If you could have one twin engine german plane which one would it be ? (for 1944-1945)

Blackbird12

If you could have one twin engine german plane which one would it be ? (for 1944-1945)  

75 members have voted

1. 1. Would you like twin engine german plane ? (for 1944-1945)

• Yes
    • No
  2. 2. Which one ?

• Ju-88 A (-4, -17)
    • Ju-88 S (-1, -3)
    • Me-410 (A, B)
    • Bf-110 (G)
    • Ju-188 (A, E)
    • Do-217 (E, K, M)
    • He-177
    • Ju-88 G or C
    • He-111 (late version)
    • Hs-129
    • He-219
    • Ar-234
    • I said no to first question

Vote according on your preferences, not only about ED's capacity to do it, I'm intersted to know which twin engine german plane is the most loved for late war scenario

I love all of them but my favourite one is the Ju-88 S but I know there is little chance to see it, so my second choice is Ju-188, fast, well armed, and can go for torpedo run.

I didn't add the Ju-388 because the bomber version was only on prototype stage, and only a few Do-335 was built and for the 262, we know we will have it in the future 

But don't hesitate to mention other aircraft, or version...

I’d love to have the Me-262 ... and it’s easier to implement as it doesn't require multi-crew.

• Like 10

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

I would image we’ll most likely see a single seat style twin like the Me 110 or Me 410. Other than the systems modelling it’s only a bit of a step up from a single seater, there’s still the gunner station to model that’s like a second mini cockpit but only one. They fit in more with the small maps we have also and tend to be multi role which helps gameplay.

Multi engine, multi crew to DCSW standard would be a massive project. Then there’s the problem that you really need bigger maps for the common realistic mission profiles.

Tricky... stated 1944-45 timeframe would not be good for flying around in a 110...

Ju-88 A4 would be good and probably needs to be in the game...

That said, the most interesting aircraft above has to be the Uhu - small, but sufficient number produced, technically advanced, claimed successful 

Challenge would be how to use it in the daylight dominated DCS World arena

13 hours ago, rkk01 said:

That said, the most interesting aircraft above has to be the Uhu - small, but sufficient number produced, technically advanced, claimed successful 

The He 219 needs its own myth busters episode...

In reality underpowered, high wing loading led to poor manoeuvrability. Structurally weak, rough field operations often caused fuselage failure. The 400+mph figure often quoted is apparently for a stripped out version with no radar fitted. In service examples were good for around 380. Never really had the latest and greatest German electronics, no rear RWR made losses to Mosquito NF intruders common. Cabin in front of the props made conventional bailing out dangerous, the ejection system was unreliable, some crews were killed by the canopy failing to release. Eric Brown flew a couple of examples after the war and found them underpowered with poor manoeuvrability and climb rate, he suggested it didn’t compare well to late war Mosquitos.

The Ju88-G6 meanwhile has everything. The best German electronics, all the toys, some of which were never jammed, rear RWR and a rear gunner as an extra pair of eyes, MW50 boost to 400mph... The only advantage the 219 had over the Ju88 G-6 was speed, it was a bit faster, but in reality not by much...

Edited by Mogster
  • Like 1

51 minutes ago, Mogster said:

The He 219 needs its own myth busters episode...

In reality underpowered, high wing loading led to poor manoeuvrability. Structurally weak, rough field operations often caused fuselage failure. The 400+mph figure often quoted is apparently for a stripped out version with no radar fitted. In service examples were good for around 380. Never really had the latest and greatest German electronics, no rear RWR made losses to Mosquito NF intruders common. Cabin in front of the props made conventional bailing out dangerous, the ejection system was unreliable, some crews were killed by the canopy failing to release. Eric Brown flew a couple of examples after the war and found them underpowered with poor manoeuvrability and climb rate, he suggested it didn’t compare well to late war Mosquitos.

The Ju88-G6 meanwhile has everything. The best German electronics, all the toys, some of which were never jammed, rear RWR and a rear gunner as an extra pair of eyes, MW50 boost to 400mph... The only advantage the 219 had over the Ju88 G-6 was speed, it was a bit faster, but in reality not by much...

I would like to add that the Ju-88 S3 seems to be similar to the G-6 but it's the bomber version, it had GM1 instead of the MW50, glazed nose and can go at 379mph (without bomb load) at 8500m, that's why I love it so much, one of the fastest of Ju-88 serie, maybe it could be a good module, Ju-88 S3/G6 (I would pay 150$) and we already have the engine in the game, Jumo213A, but sadly there is not enough information for both of them I think which is sad, so many planes would be incredible in dcs (not only german plane), but the lack of informations penalize them.

• Like 1

Perhaps the best approach would be to develop a modular series of Ju 88 variants...

