I resolved my crashes in 2.7

Gierasimov

As many of us, I was getting a lot of crashes in 2.7 beta and submitted numerous crash dumps to the automated process. 

Investigating the error log I noticed that ALL my crashes, while at different times, situations, aircraft, all shared the common message logged in the dump:

EDCORE: C:\Windows\SYSTEM32\d3d11.dll (this .dll would then be one of the listed below).
EDCORE: # C0000005 ACCESS_VIOLATION at 6E7F6BAE 00:00000000

I also noticed the Event ID 1000 pointing to these things:

Top occurrence would be:

Faulting application path: E:\DCS World OpenBeta\bin\DCS.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Windows\SYSTEM32\d3d11.dll 

Then less frequent:

Faulting module path: C:\Windows\SYSTEM32\ntdll.dll

Couple of:

Faulting module path: E:\DCS World OpenBeta\bin\Transport.dll

One:

Faulting module path: E:\DCS World OpenBeta\bin\dx11backend.dll

Now, I prefer working DCS, so I decided to disable Windows DEP, just to check if that would help me.

It did. 

Now, as an systems person, I would not recommend disabling Windows DEP, however, since DCS is a 64-bit application and Windows DEP protects all 64 bit files by default, the only option is to disable it, one cannot make an exception for DCS only. 

It helped me a lot. No crashes anymore. If you want to try:

Open Command Prompt as administrator, then type:

bcdedit.exe /set {current} nx AlwaysOff

Reboot and test,

If you are not happy with it, you can enable it with bcdedit.exe /set {current} nx AlwaysOff command.

Do it if you want, don't do it if you don't want. Sharing it here as my DCS runs flawlessly now and I was struggling to run a stable 1 - hour single player mission before.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

30.04.21 - I re-enabled my DEP now, and testing the new drivers from nVidia -466.27

So far I had no crashes in typical scenarios, but testing in progress. 

06.06.21 -- good, stable beta

Edited by Gierasimov
Status update
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Intel i7-13700KF :: ROG STRIX Z790-A GAMING WIFI D4 :: Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB ::  MSI RTX 4080  Gaming X Trio  :: VKB Gunfighter MK.III MCG Ultimate :: VPC MongoosT-50 CM3 :: non-VR :: single player :: open beta

I would like to suggest turning DEP for just DCS. https://www.online-tech-tips.com/windows-xp/disable-turn-off-dep-windows/ look for section "How To Configure Or Turn Off DEP" 

• Like 1

AKA_SilverDevil AKA Forums My YouTube

“It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.” — Mark Twain

4 hours ago, Boogdud said:

Even 64bit can be excluded, but its then an extra work to exclude all of needed applications then.

6 hours ago, Convexrook said:

Risky!

I know. But makes my DCS run without issues. 

I always fight with SecOps teams at my workplace trying to balance security with usability...

Edited by Gierasimov

Intel i7-13700KF :: ROG STRIX Z790-A GAMING WIFI D4 :: Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB ::  MSI RTX 4080  Gaming X Trio  :: VKB Gunfighter MK.III MCG Ultimate :: VPC MongoosT-50 CM3 :: non-VR :: single player :: open beta

I will just say this:

when you turn DEP off and it really helps with the issue that means that executing program is not using system memory in a safe manner, all kinds of issues can occur if left like that

Not to mention all possible exploits and security risks involved with disabling it. I wouldn't do it except for debugging purposes.

• ED Team

I will mention this thread to the team, thanks for your feedback

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

46 minutes ago, BIGNEWY said:

I will mention this thread to the team, thanks for your feedback

Thank you.

@icemaker - you probably should start your own topic. but your issue appears to me to be the following:

2021-04-28 12:23:26.015 INFO    EDCORE: C:\WINDOWS\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\nvmdi.inf_amd64_fd6b823f03746fed\nvwgf2umx.dll
2021-04-28 12:23:26.015 INFO    EDCORE: # C0000005 ACCESS_VIOLATION at 677FDEA3 00:00000000

did a quick search for this file name and found lots of crashes for other games. this is a video driver issue.

“It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.” — Mark Twain

1 hour ago, silverdevil said:

@icemaker - you probably should start your own topic. but your issue appears to me to be the following:

did a quick search for this file name and found lots of crashes for other games. this is a video driver issue.

I had those errors in my logs too, when DCS suddenly started crashing. For me it has helped to roll back Windows Update KB4589212, which was installed on my rig earlier this week:

https://forums.eagle.ru/topic/270049-windows-woes-random-ctd-fixed-by-rolling-back-win10-update-kb4589212-intel-microcode-update/?tab=comments#comment-4646556

Interesting. Further research found that this particular update was released in 2020. It was reissued. It was for Intel Microcode for some vulnerability. It appears to be a forced update. But the file itself is from NVIDIA.

17 minutes ago, silverdevil said:

Interesting. Further research found that this particular update was released in 2020. It was reissued. It was for Intel Microcode for some vulnerability. It appears to be a forced update. But the file itself is from NVIDIA.

How’s your R12 running with DCS ?

ALIENWARE R11 - I9 10900KF @ 5.1 GHz - M.2 NVMe 2TB - RTX3090  - XFURY 64GB -3400 MHz RAM

Monitor AW3420DW @ 120Hz - Virpil CM3 Throttle - TM TPR Rudder pedals - Virpil CM2 w/TM Hornet Stick Center - Monstertech Deck Mounts 

RealSimulator FSSB-R3 Lightning Base w/ F16SRGRH SideStick - VR user / Varjo Aero - Big Thx to mbucchia

Start Date April 2020 

6 hours ago, Burt said:

How’s your R12 running with DCS ?

excellent. i just tried the t45 takeoff from nellis at 10 PM. it was pitch dark. i flew over the city and got a good video. HD versions are still processing. thanks youtube 🙂

Edited by silverdevil