After Clouds, What Next

C3PO

Hi,

After the huge success of the new clouds, I’m aware that this year we may see weather systems properly implemented into DCS. I was wondering if there was any more detail surrounding that - will we get proper “squall” type scenarios in thick heavy clouds, full buffeting etc...? Whatever is coming, I cannot wait.

Now: Water-cooled Ryzen 5800X + 32GB DDR 4 3200 RAM + EVGA 3090 FTW3 Ultra 24 GB + Reverb G2 + Add-on PCI-e 3.1 card + 2x1TB Corsair M.2 4900/4200 + TM HOTAS Warthog + TM TPR Pendular Rudder  'Engaged Defensive' YouTube Channel

Modules: F/A-18C / AV-8B / F-16 / F-15E / F-4E (when it lands) / Persian Gulf / Syria / Nevada / Sinai / South Atlantic

Backup: Water-cooled i7 6700K @ 4.5GHz + 32GB DDR4 3200MHz + GTX 1080 8GB + 1TB M.2 1k drive & 250GB SSD drive 500MBps 4K 40" monitor + TrackIR 5

To add to your point, it would be good to hear about the major cloud enhancements still to come and their development order - or even timescales if at all possible.

I am keen to know roughly where in the priority order blocking of AI vision by clouds is. It's fundamental to dogfighting and surprising AA defences (especially for WW2) so I'd like to know if we can expect it in the short term or long term, just to manage my expectations.

PC specs:

8 hours ago, bell_rj said:

To add to your point, it would be good to hear about the major cloud enhancements still to come and their development order - or even timescales if at all possible.

I am keen to know roughly where in the priority order blocking of AI vision by clouds is. It's fundamental to dogfighting and surprising AA defences (especially for WW2) so I'd like to know if we can expect it in the short term or long term, just to manage my expectations.

I hope they don't roll it out until the AI knows how to deal with it. This may not matter for immobile AAA defense units, but for airborne AI units its not enough to just block their vision through clouds. You need to change the way they approach engagements when clouds present potential challenges and opportunities, just as they affect the way human pilots fly against each other now that clouds are coordinated in MP. In other words, the technical challenges likely involve more than just making sure AI units can't see through clouds.

That said, my experience so far flying missions against airborne AI enemies is that the clouds give them a real advantage. In missions where the AI is hidden by clouds, they know exactly where I am, have full SA, but I'm lucky if I can find them.

I'm Softball on Multiplayer. NZXT Player Three Prime, i9-13900K@3.00GHz, 64GB DDR5, Win 11 Home, Nvidia GeForce RTX 4090 24GB, TrackIR 5, VKB Gunfighter III with MCG Ultimate grip, VKB STECS Standard Throttle, CH Pro pedals

22 hours ago, C3PO said:

Hi,

After the huge success of the new clouds...

You obviously don't fly VR 😅

I hope ED will first concentrate on fixing the current clouds for VR users, before moving on (or amplifying resources) on other features 😉

• Like 2

System specs:

i7-8700K @stock speed - GTX 1080TI @ stock speed - AsRock Extreme4 Z370 - 32GB DDR4 @3GHz- 500GB SSD - 2TB nvme - 650W PSU

HP Reverb G1 v2 - Saitek Pro pedals - TM Warthog HOTAS - TM F/A-18 Grip - TM Cougar HOTAS (NN-Dan mod) & (throttle standalone mod) - VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Plus with ALPHA-L grip - Pointctrl & aux banks <-- must have for VR users!! - Andre's SimShaker Jetpad - Fully adjustable DIY playseat - VA+VAICOM

~ That nuke might not have been the best of ideas, Sir... the enemy is furious ~ GUMMBAH

Sure - understand the clouds are a bit iffy in VR...

Now: Water-cooled Ryzen 5800X + 32GB DDR 4 3200 RAM + EVGA 3090 FTW3 Ultra 24 GB + Reverb G2 + Add-on PCI-e 3.1 card + 2x1TB Corsair M.2 4900/4200 + TM HOTAS Warthog + TM TPR Pendular Rudder  'Engaged Defensive' YouTube Channel

Modules: F/A-18C / AV-8B / F-16 / F-15E / F-4E (when it lands) / Persian Gulf / Syria / Nevada / Sinai / South Atlantic

Backup: Water-cooled i7 6700K @ 4.5GHz + 32GB DDR4 3200MHz + GTX 1080 8GB + 1TB M.2 1k drive & 250GB SSD drive 500MBps 4K 40" monitor + TrackIR 5