MCGPro GFMk2: Can you use the Trim ministick to alter the centre pos of the main stick?

jonsky7

Hi,

When flying the helicopters in DCS, there's a limitation where once you've clicked the force trimmer you may not be able to achieve full deflection in all directions. This is obviously a limitation with self-centering non FFB joysticks and flying helicopters in games.

For example, fast forward flight in the Huey needs quite a lot of forward stick input, so you press the trimmer and the new centre is created. But this now means that when you pull full back on the joystick, the in game cyclic stick is only slight aft of it's actual centre position and so you lose some control authority. As helicopters also usually need some roll trim, you lose some left right authority.

What I'm trying to achieve is full control authority independent of trimmer position. 

One idea is to use "relative axis" to move the joystick position instead of using force trim, but I don't know if it will work, mainly because I don't know if it's possible or even how to do it.

any ideas?

You can create new axis centre, but I don't know how DCS will interpret that. DCS is having issues as it is now to interpret binded modifiers. I usualy resort to making macros instead of combo keypresses. Also, new centre will change your resolution. If you don't need return to centre function (for flying FW), you can remove springs and cams, tighten clutches and that will act as physical force trim.

2 hours ago, admiki said:

You can create new axis centre, but I don't know how DCS will interpret that. DCS is having issues as it is now to interpret binded modifiers. I usualy resort to making macros instead of combo keypresses. Also, new centre will change your resolution. If you don't need return to centre function (for flying FW), you can remove springs and cams, tighten clutches and that will act as physical force trim.

Yeah that's a good idea, I do use my joystick for flying fixed wing too though, thanks for the suggestion though.