Engine spool up at zero throttle with hot start from runway

Caldera

Hey All,

I was wondering if this happens to anyone else?  Maybe it is my set up?

I have my throttle(s) set up so that I have an idle detent.  So that means that both engines go to idle at the detent and then the throttle handle can still move farther aft.  There is about an inch of movement in the throw of the throttles between the detent and full stroke rearward.  This part of the axis is tuned to be at zero output.

If I start a mission hot on the runway. Then both engines will spool up to 65% every single time.  This is with the throttles past the detent.  As soon as I advance the throttle to the detent and just a hair more then both engines immediately go to idle.  At any other time pulling the throttles to or past the detent they always go to idle.

I have checked my throttle output before I have started missions and it is at zero.  So something else is going on?

This is my set up under MISC:

Engine Spool 01.gif

Caldera

Edited by Caldera

I believe that when you start a mission the engine/throttles may be at a pre-defined setting, and will only then 'synch' once you make an input.

I normally start a mission cold, but have noticed if I set a quick training mission beginning in the air I have similar. So I will normally keep my throttles at idle detent, using the keyboard to start the engines. If I start in the air, with my throttles at detent, the engines are at a set speed (not really noticed what it is - possibly around 85 - 90%) but once I advance the levers I can hear them throttle down briefly (as it detects idle) and then back up again to match throttle setting. 

Just checked and when I hot start on the ramp the engines are around 60%, with no audible acceleration. Additionally I have synch cockpit controls unchecked. I selected it - and it made no difference that I could see.

Try setting your throttles up to max before you begin a mission, and then start a mission hot. Note the engine speed, should still be around idle, then slightly nudge the throttles backwards, and I think you will see the engines wind up.

AMD Ryzen 5 5600X; ASUS ROG Strix X570-F, Corsair Vengeance 64 GB (2x 32GB) 3600MHz; Seagate FireCuda 510 500GB M.2-2280 (OS); Samsung 860 EVO 2TB M.2-2280 (DCS); MSI GeForce RTX 3090 SUPRIM X 24GB OC GPU. TM Warthog Hotas; T.Flight Pedals; DelanClip/Trackhat.

Legion,

I fly almost exclusively the A-10C.  Until I nudge my throttle the fan speed on both engines will always go to about 65%. 

Not sure what is up with the so called "Synchronize Feature" as all the other axis controls seem to synchronize just fine with out having to nudge them.  However, these axis are not configured as sliders as the throttles are.  Where the center point is at 50% output at start.

It is almost like for throttles, the axis output always starts at 50% even though they are configured as a sliders.  If you make a small change to the axis output then DCS reconfigures them as sliders.

Caldera

If I do a hot start I always apply wheel brake, move the throttle forward and bring it back to zero. I agree @Leg2ion that the various axes are wonky at beginning. Before take off with any plane, I check the stick throttle and rudder each time like you can see on real world carrier launch videos.

AKA_SilverDevil AKA Forums My YouTube

“It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.” — Mark Twain