Anyone use mini joystick to scan targets in MFD?

Hi guys,

I do play with the A10 / F16 a lot these days and one thing I hate is to uses keys on the hotas to move the camera in the MFD while scanning for target. I would like to use to kind of mini joystick to do so. I am fine from removing my hand from the throttle to do so.

Any of you do it this way? And if yes, please share what you are using.

I use the mini-stick that my HOTAS has on the Throttle, it works fairly well ... here is a short video while I was tuning the axes curves to get smoother operation:

• Like 1

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

What kind of throttle do you use? Most top tier equipment has a dedicated switch for these things.
@Rudel_chw is using a Thrustmaster Cougar TQS (like me), and I also have other Thrustmaster throttles with a similar sensor slew.
A better question might be what kind of hardware you have. If one doesn't have hardware with an analog slew, hats (8 way), can be a pretty good alternative.
Cheers!

Sent from my MAR-LX1A using Tapatalk

I was previously using the slew nub on a warthog throttle, (went through two of the things) now I use the mini-stick on my Virpil T-50cm3, which imo, while pricey, is the best consumer throttle on the market right now without even considering that each button can have 5 different shift states toggled by a physical dial on the unit.  

You rig an xbox controller nearby and use that if you wanted to, it would probably behave very similar to the mini-stick on my T-50cm3.   I also have a Logitech G13 but they have been discontinued for a long time, and where you could previously get them for like $90 or less while in production, they aren't worth shopping for refurbs or used as the prices are jacked way up.  It has an analogue thumbstick, which I honestly disable the drivers for to limit the amount of input devices on my system.  I'm still able to assign that to keypresses however, and if I didn't have the mini-stick on my throttle, I could easily assign the up, down, left, and right keys to it and bind those to the TDC slew in any jet and it would be usable.   In fact it's easier to setup key commands or button presses and get a smooth functional tdc cursor than two axes.    Some jets I don't have to do anything but assign the axes and invert the y axis.  Some jets (mostly FC3 aircraft) I have to adjust the y-saturation to keep the cursor from being too fast.

You could even get a cheap logitech extreme 3d pro and set it up next to your throttle and use that or the hatswitch on it. 

Or, if you have one, use a spare hat switch on the stick or throttle.   Don't forget DCS allows you to assign buttons to modifiers.   So you could make the primary function of a given hatswitch TDC Slew, and then assign a button than when held causes that hatswitch to control something else.  

I love the slew stick on my throttle, especially coming from the little nub on the Warthog, but,  if I weren't willing to spend the kind of money I have on my setup, I could get used to a hatswitch and using modifiers.  

That being said.. one of the biggest benefits from my first usage of say the F-16C stick that comes with the WH, or even my new MCGU which has even more hat switches and buttons + a brake lever,  was having more buttons to use for useful stuff.  It's quite a bit more intuitive imo to not need modifiers. 

On the more budget friendly side of things, CH Products offers an F-16 style stick (with the CMS switch, not the one with the red button) that has two less buttons than the Warthog or TM Cougar stick.   Their throttle is a little lackluster but, it does have a little slew nub on it, and quite a few hat switches to work with.    And their rudder pedals, while fugly imo, by most accounts, will do the job and last quite a long time. 

Unfortunately I don't think CH's stickhas a twist axis, so you'd probably want a set of pedals with a setup like that.  There is the Logitech/Saitek x55/x56, many people have used and enjoyed that would cover most of your button and slewing needs in DCS as well.    I had an X52 Pro for a couple years.. mine didn't hold up, which led me higher quality designs.   On the other hand.. the inexpensive Extreme 3d Pro, while not offering much in the way of buttons is a killer stick that for $40, is cheap enough to easily replace if something goes wrong.  

Edited by Headwarp
  • Like 1
Spoiler

Win 11 Pro, z790 i9 13900k, RTX 4090 , 64GB DDR 6400GB, OS and DCS are on separate pci-e 4.0 drives 

Sim hardware - VKB MCG Ultimate with 200mm extension, Virpil T-50CM3 Dual throttles.   Blackhog B-explorer (A), TM Cougar MFD's (two), MFG Crosswinds with dampener.   Obutto R3volution gaming pit.  

Thanks for the detailed answer Headwarp! I am using the Warthog right now but for some reason I hate using the SLEW with it. I have a PS4 controller that I do not use around. I will see if I could use it and maybe even disassemble it and fix the mini joystick somewhere!

Thanks for the input guys.

On 4/28/2021 at 11:02 PM, Frag said:

Thanks for the detailed answer Headwarp! I am using the Warthog right now but for some reason I hate using the SLEW with it. I have a PS4 controller that I do not use around. I will see if I could use it and maybe even disassemble it and fix the mini joystick somewhere!

Thanks for the input guys.

The deltasim mod mentioned above me would definitely make things a lot easier than that slew nub. 

But, honestly I used the slew nub on the WH for years without much issues.  The T-50cm3 ministick is a huge upgrade, but I likely wouldn't have it if my 2nd WH didn't brick.     I used to lower the y saturation on the x and y axis to like 15 or less to get it at a comfortable speed in certain aircraft.   Other aircraft didn't need so much.    

