Wake turbulences in the Hornet

84-Simba

Hi guys !

I've been learning the Hornet for a couple of weeks now and one thing that I always find weird compared to other modules is the intensity of the wake wash.

Flying in close formation with another Hornet is quite bumpy and the AAR is even harder.

The Hornet is not really difficult to refuel though, especially coming from the Tomcat.

But I always get a severe roll inward (right when I'm on the left hose, left when I'm on the right hose)

KC135MPRS is really severe while the KC130 is a bit easier (due to speed I believe)

Trimming ... well, you can ease the pain with trim but if you move a little bit off the wake, it bites back.

In a general manner, it requires quite some input on the stick to counter that roll.

Though, nothing that prevent AAR.

Is that supposed to be realistic ?

Is the Hornet touchy IRL, or does the DCS version over-react to wake ?

Or ... are the other modules like Mirage and Tomcat too easy on that matter ?

It sounds like you're too high.  Notice where the basket extends to and how low it is compared to the wing tip and fuselage and try to keep it there.  Visually, split the mprs pod with the top edge of the aft hud glass, and that will keep you out of the wingtip vortices.  I'm not an IRL Hornet guy (AF FTW), but I can tell you that wake turbulence is no fun to be in.  If the size difference between the aircraft is great enough, you won't be able to control your jet.  Even if the aircraft are the same type, if you're in the wrong spot it could still be uncontrollable.

• Like 1

To me, and Im no expert, the wake seems to radially propagate a bit too quickly from an aircraft, especially in close.

After I started flying with wake, my formation-flying changed a lot. There isn't much of those 3-feet-of-seperation-flying 😛 and following on-tail. Low and off to the side is more the norm; a little bit boring, but it works 😛 

First become an aviator, then become a terminator

17 hours ago, Chain_1 said:

It sounds like you're too high.  Notice where the basket extends to and how low it is compared to the wing tip and fuselage and try to keep it there.  Visually, split the mprs pod with the top edge of the aft hud glass, and that will keep you out of the wingtip vortices.  I'm not an IRL Hornet guy (AF FTW), but I can tell you that wake turbulence is no fun to be in.  If the size difference between the aircraft is great enough, you won't be able to control your jet.  Even if the aircraft are the same type, if you're in the wrong spot it could still be uncontrollable.

Indeed, what I always did is getting the basket and going a little bit forward and up to give the hose some slack.

Maybe I go too far.

I'll try to stay just about the initial basket position and see how it behaves.

Now when flying in close formation with another Hornet you cannot go below your lead wing level, the wash is quite strong.

If you stay above, it's okay.

Note that I don't mind changing my approach if it is needed.

I've been doing things pretty much the same way across different modules, Mirage and Tomcat mostly, and always had quick and consistent results.

(All you need to get is visual cues and the majority of the work is done)

What I do want to know though is if the Hornet is not properly modelized in DCS in that matter OR the other modules are too forgiving OR the Hornet is IRL a plane very sensitive to wake wash.

Maybe we could ask Mr Lemoine what he has to say 🙂

I'm kind of curious as to what position you're holding.  It sounds like you're flying Blue Angel/Thunderbird close.  I have no experience with that.  In normal fingertip, you should have enough horizontal separation to be clear of wingtip vortices.  Stearmandriver is correct though; small aircraft wake turbulence is pretty exaggerated in DCS.

I too believe is overdone, I was landing behind another F18, he was maybe 2nm ahead, he landed, I kept low and flew 100ft, 350kts along the runway on a low run in and break,  as I approached the runway, my aircraft was uncontrollable, flipping upside down, took a bit of effort to avoid the ground. 

I think this video shows that the effect is a bit overdone, or needs some optimising.