mig-21 landing

Xilon_x

It's a STOL technique. It requires the ground crew to look over the gear after employment of this method.

EDIT: Forgot to mention, according to Air Commodore Surrendra "Bundal" Tyagi of the Indian Air Force, it's also done just for the flair as it looks cool. Never, ever underestimate the willingness of pilots to do stuff just for the wow-factor.

I've heard it used for STOL and I've heard it's just for show from SMEs with considerable expertise with both the -21 and Eastern bloc aircraft in general. So, I guess it really depends on the operator and what they allow for or demand in their operational doctrines and procedures.

Edited by MiG21bisFishbedL

Reformers hate him! This one weird trick found by a bush pilot will make gunfighter obsessed old farts angry at your multi-role carrier deck line up!

On 4/28/2021 at 5:54 AM, MiG21bisFishbedL said:

Never, ever underestimate the willingness of pilots to do stuff just for the wow-factor.

At a museum near my home, they have an OV-10 Bronco, one of the curators said the plane got damaged back in its service years because a pilot decided to reverse the blade pitch for a more dramatic, shorter landing. The abrupt and unexpectedly violent drop out of the sky badly damaged the undercarriage... and was a direct influence on them putting a weight on wheels sensor on the OV-10's prop pitch to prevent future ''bright ideas''.

Just cause something's dangerous and/or stupid doesn't mean somebody won't do it 😛 If anything, it may increase the likelihood of them doing it!

Де вороги, знайдуться козаки їх перемогти.

5800x3d * 3090 * 64gb * Reverb G2

2 hours ago, Mars Exulte said:

At a museum near my home, they have an OV-10 Bronco, one of the curators said the plane got damaged back in its service years because a pilot decided to reverse the blade pitch for a more dramatic, shorter landing. The abrupt and unexpectedly violent drop out of the sky badly damaged the undercarriage... and was a direct influence on them putting a weight on wheels sensor on the OV-10's prop pitch to prevent future ''bright ideas''.

Just cause something's dangerous and/or stupid doesn't mean somebody won't do it 😛 If anything, it may increase the likelihood of them doing it!

I'm not at all surprised. You put a 23-24 year old idiot with a bach degree in basket weaving and an OCS ticket in the cockpit of an aircraft, they will find a way to do something stupid and dangerous.

I say this, fully admitting, I did stupid things in a 172 when I was building time. Like air racing between patches of woods out on the great plains with buddies.

Reformers hate him! This one weird trick found by a bush pilot will make gunfighter obsessed old farts angry at your multi-role carrier deck line up!