Newby: Virpil user (in the future) wants suggestions

Hi,

After a long time of being absent (20+jr), I want to pick up flight sims again. I want to buy a Virpil set-up and wonder if there is anyone Sr user out there who can help me with the selection of stick, base, extension, tablemounts etc...

Thanks.

Ps. I know it takes a while to be delivered.

-----

Don't practise till you got it right.

Practise till you don't do it wrong

Uff...

that is really hard to answer, cause a lot of those questions regards your personal environment.

The one suggestion I would give is, that you want a long extension. That gives you so much more fine control which can be useful for flying difficult maneuvers, like hovering a harrier or air-to-air refueling e.g.

Keep in mind though, that a long extension needs a long table mount, which pushes you quite far back from your desk. Could be an potential issue with small monitors or short arms. 😅

For the grip - consider which will be your most important/most complex module, and see that you select a grip that has sufficient amount of heads and buttons. E.g. the F-14 grip is certainly optimal if you want to fly a F-14, but is otherwise very limited and insufficiant for an A-10 or F/A-18 to map the hotas close to the real aircraft.

You can use thrustmaster grips with virpil bases, though.

• Like 2

"Muß ich denn jedes Mal, wenn ich sauge oder saugblase den Schlauchstecker in die Schlauchnut schieben?"

21 hours ago, Hiob said:

Uff...

that is really hard to answer, cause a lot of those questions regards your personal environment.

The one suggestion I would give is, that you want a long extension. That gives you so much more fine control which can be useful for flying difficult maneuvers, like hovering a harrier or air-to-air refueling e.g.

Keep in mind though, that a long extension needs a long table mount, which pushes you quite far back from your desk. Could be an potential issue with small monitors or short arms. 😅

For the grip - consider which will be your most important/most complex module, and see that you select a grip that has sufficient amount of heads and buttons. E.g. the F-14 grip is certainly optimal if you want to fly a F-14, but is otherwise very limited and insufficiant for an A-10 or F/A-18 to map the hotas close to the real aircraft.

Thanks for the reply! I am going to fly the FA-18 to start with. I was wondering if I should use the Mongoose or the constellation.

-----

Mongoose is let's say a bit more close to a standard layout and ergonomy to the F18/A10/F16 sticks.

On other hand Alpha Constellation has some more functions available on it, like an extra analog minijoystick. Also Alpha is a bit more appealing on aspect and have an  Lockable Twist Axis as well, unlike the Mongooos

You can check on Virpil's product description and see what type of inputs you gonna prefer. My personal opinion goes for Alpha, but this only for me!

As bases, the choice is pretty simple .. if you look for a table top mount then WarBRD is the way to go. If you want a center mounted stick with extension then CM2 is the way to go. 

Romanian Community for DCS World

HW Specs: AMD 7900X, 64GB RAM, RTX 4090, HOTAS Virpil, MFG, CLS-E, custom

Please do also consider a vkb base.

Quality wise vkb is en par with virpil, but the joystick base has the advantage of adjustable friction damper. The only downside of vkb is that you need an adapter, if you want to use a warthog grip at some point (no problem, though).

I’ve never had any issues with mixing virpil (my throttle) and vkb (my stick, with a warthog grip).

Edited by Hiob

"Muß ich denn jedes Mal, wenn ich sauge oder saugblase den Schlauchstecker in die Schlauchnut schieben?"

27 minutes ago, Hiob said:

Please do also consider a vkb base.

Quality wise vkb is en par with virpil, but the joystick base has the advantage of adjustable friction damper. The only downside of vkb is that you need an adapter, if you want to use a warthog grip at some point (no problem, though).

I’ve never had any issues with mixing virpil (my throttle) and vkb (my stick, with a warthog grip).

Thank you. Just was on their website and could not find the base only option? Looked like Grips or Grips with base. Am I correct in thinking that they are a little bit more expensive as Virpil?

I also did not see the throttle as something you can buy?

(looking at EU site)

Edited by Bullshit

-----

Sorry, when I bought it, I chose the bundle with the F-14 grip. I can‘t tell if they sell it standalone.

They don‘t have a throttle option as far as I‘m aware of. I‘m just using their base (with extensions and mounts).

The F-14 grip is good, but I tried a TM warthog A-10/F-16 grip and stayed with it.  (the f-14-grip really is only good for the f-14 and simpler aircraft, but not suitable for A-10/FA-18/F-16 and so on...)

Don‘t get me wrong. There is really nothing wrong with virpil. I think it‘s pretty much the gold standard (except, they don‘t have much replica options).

I suggest to look for some in depth reviews on either hardware on youtube.

Edit: Important! Regarding TM Warthog, I only would recommend their grip-option. The base is crap (IMHO).

Edited by Hiob
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Hiob said:

Sorry, when I bought it, I chose the bundle with the F-14 grip. I can‘t tell if they sell it standalone.

They don‘t have a throttle option as far as I‘m aware of. I‘m just using their base (with extensions and mounts).

The F-14 grip is good, but I tried a TM warthog A-10/F-16 grip and stayed with it.  (the f-14-grip really is only good for the f-14 and simpler aircraft, but not suitable for A-10/FA-18/F-16 and so on...)

Don‘t get me wrong. There is really nothing wrong with virpil. I think it‘s pretty much the gold standard (except, they don‘t have much replica options).

I suggest to look for some in depth reviews on either hardware on youtube.

Edit: Important! Regarding TM Warthog, I only would recommend their grip-option. The base is crap (IMHO).

