DCS Crash when dropping GBU-12 or MK-82s from the Hornet

Inanity

Reproduced with GBU-12s and MK-82s so far.

Details:

• Game froze when pressing weapon release (ordinance never dropped). DCS stopped responding and crashed
  • Running with TrackIR 5 (Not VR)
  • Happened both on Syria & Persian Gulf
  • Both sessions in multiplayer on a dedicated server
  • No mods running on either server or client
  • Tacview 1.8.6 installed on both server & client (was running at the time)
  • Clean install of DCS 2.7.0.5118 Open Beta

Loadout: 

9X BRU-33 2xGBU-12 Fuel tank AIM-120C-5 BRU-33 2xMk-82 500lp AN/AAQ-28 Fuel tank BRU-33 2xGBU-12 9X

Unable to add a replay track since the crash caused the track to convert into a regular mission file.

Can provide a server track if needed but its over two hours long and the bug occurs in the first hour.

See attached for system specs and dcs.log when the crash occurred between 2021-04-26 19:26:39.621 - 2021-04-26 19:50:50.686.

dcs.log.old DxDiag.txt

• ED Team

Hi,

welcome to the forum and thanks for the report. 

Can I check your windows and all drivers are up to date, we have seen some crashes with outdated OS and drivers. 

thanks

edit: moved to crash 

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

As you can see I'm getting an error on one of the security updates: KB5001330.

They seem to be security connected.

I've not had any other DCS crashes apart from the ordinance drop from the Hornet and specifically the weapons stated above.

More details of the KB5001330 update:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/topic/april-13-2021-kb5001330-os-builds-19041-928-and-19042-928-cead30cd-f284-4115-a42f-d67fec538490

https://www.catalog.update.microsoft.com/ScopedViewInline.aspx?updateid=3dbb1426-3e2c-42ff-980f-1f4456c0d687#Overview

Screenshot 2021-04-27 130010.png

Screenshot 2021-04-27 130053.png

PS: Thank you for the warm welcome! I've been a long time lurker though

Edited by Inanity

• ED Team

I had a similar issue with windows updates recently and had to do a fresh OS install but keeping files. 

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

So after a full clean reinstallation of windows and running the latest windows 10 updates the same crash occurred for GBU-12s

See attached for windows update status and dcs.log and track.

Updated details:

• Running on Nevada (Multiplayer on dedicated server)
  • No mods

Screenshot 2021-04-30 202143.png

dcs.log

JTAC_Airport_Nellis-20210430-190850.trk

Edited by Inanity
Added additional attachments

• ED Team

thanks for the track, I am unable to reproduce however. 

I will ask other testers to try also 

thanks

5 minutes ago, Cpt. Weber said:

Same happened to me just now, only on Nevada. Track file is too big (17 mb) and can't upload. I was dropping LGBs on Persian Gulf in SP with no issues. Multiplayer session on Nevada - game froze on GBU-12 launch.

Do you happen to have a dcs.log you can attach?

I've had this happen to me on both Nevada and Persian Gulf.

• 2 weeks later...

I had similar type of crash. GBU16, manual code of 1622, adjusted waypoint via HSI and did WPDSG. Set to auto mode, set to DLY1 on multiplayer in Syria map. Watched the bomb fall line come down press and held weapon release. immediate crash.

• ED Team

please continue to add your crash zip folders after the crash 

thanks

• 3 weeks later...

On the Syrian Map, I had a DCS freeze (monitor says "waiting") upon immediately releasing my GBU-12.  Flying MP with two of my flight mates in VR.  The only way to exit was through the "Alt Ctrl Delete".  Even my ESC key on my keyboard would not work.  I attached the only DCS.log I see for this date.

