Killed my computer

Dingo (ZX-D)

I was enjoying 2.7 immensely but began getting a lot of crashes, during games and when entering, I’d spent some time optimising my settings with great results, I have an upper mid range computer.

Understanding this is a Beta and many of these issues would be patched I was happy to continue.

Progressively the crashing became more common until eventually, I had a crash from which my computer didn’t recover, it’s in the shop now undergoing repair (looks like I’ll miss the sale) and likely to cost me $$$$$.

it’s pretty bad when a game is so buggy that it kills computers so a word of warning to my fellow flyers, your computer can only crash so many times before it is mortally wounded.

1 hour ago, Flagrum said:

Software can not "progressively" damage your hardware.

I mean... lets just say that "cannot" is a too strong of a word in that sentence 🙂

Anyway it's 99.99% not the case here and OP has some other issue.

Edited by XPACT

3 hours ago, XPACT said:

I mean... lets just say that "cannot" is a too strong of a word in that sentence 🙂

Anyway it's 99.99% not the case here and OP has some other issue.

no, the program itself can not kill the PC, sure not. 

But applying many (if not all) of the cure recipes posted here may as worst case even cause a real serious problem e.g. system crash. 

1 hour ago, wernst said:

no, the program itself can not kill the PC

Software is controlling hardware, keep that in mind. Simplest example, you can in many instances with manufacturer software or exploits access specific parts of hardware that control voltage for specific components and you can set them beyond recommended and many times even beyond allowed values which would in turn kill the component (sometimes instantly) or shorten it's lifespan. Also there are programs that can indirectly damage hardware due to lack of adequate cooling such as power viruses. There are also many other ways to use software and damage hardware, it just depends what type of hardware it is.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, XPACT said:

Software is controlling hardware, keep that in mind. Simplest example, you can in many instances with manufacturer software or exploits access specific parts of hardware that control voltage for specific components and you can set them beyond recommended and many times even beyond allowed values which would in turn kill the component (sometimes instantly) or shorten it's lifespan. Also there are programs that can indirectly damage hardware due to lack of adequate cooling such as power viruses. There are also many other ways to use software and damage hardware, it just depends what type of hardware it is.

ok, then let me a bit more specific: DCS program will most probably not kill the PC. The latest update sure has serious bugs but is not killing. 

I was close to mess up my system completely just because I was applying some of the many "cure recipes" posted here. Later I was trying hard to get back where I had been before. 

The insidious and tricky thing here is, that obviously all crashes appear non consistently. Applying the one or the other cure recipes may as worst case even cause

another issue which adds even more unsolvable problems. Therefore systematic search for what is causing the crashes is almost impossible.

Meanwhile I rolled back to 2.5.6 stable and enjoy DCS crash free. 

Hehe no need to be specific, I understand 🙂 we went off topic when it is obvious that DCS has nothing to do with issue OP is experiencing, we don't even know if it's a software or hardware issue...

38 minutes ago, wernst said:

Applying the one or the other cure recipes may as worst case even cause

another issue which adds even more unsolvable problems. Therefore systematic search for what is causing the crashes is almost impossible.

I agree. I said this few times in the main crash thread, I at first also fell into that trap of "it's fixed" at the very beginning but soon realized it is so inconsistent that you can't even know if something you tried actually fixed it. Heck my game started working perfectly for 2 days just to start crashing again almost on every second mission launch. 

Of course never had a crash in 2.5.6 but I like to beta test and find solutions so I will stick with these bugged builds and help as much as I can 🙂

You likely had a GPU fault, or perhaps the graphics card cooling system. Could be the same thing with the CPU, as well. I had something like that, too. Turns out, it was something in the GPU cooling system that didn't quite work right, and it gave up the ghost eventually. For a long time, I suspected problems with the memory, because the programs that triggered the crashes were memory hogs, but it turned out that any GPU-intensive application could trigger it. The only thing DCS has to do with it is straining your hardware to the point it starts deteriorating, but it can't happen unless there's something wrong with it in first place.

16 minutes ago, XPACT said:

Of course never had a crash in 2.5.6 but I like to beta test and find solutions so I will stick with these bugged builds and help as much as I can 🙂

It's good to have courageous beta testers, generally it helps to bring DCS world further and make it better. 

But on other other hand: The 2.7 update was extremely huge. A ton of new features and bug fixes. The chance to introduce new bugs was consequently also huge.

And the chance to find the bug is more difficult as if the beta update would have had less volume. Small steps forward means less chance to stumble.

DCS (somewhat unnecessarily) pushes hardware closer to its limits than most other games do and you're more likely to unearth issues with your hardware you didn't know exist, be it heat dissipation issues, power supply problems or something else.

DCS by itself does not break computers. If you start "optimizing" your Windows settings and mess up your OS because of that, you can't really blame the software vendor. If you start "optimizing" your CPU or GPU clock speeds, don't (unless you're talking about built-in features in various "OC"/"XT" series GPUs or Intel CPUs that are supposed to run up to 1½ times faster than their advertised base clock).

---

In any case "you can't break hardware with software" is one of the great computer fallacies. Who remembers the times when you could write a simple BASIC program in DOS that broke your monitor by switching between video modes as fast as possible? Who hasn't (at least temporarily) bricked their HOTAS with a botched firmware update? With vendors offering various "boost" features in their GPU drivers nowadays, overvolting and overheating your hardware is easier than it has ever been.

Edited by andyn
anecdotes + typo fixes

Yes, software runs on hardware and therefore if hardware fails, software is always involved in one way or the other.

But it is the responsibility of the OS and it's drivers to allow access to the hardware within it's specifications. Regular applications like DCS have no real way to make the PC hardware work outside it's safe parameters - aside of user(admin!) errors and hardware issues.

These access violation errors some of us are getting with 2.7 are just that, OS is protecting itself from seemingly faulty software that wants to write/read from somewhere in the RAM where it's not allowed to which causes program to crash. If it let it do it's thing it could potentially brick OS or other software on the PC that is currently running in the main system memory, no hardware damage should occur from these type of errors but major software problems can and after some time surely would but with these fail safes that are within OS that shouldn't happen.