Re the Uhu, yes I’ve read Brown’s book and account of it being underpowered and not as good as the Mossie... a pretty tough comparison in itself.  

1 hour ago, rkk01 said:

Perhaps the best approach would be to develop a modular series of Ju 88 variants...

Re the Uhu, yes I’ve read Brown’s book and account of it being underpowered and not as good as the Mossie... a pretty tough comparison in itself.  

I don’t get the impression that the He 219 was a terrible aircraft, it seems it’s crews were relieved they had something that was at least on pace with the Mosquito. However the suggestion that the He 219 was some sort of war winner isn’t based in reality, it had very serious shortcomings. Like the He177 it soaked up some much development time it probably did more damage to the German war effort than the allies. The He 177 and He 219 seem to be the German aircraft that impressed Brown the least, in general he was very impressed by their aircraft, he was a particular fan of the FW creations.

The Ju88 did shoot down Mosquitos as did the Bf110.

On 4/24/2021 at 12:08 PM, Blackbird12 said:

for the 262, we know we will have it in the future

Interesting. Where did you get this info from?

Me262 would be my choice No.1. Ar234 would be nice. Do335 would be nice. My bet: We won't see any German aircraft anytime soon from ED. Nick doesn't like them.

Fox

Spoiler

PC Specs: Ryzen 9 5900X, 3080ti, 64GB RAM, Oculus Quest 3

24 minutes ago, iFoxRomeo said:

Interesting. Where did you get this info from?

Me262 would be my choice No.1. Ar234 would be nice. Do335 would be nice. My bet: We won't see any German aircraft anytime soon from ED. Nick doesn't like them.

Fox

Yes I know, the kickstarter, the roadmap, all of that, the tricky stories about this module, for me it will come but we will wait a loooonnnnnggg time before seeing it 

I do wish that people would stop requesting the less common aircraft, purely because of their performance.  That's the reason we have the mismatch that we already have, i.e. 44' vintage Luftwaffe aircraft, against 42' period Allied aircraft.  

Can I please suggest that we try to deal with the most common aircraft first, such that we have a degree of balance.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

System: 9700, 64GB DDR4, 2070S, NVME2, Rift S, Jetseat, Thrustmaster F18 grip, VPC T50 stick base and throttle, CH Throttle, MFG crosswinds, custom button box, Logitech G502 and Marble mouse.

Server: i5 2500@3.9Ghz, 1080, 24GB DDR3, SSD.

15 minutes ago, Mr_sukebe said:

I do wish that people would stop requesting the less common aircraft, purely because of their performance.  That's the reason we have the mismatch that we already have, i.e. 44' vintage Luftwaffe aircraft, against 42' period Allied aircraft.  

Can I please suggest that we try to deal with the most common aircraft first, such that we have a degree of balance.

Sorry, but you are talking non-sense. An aircraft wish thread is exactly an aircraft wish thread. State the aircraft you wish. To deny someone his/her wish is just pure egoism.

There is no balance in War. Only in -Thunder.

Noone made ED do the aircraft they did by posting it in a wish thread.

It is not a '42 vs. '44 plane set. The P-51D is a '44+ aircraft and in '42 the Spit IX had Merlin 61 engines with +15lbs boost. In '44 the IX had the Merlin 66 with +18lbs boost. I don't think you will find anyone here in the forums who would be against 150 octane fuel and an E wing for the Spit IX. But ED refuses it.

You are fighting against the wrong side. Poke ED that they make better choices. They start the Pacific scenario while Europe is still unfinished in the '44-'45 timeframe.

Fox

• Like 1
Spoiler

57 minutes ago, Mr_sukebe said:

All aircraft in poll were quite common(exept Ar234 maybe) if you consider the state of german twin engine aircraft in 1944, and I think it's good to put them and give them a chance to shine because they couldn't at a 1:10 ratio, we can make scenario that wasn't possible, and for the balance, they were no balance in 1944. The production was diminued and then stopped in favour of fighter, those aircraft were less common not because they were bad performing, had problems with engines or were prototypes but only because they couldn't produce all they wanted.

Yeah, as a wish one can dream. About the models, more or less all of them should be there at some given time, not all of them flyable of course. I guess from an "iconic" standpoint a Me110 is perhaps the most historically necessary, though from a players perspective would be mostly useless against current allied rides. Anyways any of them would be mostly useless against high performance single seat fighters, so that might be dismissed as a reason to want any of them.

S!

"I went into the British Army believing that if you want peace you must prepare for war. I believe now that if you prepare for war, you get war."

-- Major-General Frederick B. Maurice

I know the poll is for twins, but the next German aircraft should be known to all...

FW 190 F8

I think for German twins, the timeline would need to be wound back to 40-42, which would bring in the He 111, Do 17 and Me 110...

