Possible CPU frametime spikes correlating with SRS and the export.lua

ShaunOfTheFuzz

Hi folks, just wondering if anyone else with SRS installed is having regular frametime stutters (every 1-2 seconds or so). I commented out the SRS entry in export.lua and my DCS went back to being smooth as silk. I think this might be the source of where a lot of people are seeing their stuttering performance improve by renaming their saved game folder (basically removing the export.lua). I've also tried deleting the overlay file to make sure that was the issue, but it made no difference.

I initially thought that my issue might be viacompro, but I can leave viacompro enabled without any issues so long as SRS is disabled.

it would be great to narrow down the issue as I don't think MP would be nearly as good without SRS.

Edit: I just noticed that everytime I press the ptt button to engage viacompro, I drop 5 frames for an instant and my lua frametime jumps briefly. Looks like I have serious problems with DCS export.lua

Edited by ShaunOfTheFuzz
Extra info

i havent noticed it but i will have a look later today! have you tried deleting export.lua, it should get recreated ?

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero
SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 11, VoiceAttack & VAICOM PRO

1569924735_WildcardsBadgerFAASig.jpg.dbb8c2a337e37c2bfb12855f86d70fd5.jpg

3 minutes ago, speed-of-heat said:

i havent noticed it but i will have a look later today! have you tried deleting export.lua, it should get recreated ?

Yes, it always fixes the problem immediately, but if I try using SRS or viacompro then the problem returns. 

It's totally bizarre because I've always used viacompro and srs without issue until 2.7

With SRS the hitches happen continuously, I assume because srs is running passively in the background. With viacom they happen the instant I press the ppt button but only on the initial press.

I had huge problems with my winwing hotas at first when it added polling requests to the export.lua, but never with srs and viacom. 

I'm at a loss.

Edited by ShaunOfTheFuzz

Yes, it always fixes the problem immediately, but if I try using SRS or viacompro then the problem returns. 

It's totally bizarre because I've always used viacompro and srs without issue until 2.7

With SRS the hitches happen continuously, I assume because srs is running passively in the background. With viacom they happen the instant I press the ppt button but only on the initial press.

I had huge problems with my winwing hotas at first when it added polling requests to the export.lua, but never with srs and viacom. 

I'm at a loss.
Using both VAICOM PRO and SRS. No stuttering or issues. And my computer is from 2013.
Maybe check the order in the export.lua?
Cheers!

Sent from my MAR-LX1A using Tapatalk

yep just tested it there is a definite 5ms CPU frame spike just as you press the PTT button or the Channel switch for Viacom/VoiceAttack SRS,  but it is literally there only for the length of the button press activation (which for me is 75ms)

Edited by speed-of-heat
  • Like 1

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero

The actual issue seems to be with either VIACOM or Voice Attack, as having uninstalled SRS the same issue remains

• Like 1

Thanks @MAXsenna , its not like its a "massive" deal , and i wonder if it is from the "squelch" sound on the RT?

19 hours ago, speed-of-heat said:

yep just tested it there is a definite 5ms CPU frame spike just as you press the PTT button or the Channel switch for Viacom/VoiceAttack SRS,  but it is literally there only for the length of the button press activation (which for me is 75ms)

Interesting! I've been tearing my system apart today because nobody else seemed to be able to replicate the issue. In task manager, if I repeatedly press the ptt button for voiceattack, I can actually run my CPU up to 10-12% usage, i.e.: you can "build up" cpu load by activating voiceattack enough times. An individual activation is about 0.8-1.5%

More pressing than the viacom issue though (as you say, it's a single spike when you press the button) is the constant stutter I get when SRS is installed.

It seems that I don't have any headroom at all for lua operations any more on my 3900X and I've tried everything I can to tune it.

so i definitely dont get any "stutters" using SRS beyond the vaicom spike,  or not that i can detect in the data ?

2 hours ago, speed-of-heat said:

so i definitely dont get any "stutters" using SRS beyond the vaicom spike,  or not that i can detect in the data ?

I've just managed to fix it (I think). My CPU performance was just awful in FPSVR, I have no idea what exactly the issue was, but I've been noticing some really up and down performance lately in terms of frametimes, but I rolled back my bios to the version just before resizable bar was brought to Zen 2 and my cpu seems to have it's headroom back in the last mission I played. I have SRS and green frametimes!

The trick now is to see if it stays this way because I've had false dawns before, but hopefully it's OK.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...