DCS Controller Pitch Issue

DCS Controller.JPG

Hi Everyone

Apologies if this has surfaced previously but I have checked and can't find a similar question.

I have just purchased the F-86 Sabre and have Thrustmaster Hotas Warthog A-10C stick and Throttle controllers. I have followed Mags brilliant tutorials and bound the axis controllers successfully and everything seems to works well except....

The Pitch default setting brings the nose up sharply after take-off. I have done some research and found the reference to the Controller function. So, now, before I start flying, I bring up the controller and check to see how the Joystick appears to the system. In all cases, the diamond sits below the cross hairs (see attached screen shot). I can centre the Pitch function by trimming down from the joystick assigned 'Trim Down' function. However, the cross hairs in the controller schematic always seem to be about two thirds up the screen and I would have thought they should have been dead centre. I always calibrate the joystick through the windows usb controller function before starting DCS. So, is this what everyone else expects or should the controller function be showing a more central position for the pitch and roll function ?

If anyone can either say that - that is the norm or point me in the right direction to show me how to adjust the joystick / controller configuration properly, then I would be extremely grateful.

Many thanks

Ed

Edited by Ed-B

Just did a quick run to check. I'm having the same. And other airplanes have the stick dead in the center when i bring up the controls indicator.

So i guess it's intentional. If the F-86 is the only payware module you have, just check the Su-25T. The controls should be in the center there if your stick is correctly calibrated, you can then rule out an error there.

For the sharp pitch up after take-off, just push the stick forward a bit. If you don't like that behavior, play around with the axis tuner in the DCS control setup, make it less agressive (check which F-86 profile you edit, game or sim). 

• Like 1

Win10 Pro 64-bit, i7-4770K @ 4.5 GHz, Corsair H100i, AsRock Extreme4, ASUS Strix 1080Ti OC 11GB, 32 GB DDR3 G.Skill 2400. Monitors: LG 27GL850-B27 2560x1440 + Samsung SyncMaster 2443 1920x1200, HOTAS: Warthog with Virpil WarBRD base & hegykc MFG Crosswind modded pedals, TrackIR4, Oculus Rift S.

Personal Wish List: A6 Intruder, Vietnam theater, decent ATC module, better VR performance!

Hi Lange_666

Many thanks for getting back to me. I have followed your suggestion and tried the Christen Eagle and you are absolutely right, the Controls Indicator is set centrally. So it must be something to do with the Sabre itself. Yes, that's a great idea. I played with the axis tuner before this mornings take off in the Sabre and it corrected the pitch-up issue. I wonder if it is worth reporting this to DCS ? Is there a way of reporting issues to the development team ? Anyway, thanks again for your help with this. I really enjoy the F-86 and following your advice, I'm up and running. All the best, Ed

42 minutes ago, Ed-B said:

Is there a way of reporting issues to the development team ?

- You can create a support ticket:  DCS main website --> Support (you need to be logged in to create a ticket).

- The F-86 subforum: https://forums.eagle.ru/forum/106-dcs-f-86f-sabre/

• Like 1

Win10 Pro 64-bit, i7-4770K @ 4.5 GHz, Corsair H100i, AsRock Extreme4, ASUS Strix 1080Ti OC 11GB, 32 GB DDR3 G.Skill 2400. Monitors: LG 27GL850-B27 2560x1440 + Samsung SyncMaster 2443 1920x1200, HOTAS: Warthog with Virpil WarBRD base & hegykc MFG Crosswind modded pedals, TrackIR4, Oculus Rift S.

Personal Wish List: A6 Intruder, Vietnam theater, decent ATC module, better VR performance!

Hi Lange_666

That's great, I wasn't sure how to raise awareness at DCS, that's really helpful.

I have to say I'm really enjoying DCS and the Sabre. It's a brilliant sim and has become my favourite.

Take care and thanks again for all of your help,

All the best

Ed

Hi All

I have received a reply from Konstantin at DCS and he has described how to set the trim prior to take off. Many thanks Konstantin. I'm posting his reply here to help others who may have experienced similar issues.

Ed

Hi : Konstantin

Many thanks for getting back to me. Brilliant. It works. Thank you so much for sorting this out.

I’ll post your reply on my request to help others who may be experiencing similar problems.

All the very best to you and the team,

Ed

Sent: 06 May 2021 15:06
To: edward_brush@msn.com
Subject: [TID#113091] DCS World: Your ticket has been updated

Your ticket has been updated

[ED/TFC Support]

Your ticket #113091 has been updated.

Message added

ANSWER (and view all correspondence)

For email answering please keep the ticket number in the subject and DO NOT QUOTE CORRESPONDENCE!

Subject: Your ticket has been updated

Hello.

Sorry for the delayed response
if you run the mission as a start on the ground - the trimmer automatically adjusts to takeoff

DCS F-86F Flight Manual EN.pdf from DCS World\Mods\aircraft\F-86\Doc\

8.4. Before Take-off
G e n e r a l I t e m s C h e c k
1. Check that the flaps are extended.
2. Check that the trim tabs are in the take-off position as follows:
2.1. Center the control stick.
2.2. Activate the position indicator [RCtrl + Enter] .
2.3. Set the elevator trim tab to take-off position by pressing and holding [RCtrl + ;]. The
control stick position indicator will start slowly moving downwards. Also, the take-off trim
DIGITAL COMBAT SIMULATOR F-86F SABRE
position indicator light will glow briefly and then go out. When this occurrs, the
elevator trim tab take-off position is set.
2.4. Set the aileron trim tab to the take-off position by pressing and holding [RCtrl + ,] or
[RCtrl + /]. The control stick position indicator will start slowly moving right or left respectively.
When the trim tab is in the take-off position, the take-off trim position indicator light will glow
briefly and then go out. If the aileron trim tab was in the neutral (take-off) position before-hand,
the lamp will blink as soon as the keys are pressed.

Best regards and many happy landings !
Konstantin "MotorEAST" Kharin
Eagle Dynamics IT Team

[ED/TFC Support]

Please do not reply to this email. We're unable to respond to inquiries sent to this address.