Of course we’d also need an Emil / Friedrich, Hurricane and Spit 1a or Vb

Edited by rkk01
  • Like 2

Re: versions of current aircraft - fleshing out the existing planes to several variants of the same aircraft seems like it would be possible without the huge amount of work that starting from scratch on a new airframe entails.

Give us 2 to 4 variants of the existing aircraft. Battle of Britain variants of the Spit and the 109, air-to-air variants of the radial 109 (morph D9 to Ta-152?), Razorback Jugs, B model '51 so we can fly that larger scale Shangri-La model kit we all built as kids, etc. A Korean war '51 (H?) would be good too.

FWIW, I don't mind paying for more variants of the same aircraft - If I already own the MkIX, I'd pay 50% for a MkI and MkV add on for example. Bubble top griffon powered Spits - different engine and more - might be worth considering a totally new module. I'd be ok with that.

Re: perception that Nick doesn't like such and such - does it matter what he personally likes? Mountain out of a mole hill taken out of context I figure. Sure, he might not like flying them or whatever in the real life. But, it's plain as the nose on your face that if ED is going to grow WW2 it needs to get more German planes in the game regardless. With the new clouds and lighting... ED should really work on getting more aircraft in the game quickly as a priority to capitalize on the momentum they've gotten. (see more variants above, see AI the rest below)

Anyway, twin engine German planes - makes sense to have something opposite the Mossie role and something for bomber hunting IMO. BoB bombers and newer. AI the rest. So, two full fidelity air frames seems reasonable to me. I guess Do17, Ju-88 and Me110 seems like a reasoable shortlist at that point. Just really like the idea of flying an all glass nosed He-111. We'll never a see a B-29 so... 🙂

$0.02

14 hours ago, reece146 said:

...A Korean war '51 (H?) would be good too.

The "D" Model was used in Korea, so we already have that.

I agree, we need more subvariants.

Re: perception that Nick doesn't like such and such - does it matter what he personally likes? Mountain out of a mole hill taken out of context I figure. Sure, he might not like flying them or whatever in the real life. But, it's plain as the nose on your face that if ED is going to grow WW2 it needs to get more German planes in the game regardless. With the new clouds and lighting... ED should really work on getting more aircraft in the game quickly as a priority to capitalize on the momentum they've gotten. (see more variants above, see AI the rest below)

Did you hear the Grimreapers' interview with Nick?

You can't misjudge Nick's attitude towards german aircraft. And Nineline said multiple times that when he(9L) said Me262 to Nick, Nick answered that he likes the Hellcat...

Nick is the Boss and when Igor died in 2018, Nick got more involved in ED's business.

The warbirds are not the moneymakers for ED. Or how do you explain, that so much more modern stuff is in development compared to WWII stuff?

I would love to see more WWII/Korean stuff.

Anyway, twin engine German planes - makes sense to have something opposite the Mossie role and something for bomber hunting IMO. BoB bombers and newer. AI the rest. So, two full fidelity air frames seems reasonable to me. I guess Do17, Ju-88 and Me110 seems like a reasoable shortlist at that point. Just really like the idea of flying an all glass nosed He-111. We'll never a see a B-29 so... 🙂

$0.02

I think a german twin prop is viable in early/BoB scenario. Late scenario it is easy prey in Multiplayer.

A AI B-29 should be in the bag when the PTO is opened. A B-29 would also be useful for Korean theatre.

Fox

Edited by iFoxRomeo
typo
  • Like 1
Spoiler

2 hours ago, iFoxRomeo said:

Did you hear the Grimreapers' interview with Nick?

You can't misjudge Nick's attitude towards german aircraft. And Nineline said multiple times that when he(9L) said Me262 to Nick, Nick answered that he likes the Hellcat...

Nick is the Boss and when Igor's died in 2018, Nick got more involved in ED's business.

The warbirds are not the moneymakers for ED. Or how do you explain, that so much more modern stuff is in development compared to WWII stuff?

I would love to see more WWII/Korean stuff.

Yeah, I know the background behind the ideas of Nick's attitudes driving what will or won't be brought into the game. My point was more that surely he can see what people want and put his personal feelings about a real life aircraft aside versus what creates revenue.

Re: Me262 versus the Hellcat - given the Marianas coming it makes much more sense to add a Hellcat before the Me262.

In fact I'd take a Ju88 or whatever twin engine German raider we could get before the Me262. It would be a deeper experience to bring the '88. Circle back and do the Me262 after other aircraft have been fleshed out I say...

Edited by reece146

As I’ve said before ED need to work hard at creating an environment where more developers are creating stuff for DCSW. 

There are several developers making very decent warbirds for FSX/MSFS but other than the I16 from Mr Octopus all the DCS warbirds have been from EDs stable. With a handful of planes being worked on by different developers the pressure around what comes next would be a lot less.