M.2 drive. Heatsink or no Heatsink?

It depends on your motherboard. For example the Maximus XII has it's NVME slots "under"  heatsinks already so having a heatsink on the M.2 is an issue But to be honest I've never seen an issue with heat even with a M.2 just popped in a slot on the board. My old system had exactly that, and wasn't a problem. A lot also depends on the general airflow in your case too.

Edited by zildac

12900KF | Maximus Hero Z690 | ASUS 4090 TUF OC | 64GB DDR5 5200 | DCS on 2TB NVMe | WarBRD+Warthog Stick | CM3 | TM TPR's | Varjo Aero

15 minutes ago, zildac said:

It depends on your motherboard. For example the Maximus XII has it's NVME slots "under"  heatsinks already so having a heatsink on the M.2 is an issue But to be honest I've never seen an issue with heat even with a M.2 just popped in a slot on the board. My old system had exactly that, and wasn't a problem. A lot also depends on the general airflow in your case too.

Thanks. It's appreciated.  This is what I have.  I have a RTX2080 Super on the top slot. Seems like the fans from the video card blowing down on it might eliminate the need for a heatsink. I dunno.  

MotherBoard.JPG

492nd Squadron CO (F-15E): JTF-111 -  Discord Link

As far as I know it also depends on the generation: a PCIe GEN4 NVMe drive might need a heatsink, but I for one use an older Samsung 960 Pro which didn't ship with a heatsink nor did motherboards back then have heatsinks for their NVMe slots. My current motherboard does, so I put it under one just because it's available, not because there's a need to do so.

Edited by Raven (Elysian Angel)
  • Like 1
Spoiler

Ryzen 9 5900X | 64GB G.Skill TridentZ 3600 | Gigabyte RX6900XT | ASUS ROG Strix X570-E GAMING | Samsung 990Pro 2TB + 960Pro 1TB NMVe | HP Reverb G2
Pro Flight Trainer Puma | VIRPIL MT-50CM2+3 base / CM2 x2 grip with 200 mm S-curve extension + CM3 throttle + CP2/3 + FSSB R3L + VPC Rotor TCS Plus base with SharKa-50 grip mounted on Monstertech MFC-1 | TPR rudder pedals

OpenXR | PD 1.0 | 100% render resolution | DCS "HIGH" preset

M.2 is a form factor. NVMe and SATA drives both come in M.2 form.

SATA you probably won't need one, NVMe, you might. They're cheap enough and easy to install, so no big deal. A lot of motherboards come with one or two these days. My brother's motherboard was camo patterned, and had one on it which we stupidly overlooked for sometime @@ You could easily just not use it, though, if you had a aftermarket one.

Де вороги, знайдуться козаки їх перемогти.

5800x3d * 3090 * 64gb * Reverb G2