New with VR

ge349074

Hi to all, i like flight sims, my computer is a i9 with a AORUS ultra g2 edition motherboard, 32 gb memory, samsung ssd 500g and 1t drives; i want to move to vr, what do i need or which vr and graphic card i need. right now i got a old 580 card. Thanks for any help!!

6 minutes ago, ge349074 said:

Hi to all, i like flight sims, my computer is a i9 with a AORUS ultra g2 edition motherboard, 32 gb memory, samsung ssd 500g and 1t drives; i want to move to vr, what do i need or which vr and graphic card i need. right now i got a old 580 card. Thanks for any help!!

IMHO you have three main options for a VR. 

The discontinued Facebook Rift S that is dedicated PC VR headset.

The Facebook Quest 2 that is as well mobile but you can wire it (and now use wirelessly) to PC be used as dedicated PC VR. 

The HP Reverb G2 might be the best option as price and quality now, a dedicated PC VR. 

To match these for a good performance, I would go for a Nvidia 3060 or maybe 2070 on older side for those depending your exactly CPU. 

(Don't know anythin about AMD side...)

You are looking pretty heavy price range for the HP reverb as it is about 700-800 now, compared to Quest 2 that does it for about 350.

I would start definitely with the Quest 2 IF YOU ARE OKAY FOR FACEBOOK ACCOUNT!

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

I agree with Fri12. I run a G2 and a 1080ti and it's awesome with a lot of tuning.

Quest 2 with 1080ti would be very good. You can get a 1080ti cheap on Ebay. 

G2 with a better card would be even better, but it's a hell of a cost.

Matt

ASUS Z390 / Intel i7-9700K / 32 GB DDR4 / 1080Ti / HP Reverb 2 / Thrustmaster WH&TPR

Heath and Allen Zedi8 / TrackIR / Momo USB monitor / Akai MPD218

Avoid Rift S in my honest opinion. If youre from EU, i would sell you mine with discount gladly:-)

Ryzen 7 2700X | MSI Trio 1080Ti | MSI X470 Plus Motherboard | 32GB Kingston HyperX Predator 2933 DDR4 | M.2 XPG GAMMIX S11 Pro SSD | Virpil Mongoost-50 throttle | Thrustmaster Warthog Stick | MFG Crosswind | Rift S

I'm running a Laptop with a mobile 5800H, RTX3070 and 16GB DDR4 RAM. Runs it all fine, although upgrading to 32GB RAM shortly. I have the Quest 2 which is excellent.

The recommendation for a desktop 3060 or 2070 sounds like a good recommendation to me.

One word of caution is to think about your control interfaces before you buy because you will be blind to your laptop and HOTAS in VR.

Also MFDs can be a little hard to see by just a quick glance down at them, but it's well worth it for the incredible immersion it offers.

6 hours ago, ge349074 said:

Thanks to all for the respond, yes i'm from Puerto Rico, US. i got all my parts from New.... website;  is this the vr you guys are talking about?

Oculus Quest 64GB VR Headset

No, Oculus Quest 2

As for the GPU, you will be fine with a 1080Ti  (It is what I use + Rift S) but if you can get a more powerful card then go for that. 

I wouldn't recommend a Quest2 with a GPU lower than 20 series or 30 series. Q2 needs encoding to send through link and this requires additional GPU power. 20 series + has these encoders built in (for streaming mainly). 10 series do not and suffer with performance. A HP G2 (or other normal PCVR) is a better bet for 10 series cards.

• 1 month later...

WHAT VR WORKS BEST WITH THIS?

Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
CPU
    AMD Ryzen 9 3950X    
    Matisse 7nm Technology
        Liquid CPU Cooling 6 Fans
RAM
    64.0GB Dual-Channel 3400MHz (15-15-15-36)
          Micro-Star International Co. Ltd. 
        MPG X570 GAMING EDGE WIFI (MS-7C37) (AM4)
Graphic
    LG QHD (2560x1440@59Hz) 34"
    8176MB ATI AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT (XFX Pine Group)
Storage
    931GB Samsung SSD 970 EVO 1TB (M2 (SSD))
        465GB Samsung SSD 860 EVO 500GB (SATA (SSD))    
    1953GB SSD

Sound    AMD High Definition Audio Device

WHAT VR WORKS BEST WITH THIS?

Edited by StElmosFire

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/23/2021 at 3:16 PM, StElmosFire said:

Bought a Vive Pro 2, valve controllers. Now if I can find out how to get DCS started !

Just a simple little line ... ohh how I get myself in trouble.

Day 1: got it all assembled, really neat glass poles holding the 2.0 base stations, you must  have 2.0, 1.0 will not work with Vive Pro 2.

Link box and cables a piece of cake. Fire it up and here I am in a strange "Home" room. I do figure out how to do the kids tutorial but how about finding a way to get into good ole DCS. I wrestle around and get my PC Desktop showing on the HMD headset. Yep, this must be the way they do it! there is DCS ready to go in Steam so I click on it and I know it is VR ready 'cause it has that  VR header.

