All good with external views.

Brrrrrrrrrrrt

I'd rather call in a Strike Eagle...

I7 6700K, MSI Z270 Gaming Pro Carbon, 32GB G.Skill Ripjaw V 3200, Inno3D GTX 1080, Samsung 970 Evo, Thrustmaster 1.6000M, TrackIr 5

Are your terrain shadows set to flat by any chance? I noticed they don't quite work as expected in 2.7 at least for me

5 minutes ago, AnimalMother711 said:

I just noticed some 'black diamonds' rotating/flickering across the screen. Wasn't able to do some screenshots or a video yet though. Was at Caucasus ~ 20.000 ft between 2 cloud layers.

That's probably this and seems like another issue

Yes looks like kind of that. But shadows are set to default. Will check with different settings asap. Thanks anyways.

Brrrrrrrrrrrt

I'd rather call in a Strike Eagle...

I7 6700K, MSI Z270 Gaming Pro Carbon, 32GB G.Skill Ripjaw V 3200, Inno3D GTX 1080, Samsung 970 Evo, Thrustmaster 1.6000M, TrackIr 5

Just done another flight on Caucasus using one of the high scattered presets and it's the shadows that are cast on the ground by the clouds that are flashing. It's really bad once you get over the hills and mountains. Tried a repair, deleted shaders etc and it does it on all cloud quality presets too. It doesn't appear to do it using a heavily overcast preset. Strange...hope ED can fix this along with the jumping clouds.

Can confirm this happens on Syria too.

Edited by 30mikemike

1 hour ago, 30mikemike said:

Yeah happens under the lowest deck. It’s particularly noticeable looking down in the valleys near the Caucasus mountains. 
My 1080Ti is on a EK water block and I’m still seeing temps of 72 degrees.

Spot on. I was approaching Kutaisi with my Wingman and noticed those glitches while heading south over the mountains into the valley by the river while leaving the lowest layer of clouds.

1 hour ago, XPACT said:

Are your terrain shadows set to flat by any chance? I noticed they don't quite work as expected in 2.7 at least for me

Tried any shadow setting, still happens. But yeah, I already felt that "flat" seems to propel these glitches better (or worse) than default.

However I tinkered with the graphics settings a lot since 2.7 because I only run an GTX 1060 OCed version. Finding a reasonable priced card is impossible right now. I already thought that the coast line of the Black Sea looked weired compared to 2.5.x.

I've just done a quick flight which shows the issue I'm having.....you'll clearly see the ground shadows flashing, especially down in valleys etc.

Test1.trk

Not sure if you need this this but I've attached the log from the flight too...

dcs.log

Edited by 30mikemike

5 minutes ago, Flappie said:

Many thanks, @30mikemike. I am able to reproduce this. Here's a short clip.

Have you guys seen this with other maps?

Hi mate. No probs at all.....

I tested it on Syria and it does exactly the same.

Just to point out I'm not using any mods and my GPU driver is the latest one.

I use a rather dated GPU driver and I don't use any mods either, and I'm able to reproduce as well.

It's most probably linked to the new clouds and lighting effects. I'll ask ED crew to take a look but I'm pretty sure they are already aware of this issue.

Don't accept indie game testing requests from friends in Discord. Ever.

16 minutes ago, Flappie said:

I use a rather dated GPU driver and I don't use any mods either, and I'm able to reproduce as well.

It's most probably linked to the new clouds and lighting effects. I'll ask ED crew to take a look but I'm pretty sure they are already aware of this issue.

Yeah I imagine they're probably aware and it's more than likely down to the new lighting/clouds......Thankyou, appreciate it. 👍 

Damn I re-flew in the Caucasus mountains, deep in the valley and at 11 KM and I couldn't reproduce it. There were even low hanging clouds in the valley. But as I said, I've seen it too as few days ago. It's especially visible near sharp edges like rivers or at the base of steep mountains.

4 hours ago, Pocket Kings said:

Damn I re-flew in the Caucasus mountains, deep in the valley and at 11 KM and I couldn't reproduce it. There were even low hanging clouds in the valley. But as I said, I've seen it too as few days ago. It's especially visible near sharp edges like rivers or at the base of steep mountains.

Take a look at the video track of mine

that Flappie has put up...is that what you’re seeing? Or are you seeing the antialiasing issue that’s apparent on the horizon in some cloud settings? If it is that then ED are aware of it.

3 hours ago, 30mikemike said:

That Flappie has put up...is that what you’re seeing? Or are you seeing the antialiasing issue that’s apparent on the horizon in some cloud settings?

Both, however the anti-aliasing issue is more of a problem while making screenshots, not so much in cockpit view. Yesterday I accidentally used fog. That prevented me from observing the shadow flickering in the valleys.

Yeah the antialiasing issue is pretty annoying but it’s definitely on ED’s radar to fix, as they said so in the patch notes.

if they can fix that, the wobbly clouds and the shadow flashing issue then it’d be pretty much perfect.

32 minutes ago, BIGNEWY said:

I have reported the shadow flicker on the ground. 

thanks

Cheers mate, appreciate that...👍

Shadows cast by clouds on water on the SoH map also move around when you move your head in VR, in the same way the old clouds used to move. I take it this is the same issue?

Spoiler

Ryzen 9 5900X | 64GB G.Skill TridentZ 3600 | Gigabyte RX6900XT | ASUS ROG Strix X570-E GAMING | Samsung 990Pro 2TB + 960Pro 1TB NMVe | HP Reverb G2
Pro Flight Trainer Puma | VIRPIL MT-50CM2+3 base / CM2 x2 grip with 200 mm S-curve extension + CM3 throttle + CP2/3 + FSSB R3L + VPC Rotor TCS Plus base with SharKa-50 grip mounted on Monstertech MFC-1 | TPR rudder pedals

OpenXR | PD 1.0 | 100% render resolution | DCS "HIGH" preset

• 2 months later...
On 5/4/2021 at 9:40 AM, BIGNEWY said:

I have reported the shadow flicker on the ground. 

thanks

Hey...just wondering if there’s any news on this issue? Thanks...