Since I will be spending a lot of money (base - grip-throttle - 2 x table mounts) and maybe the rudders... I am watching a LOT of video. Can't find any about comparing mongoost vs Constellation... so far I am assuming constellation is more space sim oriented?

-----

Yeah, I can't say something about those.

Neither is a replica, so I won't care, if it is "meant" for space sims.

What I like about the Constellation is the wheel in the middle. I always considered it ideal for zooming (from the looks of it - never had a chance of actually trying).

They seem to have about the same amount of buttons and heads...

Consider the size of your hands.

2 hours ago, Hiob said:

Yeah, I can't say something about those.

Neither is a replica, so I won't care, if it is "meant" for space sims.

What I like about the Constellation is the wheel in the middle. I always considered it ideal for zooming (from the looks of it - never had a chance of actually trying).

They seem to have about the same amount of buttons and heads...

Consider the size of your hands.

When I measure my hands, where can I check if I match up?

Does anyone know how much space/depth a deck mount needs on your desk... how far does it go onto your desk (I have 7,3 cm)?  It's 7,5 cm 🙂

Edited by Bullshit

-----

I don't think that exact measuring of your hands will help...

that's not how it works, unfortunately. 😅

I was just refering to some reviews, where it was mentioned, that stick xyz is exceptional long/large and not for small hands.

I was just reminded of that, when I saw the picture of the MongoosT. (which looks long)

I guess, if you happen to have exceptional small hands, you'd probably already be aware of it.

wldkAeQ0Lm2zlj2ZiZ0MItqT6nKvQ0M4Qw.png?1

RMFd3iXZV2V6geq0kXa0EyoQNh7nftwCkw.png?1

The first picture shows the control stick assembly with the large extension and throw.

For me this is pretty much the best/most versatile setup.

The only important point to consider is, that the long angled mount pushes you quite far away from your desk.

Yes I agree, if you really need your mouse to do stuff... you might need to do something with that too.

I have a DXRacer chair, I am now also starting to wonder if you can still sit comfortably while interacting with all these set up. You don't want to pull your stick into your chair.

The more I research, the more questions I have.....

🙂

-----

• 4 weeks later...
On 4/28/2021 at 11:35 AM, Hiob said:

Uff...

ok.. I bought the following Virpil stuff:

VPC ACE Flight Pedals

VPC Desk Mount V3 - L 

VPC Flightstick Extension - 200mm

VPC Desk Mount V2/V3 Adapter - MT-50 Throttle (2)

VPC Desk Mount V3 - S 

VPC MongoosT-50CM3 Throttle

VPC MongoosT-50CM2 Base

VPC MongoosT-50CM2 Grip

VPC Desk Mount - Rubber Gasket (3)

VPC Mouse Mount Adapter

(to arrive tuesday/wednesday)

Also got TrackIR

I hope there are players with similar setup who can tell me how they set-up they Hotas.

-----

When you look into Chuck's Guides, there are suggestions for the most important bindings for every module.

He uses a Warthog setup for reference, but that doesn't matter.

Just bind those buttons, which are closest or feel best for you.

There is really no wrong or right here. Just personal taste and more or less similarity to reality (depending on your stick and the module).

Since every Setup will perfectly fit one or two modules at best (F16+A10 e.g.) - you will always make compromises anyway.

The only useful(?) suggestion I can make is, you want to be as consistant as possible throughout the modules. E.g. put the speedbrake in the same place on every jet which has one.

Nothing is more confusing, when the basic controls are different every time. Another example would be cage/uncage, or pilot lockon or something like that. Things that are needed intuitivly in a dogfight.

But regardless of how many tips you will get here. Eventually you will start trying and changing things on your own as you advance in experience. That's part of the fun.... 😅  

• Like 1

On 4/30/2021 at 11:16 AM, Double Dutch said:

You don't want to pull your stick into your chair.

🙂

No Problem here. I think, the leg rests in a fighter cockpit are quite long to support the with the G-forces.

IMG_1120.jpg

2 hours ago, Hiob said:

No Problem here. I think, the leg rests in a fighter cockpit are quite long to support the with the G-forces.

IMG_1120.jpg

I think the towel is a great add-on, is it a Virpil towel?

🙂

Whats next Virpil Aviation sunglasses.

On 4/29/2021 at 8:11 PM, Hiob said:

I don't think that exact measuring of your hands will help...

that's not how it works, unfortunately. 😅

I was just refering to some reviews, where it was mentioned, that stick xyz is exceptional long/large and not for small hands.

I was just reminded of that, when I saw the picture of the MongoosT. (which looks long)

I guess, if you happen to have exceptional small hands, you'd probably already be aware of it.

wldkAeQ0Lm2zlj2ZiZ0MItqT6nKvQ0M4Qw.png?1

RMFd3iXZV2V6geq0kXa0EyoQNh7nftwCkw.png?1

The first picture shows the control stick assembly with the large extension and throw.

For me this is pretty much the best/most versatile setup.

The only important point to consider is, that the long angled mount pushes you quite far away from your desk.

This is exactly going to be mysetup, including the virpil desk clamps, I even have the large (curved) stick extension

-----

29 minutes ago, Double Dutch said:

I think the towel is a great add-on, is it a Virpil towel?

...that's a hoodie... 🙃

and actually my setup is a total mix of vkb, virpil and mfg....

(and lot of DIY obviously)

Edited by Hiob
  • Like 1