How to rename the USB device name after a new DCS install?

RTS354

I plan on moving DCS to another computer, and I don't want to have to remap the joystick buttons. Since this will be a new computer, the USB ID will be different. Is there a way to change the USB ID using the VKB software. I managed to find the USB ID in the registry, but there are too many instances of the ID to change it manually on the new computer. The Virpil software allows you to edit the USB ID within the configuration software, but I cannot find away to do this with the VKB Sim software.

AFAIK there isn't one.

I'm also suprised Windows allows Virpil to change IDs as I'd be surprised if it's not breaking intellectual property laws (by for instance making it possible to use TARGET)

Unless its changed all you need to do is change the IDs inside the C:\Users\Your Name\Saved Games\DCS.openbeta\Config\Input.

Back up the Input folder first of course

Go into each of the individual aircraft folders and change the filename of the lua file in the joystick subfolder (which contains the ID) to the new ID for the device and you should be good to go

Test it on one module first to check but that's the way I've done it in the past and it's been fine.

A little bit of a pain if you have a lot of modules, but probably take less than 15 minutes to accomplish

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Weegie said:

I'm also suprised Windows allows Virpil to change IDs as I'd be surprised if it's not breaking intellectual property laws (by for instance making it possible to use TARGET)

Shut up Weegie!   Don't give them the idea it could be illegal or they might remove that nice option.

Win11 Pro 64-bit, Ryzen 5800X3D, Corsair H115i, Gigabyte X570S UD, EVGA 3080Ti XC3 Ultra 12GB, 64 GB DDR4 G.Skill 3600. Monitors: LG 27GL850-B27 2560x1440 + Samsung SyncMaster 2443 1920x1200, HOTAS: Warthog with Virpil WarBRD base, MFG Crosswind combat pedals, TrackIR4, Rift-S.

Personal Wish List: A6 Intruder, Vietnam theater, decent ATC module, better VR performance!

If you save the current stick profiles, you can drop them into a new install. Whenever you fly a plane for the first time, you load your current profile with the saved profile. This also works if you for any reason have multiple sticks of the same type. DCS will create a separate profile for each one, but as long as you have one good profile of exactly the same type of stick, you can load the good profile to instantly map a new stick.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]