Does anybody see anything of interest...Thanks

dcs.log

On 6/2/2021 at 8:53 PM, Drac said:

On the Syrian Map, I had a DCS freeze (monitor says "waiting") upon immediately releasing my GBU-12.  Flying MP with two of my flight mates in VR.  The only way to exit was through the "Alt Ctrl Delete".  Even my ESC key on my keyboard would not work.  I attached the only DCS.log I see for this date.

Does anybody see anything of interest...Thanks

dcs.log 387.05 kB · 7 downloads

I see 7 downloads.  Has anybody seen anything here?

Thanks

I didn't. The last event is related to AGM-154:

2021-06-02 15:46:17.640 INFO    Scripting: event:type=shot,initiatorPilotName=Dispatcher,t=8131.067,weapon=AGM-154A,initiatorMissionID=71,

I'd like to try and reproduce this bug, but I haven't used my Hornet module yet. 😐

Don't accept indie game testing requests from friends in Discord. Ever.

5 hours ago, Flappie said:

I didn't. The last event is related to AGM-154:

2021-06-02 15:46:17.640 INFO    Scripting: event:type=shot,initiatorPilotName=Dispatcher,t=8131.067,weapon=AGM-154A,initiatorMissionID=71,

I'd like to try and reproduce this bug, but I haven't used my Hornet module yet. 😐

For clarification, does it appear the AGM -154A could have caused the "Waiting".  Dispatcher did have a -154A enroute to target when I released my GBU-12. Thanks

I simply meant nothing obvious shows up in the log before the freeze. This bug might be tough to replicate. We need to find the common pattern leading to the crash. Loadout, time of day, map, target... you name it.

I'll add these other threads here, since it contains your previous logs and some others'.

It's only happening in AUTO mode, right?

It seems only some people are having this. It could be caused by a mod. Do you use any mod other than the usual SRS, Tacview, and Vaicom?

Edited by Flappie

I've just tested it a few times, and I cannot reproduce the freeze so far. Params were:

• Dedicated server
  • Caucasus map
  • GBU-12@1688
  • FUZE : INST
  • Auto-lase with LITENING pod
  • Altitude = 8000 feet

You say "no mods", yet I see this on your log:

WARNING EDCORE: Source C:\Users\kwr36\Saved Games\DCS.openbeta\Mods/tech/US Navy Equipment/

Could you please disable this mod and try to reproduce the GBU-12 freeze?

Edited by Flappie

20 hours ago, Flappie said:

I've just tested it a few times, and I cannot reproduce the freeze so far. Params were:

• Dedicated server
  • Caucasus map
  • GBU-12@1688
  • Altitude = 8000 feet

WARNING EDCORE: Source C:\Users\kwr36\Saved Games\DCS.openbeta\Mods/tech/US Navy Equipment/

Not sure how to remove this Mod...have to research.  I recall over a year ago, this Mod was required to play a particular mission.  Thanks for pointing this out.  My parameters are as follows:

*User made mission...I'm Hosting

* Syrian Map

* GBU-12@1688

*Fuze: INST

*Altitude = Approx 18000 feet

*Auto-Lase with ATFLIR

If I recall, it seems to happen when I have double rack on both, either the inner or outer stations.  Also, I was carrying a centerline fuel tank, 9Xs on wingtips,  -120 on right cheek. 

Anyway, I will remove this Mod and see what happens.

Thanks...

Edit:  Never have a problem in SP...only when playing in MP.

Edited by Drac

On 6/5/2021 at 10:39 PM, Flappie said:

• Dedicated server
  • Caucasus map
  • GBU-12@1688
  • Altitude = 8000 feet

Just for clarification I've ran into this issue without any mods installed.

It seems like the chance of the freeze occurring increases the longer you stay in game. The numerous times it occurred to me was after an hour of orbit before weapon release. 

Edited by Inanity

1 hour ago, Flappie said:

Thanks for the insight, guys. I'll test this in an SP mission (SP time acceleration is very useful to quickly test this kind of things in DCS).

Just for information, all my long flights are multiplayer.  I have never done a single player over a long period of flight.