Seeing as it did brick though and experiencing the T-50cm3's ministick.. I will say if you're comfortable doing a little DIY the DeltaSim mod for the warthog throttle would instantly feel better once you got it working.  

It's a solderless job, but you should still be careful with the connectors Thrustmaster used on their PCBs.  Pull too hard you'll bend the pins or shred the plastic connectors.  

Edited by Headwarp
  • Thanks 1
Spoiler

Win 11 Pro, z790 i9 13900k, RTX 4090 , 64GB DDR 6400GB, OS and DCS are on separate pci-e 4.0 drives 

Sim hardware - VKB MCG Ultimate with 200mm extension, Virpil T-50CM3 Dual throttles.   Blackhog B-explorer (A), TM Cougar MFD's (two), MFG Crosswinds with dampener.   Obutto R3volution gaming pit.  

On 4/29/2021 at 12:58 AM, crash test pilot said:

Have you heard of the deltaalphlima mod for the warthog throttle? It replaces the much hated slew-nubbin with an analog joystick. Its not really expensive, easy to install and works like a charm!

https://deltasimelectronics.com/products/thumbstick-slew-sensor-adapter

6 hours ago, Headwarp said:

The deltasim mod mentioned above me would definitely make things a lot easier than that slew nub. 

But, honestly I used the slew nub on the WH for years without much issues.  The T-50cm3 ministick is a huge upgrade, but I likely wouldn't have it if my 2nd WH didn't brick.     I used to lower the y saturation on the x and y axis to like 15 or less to get it at a comfortable speed in certain aircraft.   Other aircraft didn't need so much.    

Seeing as it did brick though and experiencing the T-50cm3's ministick.. I will say if you're comfortable doing a little DIY the DeltaSim mod for the warthog throttle would instantly feel better once you got it working.  

It's a solderless job, but you should still be careful with the connectors Thrustmaster used on their PCBs.  Pull too hard you'll bend the pins or shred the plastic connectors.  

You guys are awesome, this is exactly the kind of information I was looking for. Thumbs up!!!!

• Like 1

I had planned on getting the Delta Sim mod for the Warthog throttle for some time but kept putting it off.

Then Virpil came out with their new CM3 throttle with detents so I just had to grab one. It has a pretty slick mini stick.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

22 minutes ago, dburne said:

I had planned on getting the Delta Sim mod for the Warthog throttle for some time but kept putting it off.

Then Virpil came out with their new CM3 throttle with detents so I just had to grab one. It has a pretty slick mini stick.

Wanted to buy it at some point but that thing was unavailable for so long that getting a date with Mila Kunis was simpler than buying one of these thing. Are they easier to get now?

Edited by Frag

6 minutes ago, Frag said:

Wanted to buy it at some point but that thing was unavailable for so long that getting a date with Mila Kunis was simpler than buying one of these thing. Are they easier to get now?

The CM3 throttle?
Yeah they always show as a back order, they have a new ordering process and that is what it will always show.

You place the order which gets you in line for one.

From what I am seeing lead time is around 4-6 weeks. 

They do not charge your card for it until about a week before shipping.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

22 hours ago, Frag said:

I ordered mine on March 3rd.   They billed me on the 10th.  I received it by the 8th.  Literally two weeks.. they told me it would be 5-6 weeks when I asked them on Facebook.

I almost wonder if I got someone's return.   Still.. well worth the wait.    At the same time.. if WH throttle #2 hadn't bricked I'd probably still be using it.   Afaik the delta sim mod is solderless as well, and significantly less expensive if that's a factor for you.  Probably will be some hotglue you have to carefully remove.  Don't try to pull out plastic connectors with your finger tips.. use a flathead.    The stick will be a huge upgrade from the slew nub.

Back before Milan at MFG upped his overall production for his rudder pedals I waited 6 months for him to fufil my order.   Was worth it.    Of course these day's he keeps himself stocked. 

Or of course.. just lower y saturation on both axes for that warthog slew nub.   I was fine that way for years.   Doesn't stop the virpil ministick from feeling leagues better.  But.. I made the slew nub work.  

Edited by Headwarp
  • Like 2
Spoiler

On 5/1/2021 at 8:18 AM, Headwarp said:

I ordered mine on March 3rd.   They billed me on the 10th.  I received it by the 8th.  Literally two weeks.. they told me it would be 5-6 weeks when I asked them on Facebook.

I almost wonder if I got someone's return.   Still.. well worth the wait.    At the same time.. if WH throttle #2 hadn't bricked I'd probably still be using it.   Afaik the delta sim mod is solderless as well, and significantly less expensive if that's a factor for you.  Probably will be some hotglue you have to carefully remove.  Don't try to pull out plastic connectors with your finger tips.. use a flathead.    The stick will be a huge upgrade from the slew nub.

Back before Milan at MFG upped his overall production for his rudder pedals I waited 6 months for him to fufil my order.   Was worth it.    Of course these day's he keeps himself stocked. 

Or of course.. just lower y saturation on both axes for that warthog slew nub.   I was fine that way for years.   Doesn't stop the virpil ministick from feeling leagues better.  But.. I made the slew nub work.  

Good to know that we can get these Virpil in a reasonable amount of time now. I have to say that the low availability made me go with the Warthog. I am ok waiting 2-3 weeks ... but 3-4 months was another story.