Low spec GPU - 2.7 performance issues

Go to solution Solved by Droning_On,

AMD RX570 8GB _ Ryzen 5 1600AF _ 16GB DDR4 _ NVME SSD + SSD storage  @1080p

Hi. Ive posted a few time on these forums to say that my performance with 2.7 and the new clouds was really good ,  however after trying to fly various missions its obvious that the clouds on budget spec GPU is a huge issue.

My previous performance on the above system with a mixture of high/Medium LoD textures, low water, Vis range High, heat blur off, low cockpit shadows, cockpit res 512, 2xMSAA, flair+dirt + rain i was getting a solid 45-65 fps in campaigns/missions and multiplayer.  Yes at lower settings with trackIR and at 45fps looking out the window wasnt as smooth as I would have liked but its an older card and i was content.  Bring on the clouds.....

Firstly 2.7 is AMAZING. Free flight around the various maps it looks amazing with not a huge drop in frames 45-55fps (well it didnt seem so bad at first) however once i started doing campains/missions and mutlplayer things have become frustrating.  Ive spend  many a night over the past week trying all sorts of setting combinations to try and keep the game looking as good as possible but the impact of the clouds has meant that i need to nerf every other setting to low or off, switch off MSAA, cockpit shadows and change cockpit res to 256  to get a decent smooth fps.  Needless to say my graphics settings look bloody awfull just to get the clouds.  This has reduce the immersion that i had previously and to be perfectly honest im not enjoying this new ver.  Visuals for me seems like step back to 1.5 with clouds. (Edit i know they arn’t and its my GPU thats the issue but visualy thats the comparison)

ED if your reading this i REALLY appreciate where DCS is going and i WILL be buying a new GPU if they ever come back in stock but some additional optimisation for lower spec pc’s would be greatly appreciated so i can enjoy the wonderful clouds

Edited by Droning_On
  • Like 1
Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600x [OC_4700Mhz  1.27v All Core],   AMD Rx6700XT 12GB,    32Gb DDR4_3200 CL16,    M.2_NVMe(OS) + 1TB M.2 SSD for DCS install ,    Delan opentrack IR,    QHD 1440p@75Mhz 32" HDR Monitor.

Hotas heavy modded  T.Flight Hotas One - 3D printed Mods. 3D Printed Pedals 3D prinded Delan Clip, Future mods…Upgrade T.flight to Hall sensors…more switches….F-16 ICP,  Spitfire/Mossie switch labels and future Athentikit Spit Mk iX controls.

I'm running an even worse setup + virtualized, although I have a GTX 1060, but should be in your ballpark. Please create a screenshot of your settings page. I'm running most things on high and get 60 fps and like ~ 40 on the ground, which is fine for me.

• Like 1

• Solution

right.... think i found the sweet spot thanks to the following youtube vid...  Fantastic stuff from Commander Steinsch

now averaging 50-60 fps @1080p  with no graphical issues  both large scale missions and multiplayer......happy camper again... settings are as follows:

Screen_210501_190040.png

On 5/1/2021 at 11:07 AM, Pocket Kings said:

I'm running an even worse setup + virtualized, although I have a GTX 1060, but should be in your ballpark. Please create a screenshot of your settings page. I'm running most things on high and get 60 fps and like ~ 40 on the ground, which is fine for me.

whats ur settings Kings..?  think the 1060 is a little better than the rx570 but not by much

Screen_210503_000248.png

Screen_210503_000253.png

Edited by Droning_On
Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600x [OC_4700Mhz  1.27v All Core],   AMD Rx6700XT 12GB,    32Gb DDR4_3200 CL16,    M.2_NVMe(OS) + 1TB M.2 SSD for DCS install ,    Delan opentrack IR,    QHD 1440p@75Mhz 32" HDR Monitor.

Hotas heavy modded  T.Flight Hotas One - 3D printed Mods. 3D Printed Pedals 3D prinded Delan Clip, Future mods…Upgrade T.flight to Hall sensors…more switches….F-16 ICP,  Spitfire/Mossie switch labels and future Athentikit Spit Mk iX controls.

Screen_210502_230222.png

Screen_210502_234006.png

Spoiler

Sleek Viper Skin, love it.

These are my settings:

DCS-settings.png

On the ground I see ~ 40 FPS, low level flight it can drop to under 30 but rarely (lots of smoke and plenty of speed), up in normal airspace mostly ~ 60 fps. I'm currently learning the Su25-T and all the various Russian bombs, yes the old brick but it's fun. Since it's a slow plane I might have to double down on my graphic settings by the time I fly a MiG or Flanker again and quick reactions become essential. Oh and I have slight overclocking, but nothing fancy.

• Like 1

On 5/4/2021 at 8:22 AM, RosyPlays said:

Check out my post it might help you, I have a GTX 1060 too I run game mostly at 60 to 90 FPS on multiplayer.

https://forums.eagle.ru/topic/269368-dcs-world-27-graphics-explanation-and-optimization-guide-for-better-fps/?tab=comments#comment-4640442

Excellent post Rosy….  I’ll try some tweaks tonight

On 5/3/2021 at 1:37 AM, Pocket Kings said:

Sleek Viper Skin, love it.

These are my settings:

DCS-settings.png

On the ground I see ~ 40 FPS, low level flight it can drop to under 30 but rarely (lots of smoke and plenty of speed), up in normal airspace mostly ~ 60 fps. I'm currently learning the Su25-T and all the various Russian bombs, yes the old brick but it's fun. Since it's a slow plane I might have to double down on my graphic settings by the time I fly a MiG or Flanker again and quick reactions become essential. Oh and I have slight overclocking, but nothing fancy.

no way my rx570 8gb will run smoothly on your setting… going to try but im thinking AMD and DCS are not bedfellows.

• Like 1
Spoiler

3 minutes ago, Droning_On said:

Excellent post Rosy….  I’ll try some tweaks tonight

no way my rx570 8gb will run smoothly on your setting… going to try but im thinking AMD and DCS are not bedfellows.

My recommendations are to:
turn OFF SSAO it doesn't make much difference and takes like 10-15FPS
Make Water Quality LOW I tested it there wasn't any difference in the air other than 20FPS decrease also the video you posted was very helpful you can see how there isn't much difference.
Decrease Clutter/Grass it can take away up to 30FPS at 1500.

Visibility Range can be increased to Ultra or Extreme it only took like 1FPS from each increase so like 6FPS from Low to Ultra.
Preload Radius can be increased I didn't notice any performance drop from 300 to 100000.

15 minutes ago, RosyPlays said:

My recommendations are to:
turn OFF SSAO it doesn't make much difference and takes like 10-15FPS
Make Water Quality LOW I tested it there wasn't any difference in the air other than 20FPS decrease also the video you posted was very helpful you can see how there isn't much difference.
Decrease Clutter/Grass it can take away up to 30FPS at 1500.

Visibility Range can be increased to Ultra or Extreme it only took like 1FPS from each increase so like 6FPS from Low to Ultra.
Preload Radius can be increased I didn't notice any performance drop from 300 to 100000.

Thanks…. Going to have a play with Vis Range and SSLR.   Not all that fussed with heat blur but like too see some grass when i taxi to runway.  Preload radius is an unknown,  im running SSD’s so may whack that up to max

Spoiler