Yikes "What in the hell is this mess on my HMD display". Not the way to do it. OK, I'm out of time so off to bed at 2359.

Day 2:  Stayed in bed 'till 0900 avoiding VR. Back at it at noon, I fire it up and Yikes , the Home room is upside down with a floor for a ceiling and all text is backwards like the picture is reversed.

I fight that monster for hours and it is  a "no go" for fixing it. I have tried every trick I know, reinstalling steam twice and Vive also, now thinking of the hassle of boxing all this junk up and sending it back to the three dealers I got it from. Finally I decide to uninstall all software and drivers, take it all apart and restart my computer. Then I get the bare-bones instructions out and followed them exactly again and yippee, the Home room is back and the hardwood floor is on the bottom. Then I fool around with Steam and find it has a VR DCS in it but it is a very large program and will take hours to download and install. OK, install it so I start the download and head back to bed at 0300.

Day 3. I stay in until 1000 and get some breakfast very late ... damn good thing I'm really finally retired (on May 24th after 65 years of flying).

About 1230 I get the urge to look at it and there is DCS in Steam so something is going right. Well maybe not, it only has the two free planes and I bought $700 worth of at the Christmas sale. So I fly the P-51 after I figure out how I don't need the controllers and use my Warthog stick and mouse.

WOW, This thing is so great I can feel the motion. It is like flying a real Mustang and I have Mustang time. Three good startups, takeoff and landings feel like the real thing. The Mustang has a semi-active cockpit so I can use my mouse on some knobs and switches. Next I do the SU-25 and the cockpit seems to not have anything I can do the mouse with except I can get a weird cursor up that will not do anything so I just bind all the controls I can and fly it. .... not bad except the labels are harder to read than my sharper PC Monitor. Funny though, it is easier to fly and land and the terrain is more natural. The airports are easier to spot from longer distance. I found a VR zoom that lets me zoom in on switches, knobs and instruments so I can read them.

My question:  is there anyway I can use the planes I bought on DCS 2D and use them here on Steam 3D?

You normally don't need to start DCS via Steam...if you got the stand-alone version. If so, just start DCS, go to the VR tab in the options and tick use VR or something like that. DCS should re-boot now and also will start the steam VR gadget, which you still need.

I assume you got all your modules in the stand-alone version functioning, so they will work also in VR. I wouldn't recommend going to steam with all that DCS stuff but stay stand alone and do the starting from there.

On 4/26/2021 at 10:52 AM, InfinityWingman said:

I agree with Fri12. I run a G2 and a 1080ti and it's awesome with a lot of tuning.

Quest 2 with 1080ti would be very good. You can get a 1080ti cheap on Ebay. 

G2 with a better card would be even better, but it's a hell of a cost.

Matt

Hi Matt, Gabby here, I sprung for the Vive Pro 2 and am getting started. Pissed about all the startup hassle at first but mostly my self induced pain. Now that I am up and operating I would like to inquire "after a bit of tuning". What tuning?

At first I was ready to box it up and ship it back. Now you couldn't drag it away.

Edited by StElmosFire
sp correct

18 hours ago, Lt_Jaeger said:

You normally don't need to start DCS via Steam...if you got the stand-alone version. If so, just start DCS, go to the VR tab in the options and tick use VR or something like that. DCS should re-boot now and also will start the steam VR gadget, which you still need.

I assume you got all your modules in the stand-alone version functioning, so they will work also in VR. I wouldn't recommend going to steam with all that DCS stuff but stay stand alone and do the starting from there.

Exactly right Lt_Jaeger I checked USE Virtual Reality Headset and use mouse. DCS rebooted, started Steam and Vive. It all works great so I flew the

P-51 all day .... what a blast!  Thank you so much!

On 6/25/2021 at 12:02 PM, StElmosFire said:

Hi Matt, Gabby here, I sprung for the Vive Pro 2 and am getting started. Pissed about all the startup hassle at first but mostly my self induced pain. Now that I am up and operating I would like to inquire "after a bit of tuning". What tuning?

At first I was ready to box it up and ship it back. Now you couldn't drag it away.

This is a good resource for tuning. 

https://vr4dcs.com/2019/08/03/tuning-videos-diy/

ASUS Z390 / Intel i7-9700K / 32 GB DDR4 / 1080Ti / HP Reverb 2 / Thrustmaster WH&TPR

Heath and Allen Zedi8 / TrackIR / Momo USB monitor / Akai MPD218

Tuning tips. Tune to a simple recorded trackfile, maybe some low flying over trees and buildings, possibly a take off. Add a few clouds. Keep it the same and you can see what's happening. Keep DCS settings low initially, work on settings outside DCS first then tune DCS last. You will likely need to refine things at later stage. Its a process, and a pain. Try to change just one or two things at a time so you really understand what they are doing.